Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A very thrifty cocktail  (Read 2011 times)

brihyn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2020, 04:29:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
A very thrifty cocktail
« on: August 28, 2020, 04:49:04 pm »
Hey all, used to post on occasion...and if you happened to remember the shop I was building 4 years ago..well just about the time i was finishing it we decided to move from Nebraska to Texas.
Since then house projects have taken my time, have spent 3 years debating on whether to put funds towards a new shop or pool (one of the primary criteria when we were purchasing the house was the ability to replace my workshop. still haven't decided though with 1004 degrees right now the pool sounds temptying), and in general, have only come to BYOAC on occasion when i need to occupy my brain with non-work related things for a few minutes.

But now that we're in this whole Covid thing, i'm finding time to finally work on projects that have been on my backlog.

We bought this ugly looking table at an Omaha thrift store for $1 probably 5-6 years ago. I knew I wanted to do something like this (and you all actually suggested the monitor I ended up buying years ago), but could never work through the details in  my mind.
Sooo...the last month or so I've finally put it all together. I may need to raise it up on a base or legs, but it's good enough for the moment.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:39:33 am
Re: A very thrifty cocktail
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 05:34:07 pm »
That's a neat little table.  Is it comfortable to play?  How are the viewing angles?  Do you have a video of it booting and running that you can post?

brihyn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 05:57:26 pm »

Thanks.
Frankly, no, it's not the most comfortable where i have it sitting at the moment. I need to move it to the second floor (it weighs a ton!) and then i'll see how comfortable it is at the couch. If not, i'll figure out a base.
I need to make a video of it...watch this space!

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 02:31:28 am »
Nicely done!
Cocktails are really difficult to lay out for a comfortable seat and still have them play well too (ask me how I know?!) and use of that old table cube is really cool.
Mine sits by a window too but only every gets played at night so thankfully it doesn't matter at all.

Look forward to seeing some video.
What size/aspect ratio is that screen?
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

brihyn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 01:09:31 pm »
The screen is a 4:3 19". When I first bought this table years ago and started considering the project I raised the question here and you all suggested the specific monitor I ended up buying due to the viewing angles...which work pretty well
the glass was pre-tinted. I masked off the monitor and spray painted the remaining with black paint...turned out great. I don't notice a ton of glare playing during the day. it's not perfect but it's not bad.
And truth be told, I probably will ultimately try selling this thing...it was all about the project (and my original OND cab is still running like a champ. It got a little scratched up in the moving trucks but has since been touched up.)

brihyn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 06:16:19 pm »
a quick video. I'm running Hyperspin as the frontend.