Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What do you guys think about multi-boards? 60-in-1, 412-in-1, etc.?  (Read 23604 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:39:33 am
Re: What do you guys think about multi-boards? 60-in-1, 412-in-1, etc.?
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2021, 09:31:26 am »
It's the general attitude of building something that YOU consider sub-par, for someone else, because they wouldn't know the difference that I'm questioning.   

This is the part I'm definitely wrestling with and why I'm glad people are so opinionated on this subject.  I do have high standards for any build - I want it to look and behave a certain way.  I really struggle with not providing the best experience I could.  But I also have to balance it with the fact that I will be 4 hours away and only see my family a few times a year - if something needs fixing, I won't be there to do it.  And I've noticed over the years that everyone from kids to adults really beat the hell out of arcade cabinets unintentionally.  Full force yanking on the joystick, slapping the CP when they lose, etc.

I can also look at this as a trial run - if the kids like the games and get into it, swapping out a multi-board or a pi for a PC running the latest version of MAME will be relatively easy to do.  Maybe that's uncle javeryh's 2022 Christmas gift?

That said, someone in here suggested I look in the Pi forum because there is a full version of MAME .229 for the pi4 that works and the creator (bbegin) said I could install Attract Mode on top of it to make it look pretty.  I did some digging and someone else made a vertical ArcadeSD Attract Mode Theme, which would be perfect.  So... I am going down the rabbit hole to see if I can get all three things to play nice with each other (MAME, Attract Mode and the theme).  If I get it working I think a lot of people would be interested in the image (no roms) but if it proves to be too difficult (likely, considering my skill set) I'll go down the 60-in-1 path.

The dream is actual MAME on a pi with an extremely simple GUI and no other garbage...

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 09:05:52 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2021, 09:40:11 am »
I've never had any issues with MAME's stability, especially if you're running a set of roms that all use the same basic keyboard-based controls. It's frontends like Hyperspin and Retroarch with all their bugs and hotkeys that are the problem. I imagine that there is a simple frontend with a basic game selection screen that would be as stable as a 60 in 1, although I only have experience with MAMEwah years ago and Hyperspin now.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 06:33:53 pm
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2021, 10:05:52 am »
This is the part I'm definitely wrestling with and why I'm glad people are so opinionated on this subject.  I do have high standards for any build - I want it to look and behave a certain way.  I really struggle with not providing the best experience I could.  But I also have to balance it with the fact that I will be 4 hours away and only see my family a few times a year - if something needs fixing, I won't be there to do it.  And I've noticed over the years that everyone from kids to adults really beat the hell out of arcade cabinets unintentionally.  Full force yanking on the joystick, slapping the CP when they lose, etc.

There is less difference and more agreement that one might think. Almost everyone on this forum uses emulators, so we are all guilty of running less than perfect hardware.

Most would agree that you should deliver the best you reasonably can, not just what the client is likely to accept. It is about of professionalism and pride in your work. The differences are often not in the first things people see, but in the little details that are revealed over time.

Is it wrong/stupid of me to agree with pretty much everyone here?

You're one of the smartest people in the room I think
Check out my completed projects!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2021, 10:18:56 am »
I've never had any issues with MAME's stability, especially if you're running a set of roms that all use the same basic keyboard-based controls. It's frontends like Hyperspin and Retroarch with all their bugs and hotkeys that are the problem. I imagine that there is a simple frontend with a basic game selection screen that would be as stable as a 60 in 1, although I only have experience with MAMEwah years ago and Hyperspin now.

I do not liked Retroarch/Retropie at all.  Even setting aside the ancient version of MAME that it uses it is so difficult to configure and get working like I want.  Why people need to see a picture of the cabinet or a flyer and all the other crap that is included is beyond me and 99% of the themes are set up for an Xbox or SNES controller so the instructions say "Press A", "Press Start", "Press Select", etc. which is nonsensical on an arcade cabinet.

It's hard to believe that no one has put together current MAME and a super simple GUI for a pi4 image yet but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.  I'm envisioning:

- Press button on cab to power on/off pi (with a safe shutdown script)
- Boot straight to GUI (Attract Mode with ArcadeSD theme)
- Move joystick to highlight game
- Press P1 Start to select game from list.
- Press some hotkey combo to exit game (either P1 Start+P2 Start or hold dedicated Exit button for 3 seconds)

That's it.  Maybe split it into horizontal and vertical versions?  It would basically function like a XXX-in-1 but use current version of MAME and a better GUI.  I wish I knew how to program stuff - I've got lots of ideas but zero know-how!

