Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Getting Roadblasters to work with the Star Wars yoke  (Read 1903 times)

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
Getting Roadblasters to work with the Star Wars yoke
« on: December 27, 2020, 09:08:13 am »
I've been trying to get Roadblasters setup with the Star Wars yoke. I've done a little research and the biggest issue is steering. For the Y-axis, you can use the handles to accelerate. That seems to work well. The steering though, that's acting all kinds of crazy. Roadblasters uses a spinner, and since Star Wars is a yoke, it always need return to center or it keeps trying to turn in game.

In doing some searching, it seems like a few folks have said they were able to get Roadblasters working with their Star Wars yoke. The question I have is, has anyone come across someone posting their configuration settings to get Roadblaster to work with a Star Wars yoke? I've been messing with the settings, but kept thinking I was wasting my time. Someone has either done this, or, this is un-doable.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:03:56 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Getting Roadblasters to work with the Star Wars yoke
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 09:30:27 am »
I've been trying to get Roadblasters setup with the Star Wars yoke. I've done a little research and the biggest issue is steering. For the Y-axis, you can use the handles to accelerate. That seems to work well. The steering though, that's acting all kinds of crazy. Roadblasters uses a spinner, and since Star Wars is a yoke, it always need return to center or it keeps trying to turn in game.

In doing some searching, it seems like a few folks have said they were able to get Roadblasters working with their Star Wars yoke. The question I have is, has anyone come across someone posting their configuration settings to get Roadblaster to work with a Star Wars yoke? I've been messing with the settings, but kept thinking I was wasting my time. Someone has either done this, or, this is un-doable.
Which version of MAME are you using?
I'll give Road Blasters another try. It seemed to play fine with my analog joysticks last I checked. *Edit* It was fixed in MAME: "0.222: Fixed Road Blasters steering wheel does not auto center. The RoadBlasters steering wheel is very much like the Star Wars yoke, without the vertical (Y) axis [Curseur, Tafoid]. Replaced Dial controller with Stick."
Not sure if Ken got it working or which specific settings he may have used.   :dunno

Scott

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 03:20:59 am »
Thanks for digging that up Scott!

Roadblasters was a favorite of mine BITD and I would love to get that working.  Glad to see there is hope.

Now if only I still had an internet connection fast enough to update my version 0.197 assortment to 0.222 or later  :banghead:
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 09:05:52 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 11:56:27 am »
I haven't had a chance to upgrade MAME yet to try out the fixed version. Hopefully, it works with the Star Wars yoke now.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 10:15:06 pm »
If this is fixed by a mame update, and someone can confirm, let me know. I'm using Mame v.105. My issue is I'm using a 32 bit version of Windows. I can update to a 64 bit, but it would only be beneficial if Roadblasters works with a Star Wars yoke. Looking at the update in .222 (here: https://www.mamedev.org/?p=483), it says "07671: [DIP/Input] (atarisy1.cpp) roadblst and clones: Steering does not automatically return to center. (Tafoid)" which may help, or it could just be fixing a bug.

It appears Mame is only available in 64 bit .217. If there is a way to get .222 in 32 bit, I could try roadblasters myself, but I'm not really sure where to start with that. If that's an option, let me know and I'll look into it.

For now - I removed it from my cabinet. I spent a couple days going back to it to see if I could get it to work. No love.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:03:56 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 02:14:11 am »
My issue is I'm using a 32 bit version of Windows. I can update to a 64 bit, but it would only be beneficial if Roadblasters works with a Star Wars yoke.
Another option is to use a 32-bit version before whatever caused this bug report at MAME Testers.

I'll give Road Blasters another try. It seemed to play fine with my analog joysticks last I checked.
Analog joystick does seem to work OK in MAMEUIFX v0.152.   :dunno

Scott