Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Driving cab kits  (Read 3223 times)

Spike788

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2021, 10:14:29 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Driving cab kits
« on: January 03, 2021, 05:11:05 pm »
Can anyone direct me towards sellers of driving cabinet DIY kits? Something that comes with everything (basically just the cabinet itself not electronics) and just needs assembled. Thank you.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:58:32 am
Re: Driving cab kits
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 03:10:20 am »
If you are not going to convert an original cabinet (which in my head implies interfacing the original controllers and monitor), you would be better with a good pc wheel in front of your led monitor of choice. The "cabinet" is only a waste of space and money.

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2024, 05:34:13 pm
Driving cab kits
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 08:54:59 am »
I was in the same boat, there is monsterarcades that sells an overpriced cabinet that is in between a Sim rig and an Arcade cabinet, way too expensive for what it is, you could buy a racing seat and rig for way cheaper and it will look the way it’s supposed to look, if only someone would produce a Sega shaped cabinet, although the plans for one are in one of the stickies.

There is another guy in Australia doing some, more Arcade like but shipping would probably be crazy.

I found a used cabinet and I’m currently having it gutted and retrofitted with a G29 setup, plenty of people have done it and it opens you up to a lot more games and a lot less problems. I wouldn’t find that to be a waste at all, nothing like sitting in a real cabinet I grew up with.

I would be open to using original hardware but seems very complicated , Im not sure it works well with a lot of games.

From my understanding, it would be worth using original hardware if you wanted to restore a game like Daytona, but that it makes more sense to use a Logitech type setup if you want a multi racer or the ability to play newer games.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 01:30:09 pm by Rockstead »

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:58:32 am
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 02:26:16 pm »
When you are immersed in your gaming, the feel comes mainly from the wheel. Using a G29 will return the feeling of playing at the PC, no matter the seat or wood "frame" you are inside.
For a "genuine" experience you are in the need for an original cab, time to "waste" getting into electronics and passion. This will be the most rewarding approach.
In alternative, instead of wasting you money in overpriced pieces of wood, buy a very good PC wheel and have fun with your PC.
This is the way (cit.)
:)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 02:32:44 pm by baritonomarchetto »

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2024, 05:34:13 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 06:49:19 am »
This guy did an amazing conversion using a Sega cabinet with an Outrun theme, I’m all for keeping things original but look how immersive it is, and the Logitech controls look great and fit in.

I’m guessing his build thread must be here too

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 01:53:14 pm »
I would just like to chime in and say you need a cockpit of some sort.  Playing racers with your wheel pitifully clamped to your desk with the FF wobbling everything to hell and the pedals sliding all over the place is not a fun experience.  That stuff needs bolted down and the pedals in many instances need put on an incline. 

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 05:25:48 am »
Agree wholeheartedly with Howard.

If you have the space and are going to do it, half-assing it ain't the way.

The Monsterarcades one being overpriced is a matter of opinion (possibly ill informed at that I think.)

I just disassembled a Rush 2049 that was water damaged and termite ridden (to rebuild a new cabinet for the guts) and $1000 for all the engineering, material, and effort to produce anything like that is quite reasonable really.

Just the wood, glue, fasteners, laminate, t-mold, casters, and... will be at least $400 realistically.
Add to that weeks of spare time (which I don't have right now myself) and the fact that beast comes with an adjustable seat, flooring, and is ready to go?
Just a replacement seat for the Rush cabinet is over $400 shipped.

Unless you have the time and enjoy building that looks like a great option.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 11:02:51 am »
There is a company called Ricmotech that sells diy plans for a nice looking cockpit for like 35 bucks. I ended up building my own cab from scratch, but its not a bad option. If you are really afraid of the building aspect of it, you could try and find a local company with a CNC machine that might cut out the pieces for a fee, then you would just have to assemble it.

I personally am a big proponent of having a dedicated cab for driving games, but to each their own.

https://www.ricmotech.com/build-your-own-racing-cockpit

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 02:28:03 pm »
I built my cockpit off of an image of the ricmotech plans because they are so basic you can just look at an image of the finished cockpit and figure it out.   It's a solid design, but I don't know why you'd need to spend $35 for plans unless you want a cnc to cut it out or something and I don't think they have cnc-ready plans.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 01:38:57 am »
There is a company called Ricmotech that sells diy plans for a nice looking cockpit for like 35 bucks. I ended up building my own cab from scratch, but its not a bad option. If you are really afraid of the building aspect of it, you could try and find a local company with a CNC machine that might cut out the pieces for a fee, then you would just have to assemble it.

I personally am a big proponent of having a dedicated cab for driving games, but to each their own.

https://www.ricmotech.com/build-your-own-racing-cockpit

Appreciate the link to those guys.

If I could get a V carve or other CNC kind of file I certainly would use it myself.
I do like building but have seriously limited time at my disposal lately.
Having pre cut pieces to be assembled would be awesome.

The classicarcadecabinets site has a lot of plans but no driving cabs that I could find.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

fablog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2024, 10:30:06 pm
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 11:22:57 pm »
I built a stand up full height cabinet and it took me years to finish it because I hadn't much time. I'm finishing right now a conversion of a Sega racing cab and it's so much easy and quick. It's all metal and plastic, it's a dream cab for a conversion. You just have to wait for a good sale. I paid mine 350$ gutted and shipped to my house. The fun part is to cut the dash to put a g27/g29 inside. You can use the original shifter and pedals.

Envoyé de mon LEX722 en utilisant Tapatalk