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2021, 11:44:15 am »
The dream is actual MAME on a pi with an extremely simple GUI and no other garbage...

IF the hesitation is stability issues due to corruption - hitting wrong button combos somehow etc. - What I have found to work fairly well is to include an extra sd card with a working image on it and taped inside the cab - along with keeping a backup copy that you keep - Let them know it's there and how to swap it into the pi if something goes wrong - Then have them call you if they use it and then you can burn another to mail/deliver to them to replace the non working one. ( the backup usually lasts long enough for you to send a new backup and you just collect the broken ones to reburn as needed ) Figure SD cards are really cheap these days so having an extra one or two ( can also give a second backup to the parents ) doesn't cost much and keeps things working if something does happen.

csnow

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2023, 10:30:54 am
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2021, 12:51:52 pm »
How does the BitKit compare to an AracadeSD card?  I really, really liked the ArcadeSD until it got stuck in maintenance mode.  That wouldn't be so bad except I was told it would be $100 to look at it with no promises and that I would get zero consideration toward a new purchase.  Needless to say, they went on my vendor chit list.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 01:26:52 pm by csnow »

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2021, 01:02:44 pm »
How does the BitKit compare to an AracadeSD card?  I really, really liked the ArcadeSD until it got in maintenance mode.  That wouldn't be so bad except I was told it would be $100 to look at it with no promises and that I would get zero consideration toward a new purchase.  Needless to say, they went on my vedor chit list.

The ArcadeSD has a better selection of games but they are emulated and not FPGA like the BitKit.  It is also no longer supported with updates. 

The BitKit is actively being supported with new updates and games being added every couple of months.  For me this is huge.

It likely comes down to cost and games when comparing the two.  I play my BitKit a lot more than the ArcadeSD for what it is worth.  The oddball games on the BitKit are very fun.  It has the best version of Crazy Kong I've ever played.

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2021, 01:25:52 pm »
How does the BitKit compare to an AracadeSD card?  I really, really liked the ArcadeSD until it got in maintenance mode.  That wouldn't be so bad except I was told it would be $100 to look at it with no promises and that I would get zero consideration toward a new purchase.  Needless to say, they went on my vedor chit list.

The ArcadeSD has a better selection of games but they are emulated and not FPGA like the BitKit.  It is also no longer supported with updates. 

The BitKit is actively being supported with new updates and games being added every couple of months.  For me this is huge.

It likely comes down to cost and games when comparing the two.  I play my BitKit a lot more than the ArcadeSD for what it is worth.  The oddball games on the BitKit are very fun.  It has the best version of Crazy Kong I've ever played.

Thanks for the reply.  I may end up just biting the bullet and getting another ArcadeSD.  This is for a dedicated 4-way/vert cab in the game room.  It was originally a Galaga/Ms Pac Reunion upright that i put a Wells 7k into it and an original Ms Pac control panel and added a leaf fire button button so that everything was period correct like I remember back in 81.  I like the BitKit but its missing two of my must haves - Donkey Kong and Dig Dug.  Any chance you want to sell your ArcadeSD?  I don't want to do a dedicated MAME build for this cabinet. 

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:54:30 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2021, 01:28:43 pm »

IF the hesitation is stability issues due to corruption - hitting wrong button combos somehow etc. - What I have found to work fairly well is to include an extra sd card with a working image on it and taped inside the cab - along with keeping a backup copy that you keep - Let them know it's there and how to swap it into the pi if something goes wrong - Then have them call you if they use it and then you can burn another to mail/deliver to them to replace the non working one. ( the backup usually lasts long enough for you to send a new backup and you just collect the broken ones to reburn as needed ) Figure SD cards are really cheap these days so having an extra one or two ( can also give a second backup to the parents ) doesn't cost much and keeps things working if something does happen.

why is this even a thing? if friggin 2021 for gods sake. can we just open a file to read it? why do we have to chance corruption if we turn it off cause a file system is mounted or some crap? Why do we have to hold crap in memory and the write it back without updating the file system so crap gets corrupted if we shut it down? this kind of stuff should be READ ONLY. PERIOD.

load it into memory and get the fawk off the disk already. who gives a crap if you have to wait?

unless you feel like being a permanent on-call technician, 60-in-1 is bulletproof.

besides, these games were dead before these kids were born, who gives 2 craps if the sound is slightly off or a pixel is the wrong color?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 05:15:46 pm
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2021, 01:50:42 pm »
Most people seem perfectly happy going through a shutdown menu on Windows but freak out if you tell them to do it on a Pi.  Try just pulling the plug on your PCs and you might get lucky most of the time.

