Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GlobalVR Arcade Classics's JoshuaOS Issues  (Read 4268 times)

McJones9631

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2021, 10:28:36 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
GlobalVR Arcade Classics's JoshuaOS Issues
« on: July 09, 2021, 11:43:37 pm »
So we purchased the GlobalVR Arcade Classics cabinet when it was new back in 2007. It has been a great machine for the last decade or so, but now we have an issue. The IDE hard drive, now celebrating its 14th year on this planet in August, and boy is it showing. The drive has suddenly started making some solid clicking noises, which (being in the tech repair trade) is a sign of impending hard drive death. (Also, it's IDE, who would think this drive would've lasted so long?) So I purchased a 2.5" Western Digital SSD like I always do to replace the drive and clone everything over to it. Well, it sounded simple enough.

This cabinet is running a OS called JoshuaOS. From what I've been able to find, which isn't much, is that JoshuaOS is completely proprietary. It also isn't mountable. So, after four days of struggling with every option humanly imaginable to get this to work, I officially am out of ideas. I would really like to not lose everything from this drive, all the high scores, all the everything. That's like 14 years worth of games and memories I really much prefer not losing when this drive dies. Is there anything I can do to be able to salvage and clone this drive?

DigDigDug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2021, 10:36:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: GlobalVR Arcade Classics's JoshuaOS Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 09:43:14 pm »
I too have a fully loaded Ultracade from about the same time period, and it is having the same aging issues. From what I've heard the license keys are tied to hardware IDs of components. If that means the hard drive, then a sector level copy & swap won't work. But I can't test that the moment as the cabinet has decided it no longer wants to power on. My plan is using my Fideco drive cloner -- no mounting required. Have you attempted something like this?