Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cruising USA / World in Racing PC  (Read 2625 times)

silvereagle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2023, 05:10:23 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Cruising USA / World in Racing PC
« on: December 29, 2020, 08:51:52 pm »
Hi everyone. Long time member first time posting.

I'm looking for some help or guidance in running Cruising USA and World on my PC. I have both games running on my Driving Mame PC, bit both have very poor audio and frame rates. Specs are AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor, GtX970, 20GB of ram. I'm currently using MameUI64 version 0.226. Would an older version of mame help or is it a CPU issue?

Thanks in advance fellows 🙂

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:35:36 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
Re: Cruising USA / World in Racing PC
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 11:53:51 am »
Processor speed is the biggest variable for MAME performance. Just googling, it looks like you have a 3.2 Ghz processor. Your setup is really similar to mine and I also have issues running 3d and other demanding games through MAME. If you want MAME to run better, you'll likely need a 4 Ghz or faster processor.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 11:57:50 am by KenToad »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 04:37:12 pm »
Even with a fast enough processor the Cruisin' games still have some audio issues.  A better alternative might be to just play the n64 games. 

terarc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2021, 02:40:20 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 05:15:15 pm »
If it helps, I don't have problems running MAME racing games (their are a few exceptions like  Cruis'n exotica and others) but for the most you can run quite a few. I can run Cruis'n USA and World without problems. I converted  a Cruis'n World Cab to nothing but racing games from all the emulators to included PC racing games. The cab has a 32" monitor and for control I use the Logitech G920 w/pedals works great.

I have:
Quad core Intel I5-7600k CPU @ 3.8GHZ
Nvidia GTX 1060 4GB
8 GB RAM

silvereagle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 06:20:45 pm »
 8)Thank you for the feedback fellows. Truthfully I'm not sure myself if upgrading the PC will fix the issue. Some people have told me though, that Mame is optimized for Intel and doesn't run great in AMD. I'm not educated enough to understand if my 3.2GHZ AMD is the same as an i5 3.2GHZ processor. Having seen Cruising and other 3D racers gameplay on You Tube from other running the game with no issues, would be great to understand what specs are required to achieve this.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 06:41:25 pm »
Well it might, but you are talking a major upgrade for three games, only one of which runs well and all of which have some audio issues.  I'd go back and play them a while before making a decision as the don't hold up like you think they would imho. 

silvereagle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 07:01:17 pm »
That's a very good point and something I have been strongly thinking about. The whole purpose was to get the older racing games such as Chase Hq, Continental Circuit, Hard Driving to name a few, working, which they all do. Adding Cruising would be bonus but spending a lot of money to upgrade a handful of games, I'm not sure it's worth it. Appreciate your feedback 🙂

silvereagle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 08:14:52 pm »
Wanted to update my post in hopes it helps others.

I ended up picking a Dell Optiplex with an i5 3590, 3.2GHZ and 4GB of Ram and integrated graphics and it runs Cruising perfectly at full speed. Only issue I found with using integrated graphics is that when using the shaders, specifically CRT-Geom, the games run at 50% of their speed. With shaders turned off, they run at 100%. I'll be picking up a 1050ti low profile for $120 tomorrow and should be on my way. PC cost me $70 with trade for another item, so all in all, I'm happy 😊