Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A Nintendo Red Tent - My First Original Cab  (Read 28533 times)

meyer980

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 10:52:39 am
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
A Nintendo Red Tent - My First Original Cab
« on: March 29, 2021, 10:17:36 am »
Well, I'm diving into my first real restoration! I've built numerous MAME cabs, but other than working on other people's, I have very little experience with original arcades.

Figured if I'm gonna do it, let's do it right. Purchased a Nintendo Red Tent that needs some love. I'm going to try and get it back to proper order over the next year or so.

Getting it inside wasn't exactly easy

Most items I'm confident I can take care of. One monitor works fine, but going to do a cap kit on it. Power supply is old, so probably swap that out. Sanding/repainting the parts. One piece is NOT fixable though - the broken neck on monitor #2

So, I'm on the hunt for a replacement tube or complete monitor. Hard to find, I know, but I'm not in a hurry. If you know where to find one, hit me up! I'll pay what it's worth.

Broken monitor is nothing but trash now. I'll save the parts off it though.

Starting to take it apart

I ordered caps and flyback for the working monitor. Gonna do that in a couple weeks. I got a quote from a local powder coating company that will do everything for a decent price. Gotta decide if it's worth the cost though. Lots of other stuff to do while I decide that though. Wish me luck!

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: A Nintendo Red Tent - My First Original Cab
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 10:38:34 am »
Nice!  Should be a fun one when you are done.  You are right finding that monitor may be tricky.

What ROMS did it come with?

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 10:48:26 am »
Hi wp34, you're right it should be fun!

Came with Vs. Goonies and Vs. Super Mario Bros. I know at least one side works (got an image on the Goonies side which had the functional monitor). I know there are all sorts of options for swapping chips out, or installing a multi-board that has multiple sets. Something to investigate down the line.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 10:56:24 am »
Nice.

I used to play one of those at Pizza Hut.

It had Excitebike.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 11:24:50 am »
Nice.

I used to play one of those at Pizza Hut.

It had Excitebike.

Yup, Pizza Hut for me too. As a kid, I was a child of the "Book-It" program. Free personal pan pizza, plus my parents would toss me 50 cents for a game or two. It would have already been an older machine by the time I was playing it in '94 or so but I still loved it.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 11:32:43 am »
Dr Mario is the only VS game with any legs.  The damn music loops endlessly and loudly, though.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 11:39:36 am »
It would have already been an older machine by the time I was playing it in '94 or so but I still loved it.

You are making me feel old.

The other Pizza Hut near me had a Wizard of Wor cocktail and a Warp Warp upright.

Later on that Pizza Hut had a Neo Geo 4 slot, a Daytona, and a Police Trainer.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 11:46:21 am »
Dr Mario is the only VS game with any legs.  The damn music loops endlessly and loudly, though.

I *mostly* agree except the 2 sided games can be a real blast. Vs. Wrecking Crew or Vs. Balloon Fight are great co-op games.

It would have already been an older machine by the time I was playing it in '94 or so but I still loved it.

You are making me feel old.

The other Pizza Hut near me had a Wizard of Wor cocktail and a Warp Warp upright.

Later on that Pizza Hut had a Neo Geo 4 slot, a Daytona, and a Police Trainer.

Mike - not my intent at all! I may have technically been a 90's kid, but the 70's and 80's is where my heart is at.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 12:08:16 pm »
Hm. Yeah, I could see Balloon Fight being fun.  I didn't know of that game's existence until my tent was long gone.

VS Super Mario is hard and will annoy everyone.  We've also all played that game to death.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 02:31:59 pm »
It's only hard if you suck at SMB.... now smb 2 (japan) on the famicom... that's the hard one.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 04:32:11 pm
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 05:37:08 pm »
Mario 35 upped my SMB game a lot. Shame it is going away in a couple days.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 09:22:20 pm »
I only started playing a few days ago.   Why in the world they would make this a limited event is beyond me as I would gladly pay a years worth of online just to be able to play it. 

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 11:58:47 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2021, 09:43:10 pm »
I only started playing a few days ago.   Why in the world they would make this a limited event is beyond me as I would gladly pay a years worth of online just to be able to play it.

Somebody in marketing still believes that absence makes the heart grow fonder
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2021, 02:26:04 pm »
First update on this. Before doing body work, I wanted to get the electronics in order. That meant monitors.

