Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What monitor would be a good choice for my specific needs for my MAME.  (Read 1346 times)

paulwgraber

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2020, 09:31:09 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
So this is what I want my MAME cab to do. Daphne as well as all 80's and early 90's classic arcade games. So what would be a reasonable choice monitor wise.

Multisync like a MaK? or something like a 25" WG 7000 series that does just standard CGA.

I'm not emulating home systems. I have the original systems on my TV for that. I just want good ole classic arcade stuff.
Opinions please.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
You don't need a multisync monitor for what you want to play, it's all 15kHz. And Makvision don't have the greatest rep.

Get a Nanao if you can find one, but otherwise something like a WG is fine. Condition can be more important than brand. Even a consumer CRT TV with RGB hacked in will be lovely, as long as you get a good TV.

You only needed to make one thread, btw :)

paulwgraber

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2020, 09:31:09 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
So do you know what the diff is between a WG 6300 and a WG 7400 ?

I have a line on a couple for $150 each. They don't work but there is no burn in which is why Im interested. They are both 25" models.
I figure I can just recap or get the chassis fixed.

Sorry bout the multiple threads. Thx
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 12:30:55 pm by paulwgraber »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
I'm in Aus, we never had WG that i'm aware of. They have a decent enough rep on here, but I can't tell you anything specific about them, such as how easy they are to repair, sorry.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:58:32 am
I have a soft spot for 20/21 inches, CGA monitors for 2D games. They are also generally less prone to brake being the lowest number of compoments and the lowest currents needed to operate.
There are no easy to service CRT monitors, but you can find a lot of WG series (and Hantarex) repair logs on the interwebs, so...

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
you can find a lot of WG series (and Hantarex) repair logs on the interwebs

Yes, that's true.