Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 'RaidenMAME' fighters 1/2/Jet music samples hack...in GroovyMAME ?  (Read 2544 times)

schmerzkaufen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
Hey. Maybe you've never heard about this niche build but here it is : http://raidenmame.wordpress.com/downloads/

It is based on teh olde mameplus 155, meh, so I was wondering if tha'd work in Groovy instead, which would be much, much cooler.
(warning about the build if you try it: so obscure my antivirus almost quarantined it lol)

I don't know much about patching or compiling, I am not even sure what I am seeing in that source zip. I'm just wondering if I can have hopes of making that work in GM or not, like if there is something obvious I'm not seeing, maybe the version it was made for and the current Groovy being too far apart or something ?

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 03:17:30 am
  • retro maniac
Re: 'RaidenMAME' fighters 1/2/Jet music samples hack...in GroovyMAME ?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 02:57:15 am »
Officially groovymame does not support any game modifications. Perhaps ARCADE32/64 authors might be interested in such modification.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 03:02:58 am by haynor666 »

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 05:08:42 am »
I think it's a build mod it doesn't do anything to the games roms/program, it is only swapping music for the better samples version during play.

The goal is to benefit from Groovy's features at the same time (Seibu SPI hugely benefit from Groovy), so yes that would be fine in GroovyARCADE.

RFgroovyARCADE lol.

EDIT: anyway that doesn't answer my question, which is: does it have chances of working (and implying; do I, without any coding skills, have any chances to do this, like without having to learn development for the next 10 years ?)
EDIT2: actully haynor666, do you suggest I go talk to the ARCADE dev directly instead of wondering about possibilities ? ^^
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 05:41:07 am by schmerzkaufen »

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 03:17:30 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 06:53:56 am »
I'll try but Robbert recently does not change too much in ARCADE.

Recapnation

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:39:55 pm
    • Eiusdemmodi
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 07:43:07 am »
Isn't SPI emulation still full of glitches?

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 08:26:17 am »
Oh I see thank you for poking him bout it haynor666.  :)

@Recap: well it gets little bits fixed like once every few years, in 0.219 MetalliC fixed a graphics issue in the original RF, there was another such fix in 0.198 etc.
That kind of pacing. ^^
But the musics still sound messed up, yet there doesn't seem to be any interest at all in that area, hence the samples hack but the author seems to have lost interest years ago, which is too bad since it's nice and would be great coupled to Groovy's goodness.
That'd be the best way to play those games besides the 360 Aces port (which I would own if it wasn't region locked and the JP disc I require a ridiculously expensive import), until the hypotetical distant future day the issue gets completely fixed in MAME.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 07, 2024, 01:03:06 pm
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 10:09:43 am »
For any MAME mod integtration, it would be so much better that the "source" is converted to a patch that can be easily applied on any mame source.

In other words, need to apply the source over MAME 0.155, extract the resulting patch, and test it on a more version of MAME (with most chances it will fail ...)

(some minutes later after trying)

Forget the patch, all has been converted to C++ ... This means : 60% rewrite of the patch (src/mame/video/seibuspi.cpp and src/mame/drivers/seibuspi.cpp) ->8 hunks out of 13 failed on mame 0.220

Recapnation

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:39:55 pm
    • Eiusdemmodi
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 01:06:10 pm »
So the sound emulation is in a much worse state than the graphics here? Seems that some graphic features aren't still emulated, though. Having someone fixing something every now and then is a good sign, anyway; there are drivers without this luck. I have a factory-sealed Raiden Fighters Aces (NTSC-J) somewhere which indeed I should be selling one of these days. Never believed that a 31-kHz/60-Hz console was a good home for a 15-kHz/55-Hz game.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 01:32:21 pm »
@Substring: welp ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@Recap: One of the best ports to ever grace modern consoles from what I've read (after downloading some update patches tho, so it's only valid as long as the patches are still online)
Everything's good technically, scaling and sync/speed options.

The US version is common and affordable, but heh importing a US console or getting a jtag/rgh euro 360 + the US game costs around the same as importing the standalone JP game, so it's silly unless living in NA of course.

Groovy port of the RaidenMAME patch would be the best thing obviously, I don't think the game works in Xenia yet, but emulating the 360 port won't bring Groovy's low res and original refreshes purity anyway.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 01:35:03 pm by schmerzkaufen »

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 12:08:01 pm »
Oh BTW one thing I realize now, is that Robbert was apparently involved in the hack, that was a long time ago but he might remember what it's about. ^^

I can't remember if this was ever part of UIFX though.