After some searching, I found someone about 4 hours away willing to sell me his XM-1801 monitor, working. 1 down! Here's a shot of it in action.

The other monitor had all it's parts, and showed an image at first, but stopped working a short time later. So, decided to recap it.

I'm fairly new to soldering, only done a few small projects, so this was very slow for me. Anyway, once I have good picture on both sides and playing games I'll tear it apart to prepare for cleaning and painting.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 11:23:41 am »
Awesome that you found a monitor!  I figured that would be unobtanium.  Great news.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 01:59:29 pm »
Some small updates this week. I have two fully working monitors. The monitor I recapped and replaced the flyback on wasn't starting for some reason. I couldn't find anything I had done wrong so brought it to a local repair shop (Paradise Arcade) for their opinion. They quickly determined the replacement flyback was faulty. We put the old one back in and it's good to go, great picture. Apparently, this is a known problem. Many (if not all) of this specific reproduction flyback just aren't working for people. A real bummer.

Separately, I finished removing the hood from the machine finally. This took forever because several of the small brass screws were impossibly stuck and strip super easy.

I ended up using a combination of WD-40 and a high torque low speed drill to remove most, and a screw extractor set on the two worst ones.

The Isolation Transformer was missing the power switch (a common mod operators did back in the day) so I put one back in.

Finally, cleaned up the coin plates. Here's a clean one next to how it started. Both of mine have a lot of scratches that I can't do too much about but I think they still look good.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2021, 07:50:30 am »
That's cool that Paradise helped you with your monitor.   Great to see you making progress.   :cheers:

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2021, 11:18:29 am »
That's cool that Paradise helped you with your monitor.   Great to see you making progress.   :cheers:

Thanks wp34, working on an original is very new for me. Learning a lot!

Along those "learning a lot" lines, I'm learning how long/hard it is to disassemble a Red Tent. There are bolts everywhere and I think most of them are original because they're practically locked in. I've had to use a vice grip on a large number of them. Anyway, I finally have the top half off. Each day I make a little progress here or there.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 12:07:51 pm by meyer980 »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2021, 11:44:42 am »
When you disassemble take more pics than you think you need along the way.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2021, 11:44:53 am »

Along those "learning a lot" lines, I'm learning how long/hard it is to disassemble a Red Tent. There are bolts everywhere and I think most of them are original because they're practically locked in. I've had to use a vice grip on a large number of them. Anyway, I finally have the top half off. Each day I make a little progress here or there.

Yeah this picture gave me nightmares.  Like working on an old car.   ;D

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2021, 10:45:45 am »
After a lot of wresting, I have it almost completely disassembled and can move to paint soon. The final, and hardest, piece was some extra bars someone drilled into the thing to accommodate extra padlocks. Problem is they used carriage bolts but round holes, which also started to rust a bit. The coin bucket versions were hard but not impossible. The ones on the cab itself were extra difficult because you can't see what you're doing - they're inside a coin bucket slot. I had to use a camera to take some pictures, and eventually found out they used a combination of both hex and square nuts willy-nilly of several different sizes. Ended up having to cut a few bolt heads off for the absolute worst cases.

I also wanted to clean the shiny metal parts. Someone had painted many of mine black, so I first removed much of that by sanding.

Then cleaned them with a tumbler

They came out great

Joysticks are another problem. I was able to clean most of the parts with the tumbler, or vinegar/soap/sandpaper. But the shafts themselves aren't doing great yet. I've also found the small "ball" thing in the center of the joystick plate is extra gunky. Several rounds of WD-40 and scrubbing are necessary to get them real good. I'm not done yet but I'll post final pictures soon.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2021, 12:44:15 pm »
Glad to see this is progressing!

Joysticks are another problem. I was able to clean most of the parts with the tumbler, or vinegar/soap/sandpaper. But the shafts themselves aren't doing great yet. I've also found the small "ball" thing in the center of the joystick plate is extra gunky. Several rounds of WD-40 and scrubbing are necessary to get them real good. I'm not done yet but I'll post final pictures soon.

