Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Converting cabinet controls to work on consoles  (Read 920 times)

GlickWick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2020, 01:53:23 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Converting cabinet controls to work on consoles
« on: August 26, 2020, 06:22:59 pm »
Hi folks,

I've been working on a home cabinet during the past few months, mainly focusing on being an ideal setup for shmups. I'm currently backing the system with a PC running MAME, but I'd really like to be able to run an Xbox 360 and a Switch as well, since both have some amazing shmup ports, and the 360 is pretty much the only way to play DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou without purchasing an Exa Arcadia currently.

At the moment, I've connected two player controls to a Xinmotek board, which lets me create a DirectInput device for the PC. Is there anything I can do to convert this over to being usable for the Switch and the 360? I've found various adapters, but usually they convert from one console's input standard to another, not DirectInput to console.

I'm also fine with using a different controller board, certainly not married to the Xinmotek one, it was just easy enough to get things going to start.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Converting cabinet controls to work on consoles
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 12:56:40 am »
There are some options but the others would be more versed on that so I'll wait for them to chime in.

To answer your question though... the short answer is no.  I've already answered this in another thread but microsoft uses proprietary security chips in their gamepads.... the only way to get an adapter to work is to plug in an officially licensed xbox 360 gamepad so the adapter can piggyback on the chip.  The switch is slightly more forgiving though you'll still need an adapter.  If it were me I would hack up a cheap xbox 360 gamepad.  The 360 gamepad can be adapted onto a Switch I'm pretty sure.  You can of course piggy back like I mentioned but you'll be buying a wired gamepad along with your adapter. 

GlickWick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2020, 01:53:23 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 12:45:24 pm »
Thanks! I've looked into the X360 approach, doesn't seem too bad.

I also found this product from Brook, used to make fight pads work on various systems: https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/06960737/

Seems like I could use this PCB instead of the Xinmotek, unless I'm missing something?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 09:36:33 pm »
Yeah brooks always made good stuff.  I'm not sure how or if they solved the xbox 360/xbox one problem though.  Someone else is going to have to help you on that.