Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Opinions of the GRS USB Button Hole Spinner?  (Read 2599 times)

SRGilbert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2022, 08:58:11 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Opinions of the GRS USB Button Hole Spinner?
« on: April 09, 2021, 03:47:47 pm »
Hey all, I searched but couldn't find many reviews or opinions of Glen's USB spinner. 

I really just want a halfway decent spinner to add to an X-Arcade two-player controller.  I suspect it's probably not as high quality as the TurboTwist 2 from Groovy, but it's also a lot less expensive.    The few reviews on Amazon seem decent, but one recurring issue is it seems to lose connectivity? 

It also seems that this may be the same as the "Atari" branded spinner sold at Microcenter?

As a point of reference to my standards of quality, I actually don't hate the stock X-Arcade parts, so read that as you will.   ;D

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:16:09 pm
Re: Opinions of the GRS USB Button Hole Spinner?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 04:26:34 pm »
I've only used it with my 360 steering wheel setup but I never had connectivity issues with it.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 07:46:01 pm »
Yeah it work fine in my setup. 

My only gripe is the spinner connector isn't tight enough and you need a spot of glue to keep it from falling off, but it works as expected.

Moxxidude

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2021, 10:45:39 am
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 03:14:03 pm »
I just got around to testing my GRS buttonhole spinner out - I also purchased the GRS replacement spinner for my A1Up Asteroids cab (which works great). I was farting around with the buttonhole spinner and wanted to see if it would work "out of the box" with Atari Vault on Steam. I plugged it in via USB and worked really well. My only complaint is that it feels a tad "loose or floaty" in terms of spinning (not in quality, the quality is top notch) as in when I'm spinning I want it be accurate - but it seems like I could fix that in software. (I know my reply is a couple of months later but someone else might stumble on this).

thelanranger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2022, 07:24:32 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 09:26:01 pm »
I drunk bought one from amazon because I didn't have a spinner. I don't have anything to compare it to but it seems decent.
The majority of the mechanism is milled aluminum and it's definitely sturdy. My only real gripe is that it doesn't seem like they put any effort into making it balanced. There's a little nub in the knob for your finger and a hole to tighten the knob onto the spindle and these aren't offset or anything in such a way to make the knob balanced in weight across its diameter. I suspect that you could probably drill some little holes or something in the bottom of the knob yourself to even it out and make everything much more smooth but I haven't done that yet.

Connection to the system is zero effort, comes with a couple buttons (which seemed to be kind of 'generic brand' Japanese style buttons) which I didn't use, and all the wiring. Nice that it fits in a normal button hole so you could add or subtract it from the panel without much effort. I felt this to be a pretty big draw since I was planning to use 2 or 3 spinners and I didn't want to be 'stuck' with all that clutter on the panel if I ended up not using them or wanted to relocate something a little.

Works well enough for Off Road, Blasteroids, and a few of the other classics. /review