Working on Nintendo joysticks always reminds me of auto repair.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 07:26:06 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2021, 06:29:01 pm »
I'm cleaning up an old happ trackball i got cheap off ebay.
the shafts were rusty.
after letting them have a few rounds in the ultrasonic cleaner after a night soaking in CLR, I stuck them in a drill and and rotated them while holding 220 grit sand paper around them.
wet.

then finished off with 500 grit.
wet again.

while there is still some slight discolored rings where the ball wore the shaft down a little they are mostly shiny and smooth.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2021, 08:08:07 pm »
Talk dirty to me some more.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2021, 09:54:34 pm »
I hate nintendo joysticks with a passion.  They just feel off to me.  I've got a couple that I really need to sell but they are unobtanium at this point and I'm always afraid they might come in handy.   I'll be on hoarders before I'm 50.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2021, 04:23:18 am »
Glad to see this is progressing!

Working on Nintendo joysticks always reminds me of auto
repair.

THIS is funny

Talk dirty to me some more.

THIS is ---smurfing--- hilarious

I hate nintendo joysticks with a passion.  They just feel off to me.  I've got a couple that I really need to sell but they are unobtanium at this point and I'm always afraid they might come in handy.   I'll be on hoarders before I'm 50.

THIS I can identify with in numerous ways

:laugh2:
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2021, 04:10:39 pm »
Been a while since I posted an update! I've been keeping a tighter log on KLOV (since they're more original cab enthusiasts) but BYOAC is my oldest forum home so can't forget it!

Past couple weeks I've done a few things. Finished cleaning and assembling the 4 joysticks. I ended up re-cleaning them all again, I just wasn't happy with what I was getting. 2 or 3 more rounds with WD-40, then soap/water took care of that. I used a couple drops of 3 in 1 to lubricate them in the end. Real good movements now and no more gunk anywhere. BTW, I broke one of the e-clips while disassembling them. Not cheap for a tiny little thing! $1.75 for a single clip at my local Menards and couldn't find them cheaper online unless I was willing to buy a bundle or wait a month for shipping.

Next, I had to repair the holes in the coin buckets and frame a previous owner made for his added locks (see previous posts). I went with JB Weld for that and it worked pretty well. You can see my repair easily right now but I'm pretty confident it's smooth to touch so shouldn't be obvious once painted.

Lastly, cleaning the legs. Started with high grit sandpaper to removed some of the very top rust. Then I went with diet coke and aluminum for  (similar to some of the other metals I cleaned). That worked real well. Much shinier and most marks removed. Not perfect but I'll take it. I tried using Brasso and another metal polisher I had but honestly, it actually dimmed the mirror shine a bit when I compared two legs so I didn't use it all over.

Lastly, you'll a quick shot of my work area. The Red Tent has completely dominated my space!

Edit: Sorry about the skewing. I know there's a way to fix it but can't remember how. If you download the photos they look fine. They also uploaded in the wrong order but I'm sure you can figure it out!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 04:31:09 pm by meyer980 »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2021, 04:46:10 pm »
Next time you need something small like that clip just ask. I have a bunch of stuff like that scattered around my shop.

I could have popped a few of those in the mail for 51 cents postage.

Nice work restoring that cab. :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 08:32:09 pm by Mike A »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2021, 08:07:17 pm »
Harbor Freight sells boxes of those clips in various sizes.  I’ve got a million of them and needed like three.

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:32:47 pm
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2021, 10:17:32 pm »
That basement looks like a south Minneapolis house. :)

Looking great. I always wanted to play against my brother in Tennis on one of those. We used to play on the NES but we couldn't play against each other. We always played on level 5 on the same team.

J_K_M_A_N

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2021, 09:12:18 am »
That basement looks like a south Minneapolis house. :)

Looking great. I always wanted to play against my brother in Tennis on one of those. We used to play on the NES but we couldn't play against each other. We always played on level 5 on the same team.

J_K_M_A_N

Now THAT is a good eye. Yep, south Minneapolis I am. Could you really tell that just from my basement?

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2021, 10:07:08 am »
Well, the basement and the fact that you brought the monitor to Arcade Paradise. :) Lucky guess mostly. Our basement was pretty close to that though. Kinda low. I grew up on 46th and Pillsbury.

