Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Noob to arcade cabs hard drive question  (Read 1986 times)

mbecks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 10, 2020, 11:51:09 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Noob to arcade cabs hard drive question
« on: August 09, 2020, 12:07:37 pm »
Hello, I just got my first arcade cabinet, an Area 51. The hard drive makes a lot of noise and the game is slowing down or out right freezing up. I ran all of the self tests and the only thing that fails is the hard drive. I want to order a new hard drive for it but have a question. I see the new solid state drives out there. My cab was just an original Area 51 cab. Can I buy the Area 51/ maximum force compact flash drive and it’s just plug and play, or do I have to buy just the original Area 51. There is also Area 51 site 4, if I bought that as well could I switch between the games by simply swapping the hard drive? Thanks for any help.

mourix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:53:16 am
Re: Noob to arcade cabs hard drive question
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 01:15:34 pm »
It's a combination of having both the hard drive (or CF) and the correct set of ROM chips to go with the game. If you got an original Area 51 pcb, you can flash the MAME CHD to a CF card and it would work straight.

Changing to a different game means burning new ROMS too.