Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Configuration/Customization support for SlikStik - "Shifted" Keys - $BOUNTY$  (Read 1719 times)

swamp2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2021, 04:38:25 pm
Howdy. I've been off the forum for a very long time. Great to see a very active community still here. I recently had to majorly overhaul my Win98 PC powering my custom MAME cabinet. It is running Win98, MAME 0.73 and a SlikStick Classic (using an IPAC). I know - ancient stuff... The system was put together way back c. 2003. I need some help setting up some custom key maps.

I do not recall if my desired behavior is default or custom. At any rate I am trying to configure some keys to access MAME configuration controls directly from the SlikStik during gameplay. This avoids needing to use the keyboard. The most common example is emulating a Tab keyboard press from the SlikStik to enter the MAME configuration menu. I had this set up prior just fine using the so called "Shift" key functionality with the SlikStik. If I press and hold Player 1 Start key and then press the center joystick left, it is supposed to emulate pressing the Tab key (then other directions of the joystick can exit games (via Esc key), press Enter and control volume). This all worked reliably in the past. Now it works very intermittently, stops working and I can not figure out why.

I have tried deleting the default.cfg file in that MAME directory (as well as all of the files in that same directory). My old notes says this should fix this particualrt problem. It only seems to sometimes restore the functionality I am looking for. Regardless the capability then always disappears. I've also checked the default.ini file in the ctrl/SlikStik folder and it has lines for UI_CONFIGURE and UI_CANCEL.

Assuming it doesn't violate forum rules, I'll happily provide a $25 "bounty" for a robust fix for this issue!

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:00:46 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Hook up a keyboard and your joystick at the same time.

Use the keyboard to bring up the config menu.  Use the joystick to remap whatever inputs you want.  Really doesn’t matter what key presses it’s actually doing.

Done?

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:32 pm
  • Time to coin up!
Generally there are 2 parts to this.

One is programming the encoder to send the special shifted keystrokes

The other is setting up your emulators to accept the keystrokes and perform the desired actions.

You need to find out which of these 2 things is failing. Is your encoder sending shifted keystrokes? Which ones? Is it sending them consistently and reliably? (Maybe a microswitch is failing). Try opening notepad and performing actions and shifted actions and see what is coming up in notepad (assuming your encoder sends keystrokes and not actual gamepad output)

After you have that figured out you can move on to getting emulators to work but that will be easy after you determine the encoder works right.

swamp2

• Offline Offline
Try opening notepad and performing actions and shifted actions and see what is coming up in notepad (assuming your encoder sends keystrokes and not actual gamepad output).

Thanks. I've tried using notepad and it is not working as expected there. Shift (hold P1 start) and middle joy left should generate a Tab keystroke (for MAME game menu). It does not. However in the IPAC configurator it does show 16 (Tab key) under the SHIFTED KEYS tab under 1L (joystick 1 left). For the life of me I also can't get a 0 (zero) for the few Shifted keys that are not already set to 0 (almost all are).

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:00:46 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Use the mame config menu, not notepad, to see what keystrokes are being generated.

It doesn’t matter what they are, so long as they’re consistent.

swamp2

• Offline Offline
Thanks guys. Made some good progress last night. Issues were inconsistent limit switch behavior combined with a lack of understanding of the IPAC programming GUI.

I'm left trying to resolve the mapping between the labels on each connection on the PCB connections and the codes on the LEFT of the colons in this apparently proprietary SlikStik programming GUI. I can obviously trace each button to a labeled connection on the PCB. That doesn't help.

Some of the codes with U, D, L or R are obvious, but many others aren't at all. See attached. I expect the blue vs. white characters/digits are informative and by design. Andy from Ultimarc even replied to an email but basically only said the GUI is old and proprietary and to try a keyboard test program. Doesn't seem that will help as you can right click on the right side of each box and it tells you the key being pressed.

PS: I get you can do this in MAME for all games. I'd prefer a full understanding and control of the IPAC.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 04:38:25 pm by swamp2 »

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:32 pm
  • Time to coin up!
White/Blue are player one, white/whie are player2

Ie: 11 is player 1 button 1

21 is player 2 button 1

1u is player 1 up direction

2u is player 2 up direction

1s is player one start