J_K_M_A_N

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2021, 12:32:31 pm »
Ah, nothing like ultra narrow streets, alley facing garages and strict winter parking rules.  ;D

I love south Minne, don't get me wrong. But As a former St. Paul resident, I am obligated to tell you that our nonsensical roads, leaky wet basements, and houses built on heavy inclines are a step up. My garage was designed to fit only a model T, but ignore that detail.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2021, 12:40:16 pm »
I have to play a bit of the waiting game now. I dropped off my parts for powder coating but, like many places, they're busy and I won't get them back until late June. I've also got numerous items I'd like to order from Mike's Arcade (difficult to find Nintendo parts specifically) but because of his recent fire many things are still out of stock. Wishing him the best!

In the meantime, I decided to clean up the metal frame pieces that hold the plexi and glass. Some Metal Rescue from Menards did a great job on the metal. Glass cleaner and a magic eraser took care of the see-through items. Nothing perfect but pretty good.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2021, 12:54:23 pm »
How did you get a forklift into your basement. ;D

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2021, 08:48:47 pm »
I continue to wait for my large pieces to be finished powder coating (I'm told this week or next, whew) so thought I'd share two things I've done in the meantime - things that really speak to the BYOAC-ness in me.

First, some coin plates. The two "plates" that hold the coin acceptor and reject buttons on my machine were scratched and painted red in some places. I cleaned and polished them as best I could, but there's only so much I could do. I figured there must be a way to replicate them, so gave it my best by drawing them up in Illustrator and have them cut out.

Some things to know: The originals seem to be either aluminum or stainless steel (I think steel because of their weight) and then either chrome or nickel plated. The Nintendo logo is, from best I can tell, etched or carbon printed on. It's not engraved or ink. So, that's what I'm trying to replicate.

No matter what I did, I'm not quite getting an exact shine match and I probably won't unless I spend mucho dollars to nickel plate them. Which of the 3 do you guys prefer?
1. Original but scratched and marked?
2. New Stainless Steel?
3. New Aluminum?

In that same vein, my machine came with only 1 of the tinted plexi pieces. I couldn't just cut a replacement myself, because it uses rounded corners to fit a special bezel they have built for it. No problem, the Internet has it all. I measured the corner radius and ordered two new pieces. Why two? I couldn't quite match the tint perfectly so wanted them to match. The photo shows the difference quite obviously, but in real life they appear much closer.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 08:52:09 pm by meyer980 »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2021, 04:23:27 am »
Keep the original coin plate that looks good for sure.

I know a member that might be able to tell you how to save the one that looks bad.

I will get him to respond here.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2021, 09:14:12 am »
The scratches on the stainless can come out..  The issue is the logo because it's in the way.
Removing scratches is really about 'sanding' them out with a low grit paper to make all of them uniform..  then using the next grit of paper to remove the last set of scratches.  and so on..  finally you get to a point where you can use a buffing wheel and compound to polish up the final finish.   

The second part is using silicon carbide sandpaper (easy to find) - the grit has to be harder than the material you are sanding to cut the metal. 
Your 'new' stainless part can be polished with a buffing wheel and compound pretty easily..  Getting the logo back on is the tricky part.
Not sure if that helps of not.

My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2021, 11:28:14 am »
Powder coated pieces are in the house! I couldn't resist putting one of the CPOs on, man do they look slick.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2021, 12:37:49 pm »
Very nice. :cheers:

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2021, 09:59:15 pm »
Wow! Those are beautiful!

J_K_M_A_N

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:08:03 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2021, 04:04:54 am »
Beautiful!  :cheers:

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2021, 04:59:37 am »
Beginning to look like they will turn out nicer than when they were new.

Outstanding effort.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2021, 11:30:43 am »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2021, 02:48:47 am »
So are you going to assemble this thing or leave us all with blue balls?  :afro:

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2021, 02:14:07 pm »
So are you going to assemble this thing or leave us all with blue balls?  :afro:

I'd love to and will...waiting on an order from Mike's Arcade for a couple little things mine is missing. And with his fire, my order keeps getting delayed. I've been told "soon" though.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2021, 04:57:31 pm »
That looks fantastic!  Better than new.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2021, 09:38:26 pm »
Got a real update today fella. Was able to finally complete my Mike's Arcade order so finally started re-assembly. Didn't get super far but progress is progress. I also printed and cut out all the instruction cards for the games I have games for. More to come later this week!

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2021, 09:41:58 pm »
Looking fantastic! Can't wait to see the finished product.

J_K_M_A_N

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2021, 12:05:34 pm »
This thread is my happy place.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2021, 01:16:39 am »

Have to agree.

