Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Logic 3 P99L CRT Light Gun Recoil stopped working. Any suggestions?  (Read 2987 times)

LightFun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2021, 12:09:56 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
So I bought this Light Gun a few weeks ago and it was working great.

A few days ago I used it during a game of Time Crisis Project Titan (great game btw my first time playing it!).

All was fine and it worked great with the game. Then after I finished I put the gun down in its resting place, it was sideways and for fun I pulled the trigger one last time but the recoil didn't work. I thought nothing of it, turned off the PS2.

Tried again today and the recoil is still not working. While the switch is on, it's definitely doing some sort of motoring inside I can hear and feel a slight motoring sound, but it's not very powerful and it isn't causing the top slide to kickback as it should.

It's been really hot weather-wise the last few days, I can't help but wonder if that has affected it?

I'm not experienced in electronics hardware and have never done any DIY stuff, so I'd love to hear what experienced people think may be the problem and how I might go about solving it?

I imagine all 3rd Party Light Guns from the PS1 and PS2 era use a similar method for recoil, so anyone with experience of those could also offer advice that I imagine would apply to this Light Gun too. it's not the same as AimTrak's solenoid, more of a motory kind of noise inside.

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:21:20 am
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
Re: Logic 3 P99L CRT Light Gun Recoil stopped working. Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 04:11:08 pm »
Indeed it's probably a motor driven recoil.
Did you check if the recoil mechanism itself isn't stuck?
Like trying to gently slide it by yourself.
Second thing I would check is if the psu isn't dead.
If you have a multimeter to measure it's voltage, it'd be perfect.
Hope you can find the issue  ;)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 06:15:21 pm »
With the heat wave and if you give it some hammer over a prolonged session it may of burnt the motor out and seized it up.

Only way to tell for sure is open it up.

LightFun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2021, 12:09:56 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 08:12:47 am »
Thanks for your replies guys.

Somebody on Reddit suggested it may be an on-board PSU on the PS2 itself that has fried. This specific PSU controls the vibration of controllers and the recoil for light guns as well.

So I tested a DS2 controller and indeed it didn't vibrate. I'll try other controllers to be sure, but on the face of it looks like the gun itself is ok and the problem is the PS2's vibration control PSU.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 08:31:14 am »

Somebody on Reddit suggested it may be an on-board PSU on the PS2 itself that has fried. This specific PSU controls the vibration of controllers and the recoil for light guns as well.

So I tested a DS2 controller and indeed it didn't vibrate. I'll try other controllers to be sure, but on the face of it looks like the gun itself is ok and the problem is the PS2's vibration control PSU.
Interesting didnt know that was a thing :)

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:21:20 am
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 09:31:00 am »

Interesting! You might then want to check onboard fuses too, to see if one is busted  ;)