Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is it possible to play Driver 1 You Are the Wheelman with a steering wheel?  (Read 2185 times)

Jayinem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2021, 05:26:02 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
It's an old game and I would understand if it's not possible. I wouldn't mind either PS1 or PC versions tried both and no luck on EPSXE even with the pad gneco plugin I think it's called I never could get it to work I believe because it's digital only. So I tried the PC version, and I have a Dualshock 3 and I'm able to get it working fine, but nothing from the wheel. They're both using xinput since the Dualshock 3 is using SCPToolkit which is a driver to make Windows think it's a Xbox 360 controller so I am not sure why the controller works (even with the analog stuck) but nothing from the wheel.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 01:19:41 pm by Jayinem »

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
Nobody hardly posts in the Driving Section or seems to care and I'm talking about games from over 20 years ago so even less care (although I think people who have wheels and enjoy racing games should even if the graphics are not the best there's still fun to be had, but w/e), so I'll just post this anyway in case a ghost is interested or someone 100 years from now has some weird interest in emulating early 3d games from the 20th century while living in the 22nd century.

I was using pgnneco gamepad plugin with my wheel on EPSXE and it works well. However some games it didn't work and I wasn't sure why. I figured out it only works on traditional racing games. So Gran Turismo check, Ridge Racer check, Need for Speed check etc... but games like Jet Moto, Sled Storm etc.. did not. That also includes Driver. So what I did was make another copy of EPSXE and used Lilypad plugin (it's typically used for PS2 only, but does work if you extract the plugin from PCSX 2 and add it to EPSXE) and mapped my wheel using it. So now non-traditional PS1 racing games such as Jet Moto and Driver are working with this method.

I pretty much have practically every racing game ever setup to play with my wheel on PC and 5 other consoles simultaneously (no unplug/replug to different consoles, just have to hit a button on a device to switch) so if anyone needs any assistance I probably can help.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 01:43:58 am by Jayinem »

MotownC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:51:36 pm
  • Reliving my youth, one lap at a time
That's the method I use for PCSX2 as well. Have one version set up to use the lillypad plugin for controller based games and one set up to use the steering wheel plugin. So now games like MotorStorm - Artic Edge and Sled Storm work with the wheel. I'm guessing RLauncher allows for specific configs and plugin so only 1 version of PCSX2 is needed but I haven't played around with it enough to know for sure.

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
That's the method I use for PCSX2 as well. Have one version set up to use the lillypad plugin for controller based games and one set up to use the steering wheel plugin. So now games like MotorStorm - Artic Edge and Sled Storm work with the wheel. I'm guessing RLauncher allows for specific configs and plugin so only 1 version of PCSX2 is needed but I haven't played around with it enough to know for sure.

I have no clue about RLauncher but I use Launchbox and someone made a plugin for it PCSX2 Configurator that allows you to make configs and someone made hundreds of configs for it and it's very simple to make your own.