Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Questions about the Omni2 joystick  (Read 1182 times)

SRGilbert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2022, 08:58:11 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Questions about the Omni2 joystick
« on: March 24, 2021, 03:54:58 pm »
Hello all, first post here.  I just ordered an Omni2 joystick from GGG to install into an X-Arcade 2-player and had a couple of questions while I await its arrival.

First, is it accurate that it's a direct drop in replacement for the stock Happs clone sticks or will I need to do any modifications?

Second, I know some have installed servos to rotate the restrictor plate, but has anyone tried using a push/pull rod to do the job?  I was thinking it might be possible to route a metal rod that would stick out (discretely) from the side of the controller casing?

Third, how's GroovyGameGear's shipping schedule been lately?  Looks like they were pretty backed up earlier this year, was just curious as to how long it's really been taking for people to receive their orders.

Thanks

jeremymtc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:12:00 am
Re: Questions about the Omni2 joystick
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 06:38:24 pm »
Ha. I recently ordered an Omni2 as well, but it is in transit right now so can't answer your fitment question. If Randy says that it fits a standard pattern though, I'd tend to believe it.

GGG fulfilled and shipped my order in 3 business days, which included time for brief correspondence regarding application for a different part. No issues at all.

SRGilbert

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 08:27:48 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I ask because I had read at least one or two old posts that mentioned it not being exact but none recently so I didn't know if they had redesigned it. 

jeremymtc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:12:00 am
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 10:36:04 pm »
Got my Omni2 in today, and can confirm that the mounting pattern is direct-fit for HAPP/IL stick replacement. The mounting plate is slightly longer on its long axis than the case dimensions of a HAPP, so depending on the routing of your panel you may end up needing to either trim down the plate or open up the rout a little. The difference is about 2mm.

I'm finding the Omni2 to be a really nice stick. Action is light with a short engage distance, with a longer travel to where the actuator contacts the restrictor. It has worked great for me in both 8-way and 4-way so far.

SRGilbert

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 04:18:12 pm »
Thanks!  Looks like it should be here tomorrow, wish me luck!  I’ll post back after I get it installed.