Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Do any Raspberry PI/Lightgun images exist ?  (Read 3982 times)

mike boss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
Do any Raspberry PI/Lightgun images exist ?
« on: September 03, 2020, 08:52:59 am »
I've had two Aimtrak guns for years...........never used them.
Perhaps a year ago I began working on a MAME/MALA pc set up to use with the lightguns.
Had lots of issues, tossed the PC in the cabinet. Never finished the project.
Recently dug out a PC I purchased to recreate the Lightgun PC.
Fresh copy of Windows 7 installed (vs XP on the existing build) and I get nothing but issues.
I cant install my House of the Dead PC games, Turbo GRAFX emulator wont install.
It is a real pain !!!!

I'd love a shortcut. I love the Raspberry PI, and so many cool images exist.
Has anyone ever seen (or perhaps has?) a Pi image designed for gun games ?
Something that would work with a dual Aimtrak set up ?

Shot in the dark perhaps, but thought I would ask.

EDIT - My ideal set up (What I was going for on the PC) was my regular MAME set up, with emulation for NES, SMS, Genesis and Turbro Grafx (as I was able to configure these/get them mapped with the iPac). I then wanted to add separate lists in MALE for MAME specific gun games, NES Zapper games, SEGA & Genesis lightgun games, possibly SNES Superscope games, and lastly HOTD PC games.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 08:57:50 am by mike boss »

Vocalitus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Do any Raspberry PI/Lightgun images exist ?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 02:36:10 am »
I tried that with my latest Uber 128GB image for the Pi3 since SanDisk 128GB Type 10 has dropped to $21 and it has light gun games. I got the Wii-mote to work and I am enjoying it!!!

You need a beefy PC to run awesome light gun compilations like CoinOPS for PC.  The PC platform is well supported. 

If you want to view the set up instructions for the Wii-mote for the Pi just do a search on YouTube for ETA PRIME: RetroPie Set Up Dolphin Bar For Light Gun Games.

My light gun solution is a cheap and cherry affair.  I do not play light guns much, so this would be the best solution for the budget or occasional gamer.

Your Windows 7 issues can be addressed by the compatibility driver wizard. All my emulation crap migrated to Windows 7 from XP.  Now I just keep the arcade PC on a VHD and use XP64 or Tiny7 via VirtualBox in Windows 10.   :laugh2:

All this legacy arcade EOL upgrading is enough to make you old.   ::)

mike boss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
Re: Do any Raspberry PI/Lightgun images exist ?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 05:17:11 pm »
I used to love working on/with my cabinets.
Now what once brought me a ton of joy is just a laborious task.
Two kids later, a lack of time I sooo do not enjoy working on these projects.
People often ask me to do cabinet builds and I tell them Raspberry Pi or Pandoars Box.......don't go the PC route.

I've had no luck finding any PI image that was built around gun games.
I think I'm going to work with the existing PC I have and work to get the guns set up in MAME.
Letting go of the idea of playing Master System or Superscope games.

I will be picking up two Raspberry PI's this week, with them probably being faster than my PC I may take a stab at getting the lightguns set up.