Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Megatouch Aurora Additional Security Key  (Read 2783 times)

jasonripp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2022, 03:44:44 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Megatouch Aurora Additional Security Key
« on: May 03, 2020, 07:13:20 pm »
I think this is the first post for me, but I've been lurking for awhile and have much appreciated the knowledge I've gained here. So thanks!

I bought a mixed lot of Megatouch units awhile back, mostly XLs, but there was also a dead Ion Elite and another dead Ion Aurora. The Elite is now up and running and I finally got around to tearing into the Aurora. It has numerous issues - dead hard drive, dead power supply, dead motherboard, but I've been working through it. Since my plan is to install it in a repurposed XL upright cabinet, I began taking out all of the components today.

After removing the power switch assembly, I noticed a small board under where the MyMerit key reader is located. Upon removal, I flipped it over and was surprised to see a second Dallas iButton security key. It lacks the "spoon" plastic of the normal key, but it's definitely a second, well-hidden key.

I haven't seen any mention of a second key in all my research on this unit, so I am wondering of anyone has any insight.

Thanks!

gavinlew

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 05:40:28 pm
Re: Megatouch Aurora Additional Security Key
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 07:17:10 pm »
Hi Jason

I got a board similar in my box of spares will check to see if I can find anything that may help you - I think it’s connected to an IOboard as it was for my 6000XL

(Will check in the morning now as in the UK)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orizzle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2020, 07:20:41 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 07:18:36 pm »
It should be a DS1991 key. It's not for security but instead a cabinet identifier. It was used for online games to tell the servers if you had an Aurora 17, 19, or 19 wide. It also stores information about the light show. That's why you get lights immediately even before the game boots.

The 17" Evos have them also.  I think the Rx also does, under the I/O I believe.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 07:22:01 pm by orizzle »

jasonripp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2022, 03:44:44 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 07:34:46 pm »
It should be a DS1991 key. It's not for security but instead a cabinet identifier. It was used for online games to tell the servers if you had an Aurora 17, 19, or 19 wide. It also stores information about the light show. That's why you get lights immediately even before the game boots.

The 17" Evos have them also.  I think the Rx also does, under the I/O I believe.

Thanks for the info!

Do you know if it is required for the system to run? I suppose it's no big deal to leave it in the mix, but I'm trying to remove anything not needed for my build.

orizzle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2020, 07:20:41 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 07:51:02 pm »
If you want the light show to function properly, leave it in