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2021, 01:54:38 pm »
besides, these games were dead before these kids were born, who gives 2 craps if the sound is slightly off or a pixel is the wrong color?

I do.

That's not even the worst of the problems with 60-in-1 boards. They have poor timings so the games do not play the same as they originally did, they have input lag so controls are not as responsive as they should feel, they have games on them that do no display properly and are completely unplayable, and on top of all that they use a version of MAME that is under a non-commercial license and are completely illegal to own and use. Promoting them here is disrespectful to Haze (who has been an excellent resource here over the years) and the rest of the MAME project.

A BitKit, MiSTer, JROK board or a proper GroovyMAME setup play the games an order of magnitude better than these pieces of Chinese junk.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2021, 02:07:48 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I may end up just biting the bullet and getting another ArcadeSD.  This is for a dedicated 4-way/vert cab in the game room.  It was originally a Galaga/Ms Pac Reunion upright that i put a Wells 7k into it and an original Ms Pac control panel and added a leaf fire button button so that everything was period correct like I remember back in 81.  I like the BitKit but its missing two of my must haves - Donkey Kong and Dig Dug. 

That is a great setup for either the BitKit or ArcadeSD.   :cheers:

Any chance you want to sell your ArcadeSD?  I don't want to do a dedicated MAME build for this cabinet.

I don't want to give the ArcadeSD up.  I'm going to put it in a cabinet with the BitKit and one of Riddle's Jamma switchers soon.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2021, 04:30:07 pm »
I do.

but who are you? are you a 10 -15 year old who has never even seen or played pacman or galaga? if something was wrong, how would they even know? as was said by jim, these kids will play it for a while...get sick of it, and that will be it. for the sake of ease, 60-in-1 is the way to go here.

they use a version of MAME that is under a non-commercial license and are completely illegal to own and use.

you want to get pedantic, literally everything mame is illegal with anything but homebrew roms that people have posted there and expressly allow their use. nobody has rights to any games you'd ACTUALLY play with it anyway. besides, mame changed their copyright cause the implication of use was going to get them in trouble.

Code: [Select]
MAME
Copyright (C) 1997-2021  MAMEDev and contributors

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along
with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA.

that's it. that is all of their legal licence now. they are basically hoiking the legality onto the person using it. so i guess what should happen is the 60-in-1 should update the version of mame it's using then?

the way i see it you stealin' roms owned by companies like midway and nintendo and go with mame... or you violate an old licence for software from a group who propose you steal roms from somewhere else to use with their software... (oh, provided its legal for you to do so in your country of course.) and you stealin' roms owned by companies like midway and nintendo i personally don't see a difference either way.

but of course, you have permission to use those 10,000 roms you got on you groovymamebitkitjrokmisterwhatever you got there. i'm sure you have your garage stuffed to the roof with the mountains of paperwork from nintendo and sega and midway and capcom and cave and and and and... allowing you to download and you can legally play the games.

don't whiteknight mame as being good and 60-in-1 is evil. literally everything is illegal... and trying to make it legal is impossible and futile cause everyone wants theirs.

you can only justify choosing one or the other and convince yourself that it is good.

i guess also this falls into the cognitive dissonance balance theory and it's correlations... the premise:  the software on the 60-in-1 is illegal and the roms are illegal, therefore 60-in-1 is illegal and mame is legal and the roms are freely available...so it must be not illegal. our drive to maintain psychological balance allows us to justify one being good and the other bad, all the while, both actually being bad.

</ :soapbox: >

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2021, 06:06:27 pm »
[I don't want to give the ArcadeSD up.  I'm going to put it in a cabinet with the BitKit and one of Riddle's Jamma switchers soon.

