Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: IPAC/Ethernet troubleshooting and solution  (Read 715 times)

Gatt

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2020, 08:24:38 pm
IPAC/Ethernet troubleshooting and solution
« on: February 04, 2020, 08:23:05 pm »
Hi all,

This is partially a continuation of my previous thread that I wanted to be very descriptive for future builders and in part a question to those well versed in Ethernet.

The Problem:  I was using Doc's Modular MAME wiring configuration into a off the shelf female/female ethernet keystone jack.  When I connected everything up, only the down direction worked.

The key points:  I learned that there are three ethernet standards 568A, 568B, and 568C.  The wiring order inside the ethernets is different between A and B.  While this wasn't my issue, I thought it pertinent to mention for future builders, because this will mess things up.

The culprit:  The culprit is in the keystone jacks.  They're not pass-through, they change wiring order.  I'm not clear on what's happening, that's my question to others, but I know the solution.

The wiring order on my keystones going to the IPAC is:  Stripe Green (Ground, pin 1), Stripe Blue (Left, pin 4), Blue (Right, pin 5), Stripe Orange (Up, pin 2) Green (Down, pin 3), Stripe Brown (Button 1, pin 6).  Note:  The joysticks retain the Doc's wiring order.

The fun part is - This is NOT consistent amongst keystones.  The original set I used actually has a completely different order and would act very strange, the pin signal on my orange wire would change based on whether or not blue was connected in my first set of keystones.  If blue wasn't connected it was pin 3, if it was it was pin 4. 

What I suspect - At least some of the keystones use a mini-PCB inside, and I suspect that this little PCB flips out on some keystones when it doesn't have a signal on a pin.

On to my question - Based on the wiring order, any thoughts on exactly what's happening?  I suspect that it's doing crossover wiring from 568B to 568A patterns, but I'm not sure because the wiring pattern doesn't line up with the diagrams I can find.  I wanted to get thoughts here.

For posterity sake - These female/female keystones are the ones with the above wiring pattern that are consistent https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JJ46JX4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  If you get into trouble, this might be an easier path than just building your own keystones.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:24:38 pm by Gatt »