Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Recommendations for a (somewhat) cheap Coin Door?  (Read 2588 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:39:33 am
Recommendations for a (somewhat) cheap Coin Door?
« on: March 29, 2021, 10:04:08 am »
I've been looking for a cheap coin door and THIS one for $35 ($45 with shipping) seems like a decent bet.  Anyone have one of these that can comment?  The next batch doesn't ship until June 5 so I have some time to figure it out.  Any other coin doors out there on the cheap?

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Recommendations for a (somewhat) cheap Coin Door?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 12:19:51 am »
EBay.
Just bought a 2 player for $25 shipped.
Needs paint and 3d printed lock.

Also you cab 3d print a fake one that is glued to the cabinet.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 02:43:15 pm »
imho the one posted in the first post isn't a real coin door.   I've never seen one that small in the wild.   Used on ebay is the way to go.   Intentionally get one that looks like garbage to get a good deal then sand and rattle can that bad boy and you are in business.  I had a giant cardboard box of coin doors I got on ebay eons ago for like $50 shipped.   I think I got 5 or 6 of various condition and styles and pieced together two or three good ones.   I still have a Nintendo style, a bally pinball and some random parts left.

All of that said, the only real reason to have a coin door on a mame cabinet is easy access to the inside to turn on a pc or hit the menu button.....   the novelty wears off pretty quick.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 03:55:11 pm by Howard_Casto »

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 03:13:05 pm »
Ebay is the way to go. Sort by lowest price and watch a few auctions , then filter that search by newly listed to snag a good buy it now. Then sort by ending soonest to see what's about to end. You will catch a good deal. Look to pay between 35-60

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 03:57:17 pm »
Twisted Quarter appears to have that same door for slightly more.  They are a great vendor and I order from them all the time.

https://twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=171_383&products_id=244

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 10:56:31 pm »
The one you posted from X-arcade is good. I used them on my Gorf and defender due to their small size. They look good and are quality units.

To Howard’s point, they do look a little less authentic not being a dual unit.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 10:59:14 pm »

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 03:13:34 am »
If you want a two mech version, this one is cheap for $36 shipped. It doesn't come with coin mechs or a cam lock, so if you don't have any on hand, that would raise the total price to $60 to purchase those elsewhere, based on $20 for two mechs and $4-5 for a hardware store cam lock.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcade-Game-Machine-Two-Entry-Coin-Door-2-SLOT-Coin-Door-for-Pinball-Game-A1R4/264777024855

I would also be tempted to put some tail light tape on the reject buttons to turn them red.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 10:07:38 am »
Holland Computers has a few as well but you would have to order the parts separately.   They are having a 10% off Easter sale right now.

Use coupon code EASTERARCADE2021 at time of checkout to receive 10% off of any arcade game parts purchases. Free shipping on orders over $1000. Sale starts now through April 16th, 2021. One use per customer.

https://www.hollandcomputers.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=3010

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 04:10:38 pm »
If you want a two mech version, this one is cheap for $36 shipped. It doesn't come with coin mechs or a cam lock, so if you don't have any on hand, that would raise the total price to $60 to purchase those elsewhere, based on $20 for two mechs and $4-5 for a hardware store cam lock.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcade-Game-Machine-Two-Entry-Coin-Door-2-SLOT-Coin-Door-for-Pinball-Game-A1R4/264777024855

I would also be tempted to put some tail light tape on the reject buttons to turn them red.

This one still isn't used in the wild either though.  That style would have a second door below for access to the service buttons and cash box.   I'm not trying to nit-pick, it's just if the point of having one is for authenticity then you have to get the genuine article.   As I said though, coin doors are a "just because" option and aren't super useful at home.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2021, 04:38:41 pm »
I think I have seen this one, but on like kiddie rides or something, but yeah, I get you 100%. It loses the subtle charm of an over/under or wide coin door.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 05:15:40 pm »
The one Vigo posted still looks more legit than the one Javerly posted.   I used a single door one on my Pac Man cabinet to save money.  It looks okay but is my least favorite thing about the cabinet and stands out to me as not being authentic.  Much better than having no coin door at all though.