These two videos sold me on the MiSTerCade JAMA board.  I don't think its ready for sale, but I have other projects to wrap up so I am not in a hurry.  This thing looks like a game changer.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 06:09:08 pm by csnow »

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:28:42 am
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2021, 06:13:30 pm »
I've been reading the thread over on the Raspberry Pi & Dev Board on using a Pi 4 for a dedicated current Mame version build.  This type of build could be a bit daunting for those new to Linux based systems but ... it's put the hook in me.  I think I'll have a play with the build approach on a Pi 4.  I'm fine with Linux and Pi stuff.  The guy has already produced a working image, but a step by step guide in layman's terms might be useful.  To date I haven't used a pi for arcade stuff at all.  I use them for other stuff like media servers or VPN servers etc.

This may not fit your time line javeryh, but a clean build free of the stuff you hate may be useful to you. Either way  I like playing with Pi's, should be interesting.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 06:23:29 pm by Ond »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2021, 06:21:34 pm »
I've seen that top video and agree that the MiSTer Jamma looks very impressive.  A MiSTer is in my future for sure.   :cheers:

[I don't want to give the ArcadeSD up.  I'm going to put it in a cabinet with the BitKit and one of Riddle's Jamma switchers soon.

These two videos sold me on the MiSTerCade JAMA board.  I don't think its ready for sale, but I have other projects to wrap up so I am not in a hurry.  This thing looks like a game changer.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2021, 07:00:50 pm »
Quote from: javeryh link=topic=164728.msg1735954#msg1735954

Actually that is well.... was my dream too.

Its now reality with the handful of games I love to play.

Tell Alexa to fire it up, select a game.  Hit two buttons to quit game.  Simple menu.

One button to quit and Alexa to power it off.

Bliss.

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 03:12:48 pm
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2021, 07:21:13 pm »
I power my MiSTer on and off with Alexa too, it is fun..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2021, 07:52:59 pm »
I've been reading the thread over on the Raspberry Pi & Dev Board on using a Pi 4 for a dedicated current Mame version build.  This type of build could be a bit daunting for those new to Linux based systems but ... it's put the hook in me.  I think I'll have a play with the build approach on a Pi 4.  I'm fine with Linux and Pi stuff.  The guy has already produced a working image, but a step by step guide in layman's terms might be useful.  To date I haven't used a pi for arcade stuff at all.  I use them for other stuff like media servers or VPN servers etc.

This may not fit your time line javeryh, but a clean build free of the stuff you hate may be useful to you. Either way  I like playing with Pi's, should be interesting.
This would be incredible.  My timeline is Christmas so plenty of time.  Also, if it works, I’d use a build like this in a lot of future projects.

I just got my hands on a pi4 and put bbegin’s image on the SD card.  I didn’t get to power it up though because of family stuff but tomorrow I’m going to mess around with it.  The pi4 came with a book that has some basic Python info in there so I’m going to read through that too.  I’m a total noob but this stuff interests me so maybe I’ll learn something.

By the way, Attract Mode might not work - bbegin said that https://pegasus-frontend.org/ would work better but I have no idea what that is yet.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2021, 08:02:27 pm »

This would be incredible.  My timeline is Christmas so plenty of time.  Also, if it works, I’d use a build like this in a lot of future projects.

I just got my hands on a pi4 and put bbegin’s image on the SD card.  I didn’t get to power it up though because of family stuff but tomorrow I’m going to mess around with it.  The pi4 came with a book that has some basic Python info in there so I’m going to read through that too.  I’m a total noob but this stuff interests me so maybe I’ll learn something.

By the way, Attract Mode might not work - bbegin said that https://pegasus-frontend.org/ would work better but I have no idea what that is yet.

That's plenty of time.  I'll get a Pi 4.  Just out of interest which memory config did you go for 2, 4 or 8Gb?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
What do you guys think about multi-boards? 60-in-1, 412-in-1, etc.?
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2021, 08:48:05 pm »

That's plenty of time.  I'll get a Pi 4.  Just out of interest which memory config did you go for 2, 4 or 8Gb?
I got a 4GB.  I actually bought a kit for $80 at Micro Center.   The board is $55 with 4GB of RAM so for $25 extra I got the power supply, mouse, keyboard, case, 16GB memory card two HDMI cables and a beginner’s guide.

