Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "Modernizing" a Capcom Fighting Cabinet--How Possible?  (Read 910 times)

famicom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2020, 07:42:39 pm
"Modernizing" a Capcom Fighting Cabinet--How Possible?
« on: August 27, 2020, 06:03:10 pm »
Let's say that we start with a dedicated Champion Edition Capcom Big Blue cabinet. 

Would it be possible to do the following modifications:

Have the built in controls usable, but have the option of plugging in modern console sticks and control pads.  Both 1P/2P have the ability to choose between the built in controls or plugging in a stick/controller.

Fit a computer to use Fightcade (or similar online multiplayer platforms) into a cabinet that also has a standard CPS1 or CPS2 setup, and be able to switch relatively quickly between the two.  Again with the ability to use either built in controls or external plug in controls.

Add RGB video out & audio out for the PCB for streaming.  I'm not sure if you can just split the signal going to the actual CRT & cabinet speakers, or you would need to add some sort of other interface board in between.

Since a computer for Fightcade could potentially be tiny non-powerful machine, I'm sure it would fit.  I just don't know what solutions would exist for easily switching between a PC setup and the actual PCB.

BTW, the question isn't specific to CPS1.  It was just an example.  I would potentially like to do this with an MVS setup or a CPS2/CPS3/Naomi cabinet.

formula409

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2021, 02:13:17 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: "Modernizing" a Capcom Fighting Cabinet--How Possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 03:54:43 am »
If that's what you're going to do why even bother with a cabinet? You might as well just do a pedestal at that point, and people have already done projects where they themed it based on those cabinets.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=135635.0

To me, the appeal of a cabinet is the fact that it's a closed isolated system. No internet connection, no updates, no BS. It just does what it does without any accessories. Also, hot swapping gamepads is still generally a nightmare on the PC.

famicom

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2020, 07:42:39 pm
Re: "Modernizing" a Capcom Fighting Cabinet--How Possible?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 01:59:18 pm »
Thanks for your reply!

If that's what you're going to do why even bother with a cabinet? You might as well just do a pedestal at that point, and people have already done projects where they themed it based on...

I would say the main reason is because I just want to collect/own the original cabinet and play on a good CRT.  Keep in mind that the external joystick option would be for visiting competitive players.  It basically just gives more options if you already have the cabinet, and you don’t need another dedicated CRT and modded CPS hardware setup on top of this.

To me, the appeal of a cabinet is the fact that it's a closed isolated system. No internet connection, no updates, no BS. It just does what it does without any accessories. Also, hot swapping gamepads is still generally a nightmare on the PC.

I feel like that’s completely down to personal preference.  Everything I want to do is completely unobtrusive to both the cabinet itself and the player who just wants to play the cab and PCB. That’s why I hope to do it this way in the first place rather than just getting a consolized CPS1/CPS2 + CRT.