Thie restore is awesome.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2021, 05:58:44 pm »

I've seen your work, so I'm taking this as pretty high praise. Thanks Mike! It has been fun.

Small update today, got the hardware installed on one hood - lining up these coin mech chutes to work consistently is a b*tch. I can't imagine being an operator back in the day and relying on these things. Anyway, it's looking good.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 06:00:46 pm by meyer980 »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:53:53 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2021, 11:34:33 am »
Holy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- that looks incredible.  You are taking the restoration to the next level.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2021, 09:46:29 am »
Yeah that looks like it rolled off the showroom floor.   :applaud:

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2021, 12:18:49 pm »
Quick update this morning. Got some of the electronics in, like power supply and power cord. The new power cord is a bit shorter than the old but in much better shape. Decided to use a rubber grommet to hold it in, instead of the original plastic strain relief. Much easier to take in and out now - but a little less protected too. Started putting the harness back too, and decided to mark all the connectors with either an M or S (sub or main side) because boy-howdy is it confusing where everything goes when there's two of everything. Continuity test and the original schematics helped me line everything up though.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 07:26:06 am
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2021, 03:36:08 pm »
that some sweet powder coating

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2021, 03:50:36 am »
Thats coming together real nice!
Great Job :)

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2021, 02:20:03 pm »
Probably gonna do a couple posts today. Just finished assembling control panel #2. This is the better of the two panels - using all new switches and buttons. I also needed 4 more "tall" button spacers - mine was missing them. The manual has the dimensions right there and it's an easy shape, so I 3D modeled them quick and printed out. Boom - free spacers. You can see them in the first picture and I'm linking to it on thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4948693

Not sure how much it matters but I'm following the manual to the specs on these. Using the roller switches on the select buttons and flat on A/B.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2021, 09:03:21 pm »
Last post today - Got the second hood assembled so I could attach both hoods back to their hinges. got the coin buckets and locks assembled. Attached control panels. Took a couple sexy pictures of the machine all assembled (at least cosmetically). Everything but the monitors is wired up. I almost put those in too, but wouldn't you believe it, one is acting a little funky so going to mess with it a bit outside the machine. Hopefully final pics coming soon!

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:53:53 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2021, 09:37:57 pm »
I’d be very happy if that were mine .   :applaud:

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2021, 08:41:00 am »
I don't know anything about them - but I know good work when I see it.  Well executed.  :applaud:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2021, 09:34:28 am »
They had one of those in one of the Pizza Hut's near me when I was a kid.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2021, 12:56:59 pm »

Yeah, my pizza hut did too. Would have been the early 90's for me. I think it only ever had Excitebike in it. We only went a couple times a year and I'd get 4 quarters to try my luck.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2021, 03:19:43 pm »
Man that turned out nice.   Even though I normally loathe Nintendo cabs with a passion I'd give my left arm for one of those.  I'd probably put a better joystick in it though.  ;)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2021, 05:55:29 pm »

Yeah, my pizza hut did too. Would have been the early 90's for me. I think it only ever had Excitebike in it. We only went a couple times a year and I'd get 4 quarters to try my luck.
Excitebike here too.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2021, 06:12:53 pm »
Final post for now, here she is running! I couldn't help taking a photo with it. I need to do some tweaking of the coin mechs, they only register every third or fourth time but other than that all is well.

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2021, 10:05:01 pm »
Beautifully done. Congrats. Great machine to have. I am jealous.

J_K_M_A_N

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2021, 06:29:30 am »
Dude. Seriously. Nice ---smurfing--- job.

Come out to my place and help me with some of my stuff.

I pay with beer, homemade pizza, and an arcade to play in.

That is a great restore on a machine that is difficult to restore.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2021, 08:05:59 am »
Great work.  Really well done.   :applaud:

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:08:03 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2021, 03:44:25 pm »
Sexy.  :cheers:

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2021, 11:02:28 pm »
Man, that is gorgeous.

Proof that patience and skill pays off.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2021, 10:03:30 am »
That is so outstanding.  You really should be proud of it.   :applaud:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2021, 04:37:47 pm »
Damn.  Impressive work on this restoration.  It looks brand new!    :cheers:

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2021, 08:51:35 pm »
Thanks all for the nice words! Been playing a bunch of tetris on it so far. Waiting to have friends over to give 4 player tennis a try. For people interested, made a super brief video tour.