Edit: this one- https://www.microcenter.com/product/610360/raspberry-pi-4-model-b-official-desktop-kit
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 09:03:02 pm by javeryh »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:57:40 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2021, 04:06:33 pm »
You’re gonna regret it.

:cheers:

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2021, 04:21:43 pm »
You’re gonna regret it.

:cheers:

lol.

prepare to have a call 2 days after drop off... "It's not working"

should name it "perpetual service call machine 2021"

/thread

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:18:54 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2021, 04:27:40 pm »
Should we start a pool?

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2021, 04:30:57 pm »
I love being told stuff like that.  Bring it.  >:D

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2021, 06:43:26 pm »
I just want to clarify that we are talking about having the best possible user experience and using a pi in the same post. Am I reading this right?  :lol

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2021, 07:37:39 pm »
I just want to clarify that we are talking about having the best possible user experience and using a pi in the same post. Am I reading this right?  :lol

With pi 2 or 3 and Retropie I'd be laughing too.  Pi 4 with a recent Mame build, no Retropie, may be a game changer. We'll see.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2021, 07:42:14 pm »
Guess I need to video my NES Bartop running RetroPie to prove how nice it runs.  I have to wonder if folks trashing it have ever built a setup.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2021, 08:19:29 pm »
Guess I need to video my NES Bartop running RetroPie to prove how nice it runs.  I have to wonder if folks trashing it have ever built a setup.

Calm down. My interest is piqued. My Gorf build is running a Pi, I have a nice NESPi build, and I've built and sold several pi based systems. I know how to build a nice Pi system, but I'm just pointing out that a pi based system isn't generally thought of as the best user experience.

Make it a linux based system running straight mame and assuming it has enough horsepower (to include video performance) and you could have something. If anyone can do this, OND can, but I wouldn't bet on the Pi for this.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 08:22:51 pm by leapinlew »

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2021, 08:56:00 pm »
Lew...where did I not act calm?  There is a long line of folks I was responding to don't take it so personal all because you made the last comment.  I'm not going to argue about quality with a guy that bought a pallet of Arcade1Ups....haha.

I think my system is running pretty nice.  Just made a video but had to order a cable to get the video off of my iPad to a PC so I can edit so I'll show it off in a day or so.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:09:56 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2021, 09:08:50 pm »
I thought we were talking about the best possible path of least future maintenance for Uncle Javeryh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2021, 09:13:34 pm »
So... I’m pretty sure I hate Retropie and I have it running in my bartop.  I spent countless hours tweaking and configuring it and it still doesn’t behave like I want it to.  I am not great at messing with it though so that might be a limiting factor but I wouldn’t put a pi running Retropie in a cabinet for someone else.  That said, it does work and it is easy for me to use (not others) so I totally understand why it’s so popular. 

But... actual MAME running on a pi4 with a basic front end and nothing else might actually work.  Most importantly, no setting menu visible to the user.  I’m intrigued enough to at least mess around with it and see if it’s possible.

If it doesn’t work no harm and I’m still going to pick up a 60-in-1 regardless.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2021, 09:31:38 pm »
Yeah javeryh I'm not trying to convince you to use RetroPie I'm just saying I've got it running pretty nice and I actually did build one for someone's family and they've had it for a month with no service calls.  I've never used a 60-in-1 so I can't comment on that.  I did order a BitKit today and a Jamma harness so my next cab will be a vertical one that can run jamma compatible items.  I'll probably setup the MiSTer to run in it also.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2021, 09:51:03 pm »
I'm not going to argue about quality with a guy that bought a pallet of Arcade1Ups....haha.

haha! To Sell! I ordered it to sell! I have a history of trying to make money with this hobby, so I can afford to buy more parts, so I can build cabs, so I can sell them, so I can buy more parts - you can see the viscous cycle I got myself in. And I did make money, it was just more risky than I like to be.

It's just a weird kinda flex. You want to show off your retropi - I'll watch the video. I doubt it'll make me think it's the right solution for a cabinet that I would have to maintain and I'm not geographically near.

