Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 180 degree wheel? newby needing advice  (Read 2903 times)

Doktor1990

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2020, 08:06:01 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
180 degree wheel? newby needing advice
« on: April 12, 2020, 07:10:32 pm »
Hi all

So recently decided I wanted to get a wheel for playing on my PC, arcade racers like Daytona, Outrun ect.

My friend sent me a link to one of these wheels, thats cheap but has force feedback so good low-tier entry, the logitech logitech e-uc2

While a PS2 wheel/controller I believe it should work on PC from what others have said

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Driving-Force-Wheel-PlayStation-2/dp/B00005NJZJ

But I find out it's only 180 degrees, and games like Daytona from what I've looked up were 270 degrees?

Does this mean the wheel will be useless? As i wouldn't be able to turn all the way left or right? Also, is 180 degrees in general just unsatisying and waste of money?

The games I plan on playing are as follows, Daytona USA Championship/Daytona 3 (PC/Arcade), Outrun 2006 (PC), Outrun (cannonball retroarch core) and Daytona USA (RPCS3/PS3 emu)

I already ordered it off ebay but I'm worried it won't be up for the job, reason I went for it because I don't want to spend a whole lot as I'll only be using it on odd occasion for some arcadey goodness.. But sounds like I should of gone for something with at least 270 degrees?

Thanks

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:03 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: 180 degree wheel? newby needing advice
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 07:22:09 pm »
Badmouth's sticky thread has the info you seek.   ;D

Wheel -  There are generally 2 types of arcade wheels; 

Those that use an optical encoder and can spin endlessly are referred to as 360° wheels.
                (Pole Position, Super Sprint, etc)  The game can tell which direction the wheel is spinning and how fast, but cannot tell where center is.

Those that have stops and cannot spin endlessly are referred to as 270° wheels though they may rotate more or less than 270°.
                (Outrun, Cruisn' USA, Daytona USA, etc.)  These use a potentiometer and the game can detect the wheel's exact position.

Scott

Doktor1990

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 07:28:01 pm »
Badmouth's sticky thread has the info you seek.   ;D

Wheel -  There are generally 2 types of arcade wheels; 

Those that use an optical encoder and can spin endlessly are referred to as 360° wheels.
                (Pole Position, Super Sprint, etc)  The game can tell which direction the wheel is spinning and how fast, but cannot tell where center is.

Those that have stops and cannot spin endlessly are referred to as 270° wheels though they may rotate more or less than 270°.
                (Outrun, Cruisn' USA, Daytona USA, etc.)  These use a potentiometer and the game can detect the wheel's exact position.

Scott

As per my post, I had already looked up and realised the games I want to play are most likely 270

The advice I am seeking is wether I should look into trying to cancel the wheel I did order as it's only 180 degrees

It's looking like it might be best I try and cancel it and look for something better?

Also perhaps advice on a good low-budget wheel for the job? If that one in the link isn't good enough, what should I look at you think? Maybe a Driving Force GT?

thanks

Doktor1990

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 07:54:30 pm »
Or are you saying that 180 degree wheel will still work fine with it? Since the quote has a part that says "though they may rotate more or less than 270°." ?

I don't think the info in that sticky has clarified enough for me, I'm rather new at this whole gaming wheel thing.

I've put in to cancel my order on ebay

durwood101

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2020, 12:39:21 am
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 12:42:14 am »
You had mentioned playing games like Outrun.  I have a Log DFGT wheel that I found on Offerup for $30, and for Outrun its pretty good, its a 270 game and the wheel can have that setting.  Its a 900 deg wheel, but the software will allow you to have whatever degrees rotation you want.  It took me a few hours to get it setup with some help from a forum member here with all the mame configs, but thats about what you ask for if you start looking into setting up a wheel with all the different kinds of driving games.  I still want to find a steering wheel for the 360 degree wheel games like Super Sprint and Pole Position, but for now I'm happy.

Doktor1990

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 09:55:19 am »
Sorry for the late reply, I got my driving force GT last week and been busy setting it up :)

So far been successful setting most things up with one or two issues along the way

Outrun 2006 PC version is up and running with the FXT patch and working well, except there's no music in the outrun sp mode for some reason

Super model 3 emulator - scud race, daytona 2 and sega rally working pretty damn well and forcefeedback working great, although for some reason pedals aren't 100% right.. Brake won't work at all when my foots on the accelerator and vice versa, the games are still perfectly playable but this is an issue I'd like to fix and no idea how, it also makes putting in my name in some games like Daytona USA 2 power edition impossible since the pedals aren't 100%

Virtua Racing and Ridge Racer - both setup on mame and working well, found I did have to set VR to 170 degrees for the controls to feel right, not sure if that is normal or not? As I'm not familair with the original arcade version - Couldn't get the FFB plugin working, either would'nt hook at all to the emulator or it'd spit out an error

Demul (naomi) - probably the hardest one that I had to get setup, managed to get the neccessary files however F335 challenge there's no engine sounds, 18 wheeler was working great though - Again couldn't get the FFB plugin working, used the demul folder for this one and it still wouldn't hook sucessfully, or again spit out an error

Daytona 3 (Daytona Championship USA) - Now this one isn't emulation per say, its the arcade version of Daytona 3 but made to work on PC (I believe the people who did it used various hex edits and such) but it just flat out ignores me wheel, however from what I understand I need to use x360ce to emulate a controller, which I'll try next time

But yeah, I'm getting there, next I'll probably setup Outrunners and Outrun (cannonball) :)

MotownC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:52:06 pm
  • Reliving my youth, one lap at a time
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 01:22:47 pm »
"Virtua Racing and Ridge Racer - both setup on mame and working well, found I did have to set VR to 170 degrees for the controls to feel right, not sure if that is normal or not? As I'm not familair with the original arcade version - Couldn't get the FFB plugin working, either would'nt hook at all to the emulator or it'd spit out an error"

For Virtua Racing, you need to go into the Service menu and set cabinet to 'Upright' I believe.

Demul (naomi) - probably the hardest one that I had to get setup, managed to get the neccessary files however F335 challenge there's no engine sounds, 18 wheeler was working great though - Again couldn't get the FFB plugin working, used the demul folder for this one and it still wouldn't hook sucessfully, or again spit out an error

Going from memory here but I think the Nascar Racing is the only Demul game that supports FFB.

MotownC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:52:06 pm
  • Reliving my youth, one lap at a time
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 01:24:44 pm »
Oh, and Ridge Racer requires either MAME .199 or MAME .206 to work. Use the 'Old Mame' plug-in files and you will be good to go.