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2021, 07:43:14 am »
Thanks all for the nice words! Been playing a bunch of tetris on it so far. Waiting to have friends over to give 4 player tennis a try. For people interested, made a super brief video tour.

Are we close enough friends yet that we could play some 2 player head to head tennis?  :D My brother and I used to play teams on the NES and we always wanted to play each other where we could both play from this side of the net, if you get what I mean.

J_K_M_A_N

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2021, 09:38:51 am »

It's beautiful. Clearly a labor of love and it shows - can't say enough good things about it.   :cheers:

RevoEmag

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:26:58 pm
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2022, 02:35:14 pm »
Impressive work! Any chance of getting the CPO scanned (or in vector format) anybody? Where i live, the only chance is printing one (mine are busted). Thanks in advance and sorry for the hijacking!

Enviado desde mi SM-A325M mediante Tapatalk

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2022, 03:41:24 pm »
There is a person on KLOV selling very accurate reproductions, it's where I got mine: https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/fs-nintendo-red-tent-control-panel-reproduction.485915/page-2#post-4475801
He's from Australia but ships overseas. His are printed on metal, just like the originals.

If you're okay going with a sticker, this is an option too: https://www.escapepodonline.com/products/red-tent-cpo-control-panel-overlay

I would scan one for you but don't have the right equipment to do so.

RevoEmag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2022, 03:57:44 pm »
There is a person on KLOV selling very accurate reproductions, it's where I got mine: https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/fs-nintendo-red-tent-control-panel-reproduction.485915/page-2#post-4475801
He's from Australia but ships overseas. His are printed on metal, just like the originals.

If you're okay going with a sticker, this is an option too: https://www.escapepodonline.com/products/red-tent-cpo-control-panel-overlay

I would scan one for you but don't have the right equipment to do so.
Thanks a lot for your answer.  That would be the best option, unfortunately customs here are complicated and, if it arrives, it would take 6 months if i'm lucky. So that's the reason i'm going with my own printing. I'll keep looking. Thanks!

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2022, 05:12:07 pm »
Okay, I wanna help.  :D I have two spares in really bad shape. I'll take some high rez pictures of them as straight on as I can and try to trace something up. I have some experience retracing CPOs so maybe I can get you something at least usable.

RevoEmag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2022, 05:30:24 pm »
Okay, I wanna help.  :D I have two spares in really bad shape. I'll take some high rez pictures of them as straight on as I can and try to trace something up. I have some experience retracing CPOs so maybe I can get you something at least usable.
That would be awesome! Many many many thanks!!!

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2022, 08:53:27 pm »
Okay here you go - a .pdf and .png attached. Since I don't have a large format scanner I had to use a camera and try to adjust for lens curve. I did my best to match measurements though so hopefully everything lines up. It should be awfully close no matter what.

I also didn't have an exact font match so used a very similar one and then manually adjusted a few things to match. It wouldn't pass for an original, that's for sure, but it'll get you close.

If you're able to test print on large paper and let me know what doesn't/doesn't match - I can make adjustments, too. Lastly, remember, the metal itself has rounded corners. My artwork doesn't show that.

Red = holes to cut
Black = Ink
White = No Ink

RevoEmag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2022, 09:17:29 pm »
Okay here you go - a .pdf and .png attached. Since I don't have a large format scanner I had to use a camera and try to adjust for lens curve. I did my best to match measurements though so hopefully everything lines up. It should be awfully close no matter what.

I also didn't have an exact font match so used a very similar one and then manually adjusted a few things to match. It wouldn't pass for an original, that's for sure, but it'll get you close.

If you're able to test print on large paper and let me know what doesn't/doesn't match - I can make adjustments, too. Lastly, remember, the metal itself has rounded corners. My artwork doesn't show that.

Red = holes to cut
Black = Ink
White = No Ink
Wow that was super fast! Thank you very much, it seems pretty much spot on. I'll try to print it in paper as a test and then go for the real thing. Thanks again! Cheers!

classicjoe72

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2022, 11:23:40 am
  • I want to build a Fix-It-Felix Jr.!
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2022, 09:03:28 am »
That's a beautiful looking cab! Welcome to the RedTent club! :)