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2024, 10:53:16 am
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2021, 05:48:32 am »
If you are building a home arcade, you put on a coin door for the looks more than anything.

Why not get a used real coin door to fix up when you got the toolbox open anyway?

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2021, 06:21:03 am »
 Yep, at least until you get to your 4th or 5th machine and realize you can hand out tokens/quarters instead of doing everything in free play and coin up buttons. Before then, the coin door is a novelty piggy bank function.  ;D

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2024, 10:53:16 am
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2021, 08:39:01 am »
As I'm from the Netherlands, my machines tend to come with Dutch Guilder mechs from the pre-Euro era. I need to find a stack of old currency :dunno

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2021, 08:41:21 am »
Old doors are expensive too.

romshark

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 02:50:59 pm
  • Arcade and Robotics enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2021, 11:57:40 am »
I've used the one listed in the opening post (well, the double-entry version, but same size and from the same site) for my TMNT cabinet. I've been happy with it. The cabinet is small, so a full-sized over-under coin door wouldn't fit. I went with the one from X-Arcade because of the dimensions listed on the site, so I was able to measure and make sure it would fit (hard to tell the exact measurements on some random coin door on eBay). Though if you're building a larger cabinet, then any used coin door on eBay would work nice.

On my "full-sized" cabinet, I do have a regular over-under coin door.

Both cabinets have working coin mechs, and take quarters.

I keep a small bowl of quarters nearby to play. It still feels better to me to insert a quarter than using just a button to coin up, or using a shifted-button combination on a MAME machine.

A coin door is also a great place to put admin controls and other stuff (like USB and ethernet ports) out of the way.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:39:33 am
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2021, 01:12:16 pm »
Hmmm... you guys have given me a lot to think about.  I agree that the single mech door I posted doesn't look 100% "right" (for lack of a better term) and a double mech door would look a lot better.  But they are almost double in price.  I don't mind the small size because I'm building a "Tully" which has limited real estate on the front panel once the marquee and speakers are placed.  But I am all about looks on the cabs I build which is why they end up costing a fortune.

Maybe I get a double door with no mechs to complete the look and rig the coin returns to be Coin 1 and Coin 2?  On the other hand, maybe one working coin mech is fine for a single player 4-way cabaret?

processedmeat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2024, 11:42:41 am
  • Ikeakade Here I come!
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2021, 02:10:34 pm »
Maybe I get a double door with no mechs to complete the look and rig the coin returns to be Coin 1 and Coin 2?

That's what I would do.  Also if you have access to a 3d printer, I made some microswitch holders to go behind the coin reject buttons so you can use them as coin up switches.  There are other versions if these don't fit your particular coin door.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4543135

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2021, 03:01:42 pm »
All my coin doors are for looks only. My life is a lie! The single door mechs look fine to me on my smaller cabs.

If looking at it will make you wish you went with a double coin mech - just get the double mech to begin with.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2021, 03:47:21 pm »
Hmmm... you guys have given me a lot to think about.  I agree that the single mech door I posted doesn't look 100% "right" (for lack of a better term) and a double mech door would look a lot better.  But they are almost double in price.  I don't mind the small size because I'm building a "Tully" which has limited real estate on the front panel once the marquee and speakers are placed.  But I am all about looks on the cabs I build which is why they end up costing a fortune.

Maybe I get a double door with no mechs to complete the look and rig the coin returns to be Coin 1 and Coin 2?  On the other hand, maybe one working coin mech is fine for a single player 4-way cabaret?

You can save a few bones going with some anycoin mechs. 2 for 8 dollars each. Arcadenut is a good guy and strikes a good deal. 

https://www.arcadeplastics.com/any-coin-mech

Otherwise, if the cost of mechs is still a deal breaker, I can probably send you something, as long as you are patient for me to dig out my stuff and see what I got.