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2021, 11:21:24 pm »
What would really be cool would be a bare metal port of recent MAME to the PI 4. Bypass the Linux video subsystem completely.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2021, 08:43:44 am »
It's just a weird kinda flex. You want to show off your retropi - I'll watch the video. I doubt it'll make me think it's the right solution for a cabinet that I would have to maintain and I'm not geographically near.

"A weird kinda flex"...well I have been working out...wait till I take off my shirt in the video...lol.

I do have a build thread with some photos of the bartop and in that thread javeryh said he would like to see a video of it in operation.  It will be posted there not here.  I'm not promoting it for this application I just don't believe its as bad as people make it out to be.  Most of them aren't saying that RetroPie is bad for this particular purpose they are just saying it sucks.  That was not my experience.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2021, 09:04:01 am »

"A weird kinda flex"...well I have been working out...wait till I take off my shirt in the video...lol.

I do have a build thread with some photos of the bartop and in that thread javeryh said he would like to see a video of it in operation.  It will be posted there not here.  I'm not promoting it for this application I just don't believe its as bad as people make it out to be.  Most of them aren't saying that RetroPie is bad for this particular purpose they are just saying it sucks.  That was not my experience.
I think people say it “sucks” because of the inferior version of MAME that Retropie runs.  In a bartop, I can let that go mostly because of the form factor already being a different experience than standing at a cabinet.

For me, not being able to make it behave the way I want is why I do not like it.  The Retropie front end locks you in to the “system” -> “game list” setup and although you can boot to a specific system or even a specific game, you can always back out to the system menu.  Even if you are only running one “system” (MAME).  This is because in the system menu there is a Retropie Settings “system” which allows you to change how things work.  Great if you are the only user but bad if there are guests/kids involved who will eventually change something.  And even if they don’t, it’s not clean.

So what I’m hoping Ond can figure out is how to use bbegin’s MAME .229 image with a simple vertical front end to run a dedicated MAME set up on the pi4 with easy on/off.  It would be the best of both worlds - cheap set-up but full MAME experience and no clutter.

Also, I’m looking forward to your video!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 09:08:27 am by javeryh »

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2021, 09:23:52 am »
Well RetroPie does have 3 different UI modes:  Full, Kiosk, and Kids
I set the one I gave away to Kiosk mode which eliminated most of the things from the system menu.  I tried the Kids option and it seemed to remove all the games so I wasn't sure if there was a need to mark games as kid friendly so I just switched back to Kiosk mode.  If you only want to run Mame your plan is fine.  I also wanted a few other systems like Daphne, NES, Sega Genesis, and N64.  Using a Pi was the least expensive way for me to provide the bartop to my friend.

I have also been following the Mame for a dedicated Pi thread long before you and Ond jumped in it recently.  I've been real close to following the steps and trying it out since it would be fairly easy to swap out SDCards.

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 03:12:48 pm
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2021, 10:56:56 am »
Just a BitKit heads up.. Dig Dug is next on his list, that would leave Donkey Kong as the remaining missing piece. I wonder if he has made a conscious decision to not Include Donkey Kong on the BitKit. I don't own one currently but for your project it really does seem like it would be a fantastic fit, minus of course DK, which I completely understand removes it from contention.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2021, 11:27:58 am »
Well RetroPie does have 3 different UI modes:  Full, Kiosk, and Kids
I set the one I gave away to Kiosk mode which eliminated most of the things from the system menu.  I tried the Kids option and it seemed to remove all the games so I wasn't sure if there was a need to mark games as kid friendly so I just switched back to Kiosk mode.  If you only want to run Mame your plan is fine.  I also wanted a few other systems like Daphne, NES, Sega Genesis, and N64.  Using a Pi was the least expensive way for me to provide the bartop to my friend.

yeah, I tried kiosk mode but it still leaves that menu although it is trimmed down.  I also tried kids mode but didn't notice a difference?

Just a BitKit heads up.. Dig Dug is next on his list, that would leave Donkey Kong as the remaining missing piece. I wonder if he has made a conscious decision to not Include Donkey Kong on the BitKit. I don't own one currently but for your project it really does seem like it would be a fantastic fit, minus of course DK, which I completely understand removes it from contention.

Is there an up to date game list somewhere?  Dig Dug would be nice - I play that one a lot.  No Donkey Kong would be a deal breaker for me personally but not necessarily for my nieces and nephews who I guarantee have no idea what that even is.