Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: a couple of quick questions  (Read 12528 times)

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:15:23 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
Re: a couple of quick questions
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2020, 12:46:46 pm »
I use ubuntu, have done for years as a main desktop OS.  I prefer it to windows.  I wouldn't classify myself as a total nerd either.

In fact I have a dual boot, and I only ever boot Windows for 2 apps that aren't available on Linux.

And it seems almost every time I boot Windows it forces an update on me when it shuts down so I have to wait ages to get back to my nice clean Ubuntu again.

Each to their own.

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:39:09 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2020, 01:02:08 pm »
I don't really give a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- one way or the other.

The one thing that does irk me is the constant complaining about Windows updates.

I maintain the computers for my small company. We have a dozen PCs of varying ages and configurations.

The employees shut them down at night. When I come in I start them up. They are all set to auto update.

We NEVER have any problems with Windows updates. Of course this has only been a couple of dozen PCs over the last 20 or so years.

Oh and I have never had an update cause a problem on any of my home computers either.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2024, 03:09:00 am
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2020, 01:32:21 pm »
Linux is a terrible main OS for anyone but true nerds (so like 2~3% worldwide).

Nah, it's just familiarity with Windows that make it a problem for mainstream users.

Nah, it's terrible because it is made by and for nerds, with nerds logic, ideological bias, and expectations, and of course the usual blinders and denial in regards to any non-nerd needs and criticism.
Like too many projects in the FOSS world are anyway, baseline MAME included.
:dunno not even worth a debate, stay in the windows herd

I'm so glad I suggested we don't go in to a windows vs linux troll. Toxic topic in sight ...

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2020, 02:31:00 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I don't think Windows is that good, I think it's adapted to people. Accessible to them, and not just a little bit but very much so.
It may do a lot of unethical and crappy things, but it speaks to users, at their level and deals with their expectations, mostly.
Linux however like many nerds-foss things gives the vast majority demographics's abilities and expectations the finger, and its community is furiously in persistent total denial of their reality.
Unless all-preconfigured or integrated for specific tasks as i've said, after all it is everywhere, they won't use Linux, that's totally normal. It's just completely for nerds when used as a computer OS, only for them, nerd way of seeing and doing things.
And yeah nerds, even 'a little' is already a huge gap vs the average end-user's lvl of skill, i've seen enough people here claim they aren't even close to worthy tech nerds when they were like programming stuff when they were 15 and are hired as technicians today. WTF.
What did I say about denial? it's the absolute truth of the nerd world period. Denial, denial, denial. They experience tech from a randian bubble dream and deny anything coming from the outside, which is always wrong anyway before their pov is even considered.

And as for trolling lol, the bulk of demographics with its technical ineptitude is the first victim by large - with replies like 'look it up yourself or do it yourself' and posting loads of stuff they'd need to go back 20~30 years back in time with a DeLorean and rethink their life choices, to even begin to understand, is the one most typical hostile troll answer I have countless times seen nerds enjoy inflict to end-users who dared to ask something without understanding enough.
Must be revenge for all that school bullying, today nerds rule the world eh?

If you didn't get my general point - usually people don't in this nerd-af-community - from my perspective GroovyMAME and GroovyArcade are projects going in the right direction (doesn't mean I always like some aspects but that's another topic), since they're aiming at common end-users friendliness too.

But Linux deskop OS ? f* that, it's nerds who are responsible for its unpopularity, nerds made it remain too incompatible, inaccessible, distant to common end-users reality, all development was always made in nerds circlejerks looking inside, barely ever taking glimpses of the reality outside. Anyone can have a look what Linux is and see it's just the truth in plain sight. How many distros ? how many years? yet how many users worldwide ? it's a failure, pathetic, and it's NOT normal people's fault, they're not the demographics who made desktop Linux into a trainwreck, nor did they make that completely alien cringy community these past decades that makes new curious users run away.

I had my Linux years, that was a long time ago, just hopped on the bandwagon after some nerd brainwashed me. I even tried to convert other people, and well, as a whole i've just wasted my time and theirs. Put simply: neither me nor them actually needed Linux. it wasn't bringing much if anything we lacked from Windows, rather it removed tons of what we really needed/wanted. So why even?
If you're an engineer/technician, programmer pro or amateur, DIY hobbyist, etc Linux may be great from your perspective, especially if you've been familiar with computers from a young age...
..but it's not even close to what the vast majotity of people  - who definitely aren't such profiles - expect when they think 'computer' and 'programs/apps', and that's it, that's reality.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 02:38:58 pm by schmerzkaufen »

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 02:59:06 pm
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2020, 06:03:58 pm »
Are you sure you're okay?

Average users can barely use Windows and associated software. Even an iPhone - specifically designed as dumbed down - they need support. I've been supporting such people for 25 years, and I've never heard anyone sing lyrical about any operating system. The odd application, sure, but never the OS itself - whatever it is, is an object of frustration. Windows 10 is particularly bad, the volume of obscured stuff that was previously visible.

I'm probably 1000x over the nerd level you're describing, and I struggle to use an iPhone without throwing it out of a window. I don't know how "normal" people are supposed to manage.

I use Linux at home, not because it can do anything Windows can't, but because I'm not beholden to the whims of a for-profit organisation that think it's okay to automatically install software (that someone has paid them to) and display adverts (that someone has paid them to) in a system that I use.

With everything going on as it is at the moment, having someone say what you can and cannot do, monitor and intrude on your life - sorry, no. If you have no option but to use it, at least take control of it.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2020, 06:25:45 pm »
My cat must be 1000x your nerd level because he could probably operate an iPhone with a little training.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2020, 06:29:59 pm »
This thread is funny as ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---. :laugh2:

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 02:59:06 pm
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2020, 06:38:24 pm »
My cat must be 1000x your nerd level because he could probably operate an iPhone with a little training.

He'll get just as angry even with training.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2020, 06:44:49 am »
Are you sure you're okay?
I'm fine, and you?

You know, when I read what nerds say about Linux n' stuff, I always wonder how high they are, sitting on some cloud drifting further and further away from reality.  :dunno

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2020, 09:22:48 am »
Well that is the thanks I get.

I taught my cat how to use an iPhone.

He used the internet to learn linux and Windows.

Now he locked me out of my bank accounts and stole my identity.

I hate cats.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2024, 03:09:00 am
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2020, 09:39:09 am »
Cats are good at making youtube videos, subscribe to your own channel, you'll soon see a new video called "all your bases are belong to us"

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2020, 03:36:37 pm »
We NEVER have any problems with Windows updates. Of course this has only been a couple of dozen PCs over the last 20 or so years.

Neither have I. Not even the "dreaded" Windows 10 which I've been using for five years now at home and at work. Not once have one of these horror stories that others tell ever manifested itself. Mostly seems people are blaming their PEBKAC issues on the OS.

formula409

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2021, 02:13:17 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2020, 12:21:05 am »
Also, looking at the Mednafen homepage, I don't see a Linux binary there. Are you telling me there isn't a Linux build of Mednafen? What about the CRT fork of Mednafen?

If there's no Linux Mednafen, that's a deal breaker by itself.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2020, 05:40:25 am »
Also, looking at the Mednafen homepage, I don't see a Linux binary there. Are you telling me there isn't a Linux build of Mednafen? What about the CRT fork of Mednafen?

If there's no Linux Mednafen, that's a deal breaker by itself.

There is an aur package. You can compile it yourself as well.  :dunno