Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 1UP Arcade is planning to sell full kits and cabinets!  (Read 8218 times)

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
1UP Arcade is planning to sell full kits and cabinets!
« on: February 16, 2004, 04:22:08 pm »
For those who don't read the news page... ;)

Plans are moving ahead on manufacturing our Pac-Mamea cabinets! Pac-Mamea was the first cabinet to feature an integrated set of rotating control panels, and now it will be the first commercially available cabinet to do so as well. We are currently talking with a cabinet maker to determine costs of fully assembled cabinets, and/or build-it-yourself kit versions, both with our one-of-a-kind, self-locking rotating design.

If you're interested, click here for more info, and to get on the mailing list if you would like to be notified when the cabinets are available. We are expecting to have the price set by the end of February, with cabinets available soon thereafter. Prices should be competitive with Hanaho's full cabs and SlickStik's kits.

Availability: The only thing that's holding production up right now is that my builder can't accept my 3D files, so I have to take the model apart and trace out each panel in CAD, then give it to him so he can run it thru his software to see how much wood and cutting time is required, and then give me a quote.  This should all be done within this week or next, and if the numbers are good, kits will be available early next month, with full cabinets available soon after.

Options: I intend to have either a yoke or steering wheel
option.  Pedals and 4-player controls would be an add-on thing that can be easily attached by the customer, but that will be available later on.

Quality: I will make them as cheaply as possible, while using the best
materials appropriate for the purpose.  I don't want to get a reputation of making cheap crap that falls apart quickly.  If you are thinking of these as cheap $30 Wal-Mart bookshelves, try mounting a control panel to one of those shelves, invite a few middle-schoolers over and see how long it lasts. These will be sturdy cabinets, and unfortunately the labor won't be cheap because they're not being made in a third world country.

Pricing: The prices I use right now should be interpreted as maximiums, not minimums.  I am estimating between $1000 to $2000 for kits, and $2500 to $3995 for fully built cabinets with controls, monitor and PC.  This is the price range I don't want to go over, in order to remain competitive Hanaho or Slikstik.  If I can sell the kits at $700 and still make a good profit, I will.  I'm sure I'd sell a lot more at that price!

I'm very excited to finally be able to offer my cabinets to the public.  I welcome any questions or suggestions that may result in an improved product!

1UP
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 09:14:49 pm by 1UP »

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
Re:1UP Arcade is planning to sell full kits and cabinets!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 04:41:16 pm »
Fair play, if you can keep the cost right they should sell like hot-cakes :)

I prefer your design to the other pre-made / kit cabs available (not to mention the popular rotating CP), although I must say I won't be buying one as I've put too much effort into my own now!! :)

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 05:17:34 pm »
BTW, some of you on my mailing list are not getting my replies or updates because of some problem at SpamCop.  Somehow I have been blacklisted and anyone using SpamCop probably won't be able to get my messages.  I NEVER SPAM, and everyone on my mailing list is there because they specifically EMAILED ME requesting to be on my list.

If at any time my updates become annoying, simply email me and I will gladly remove you from my list.  I have nothing to gain by angering potential customers.

My other job...

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 05:52:00 pm »
Good Luck.  I am currently in the final stages of a cabinet inspired by Pac-mamea.  I began acquiring materials and planning/building late last spring.  As you can see by the time it is complete it will have taken me nearly a year due both to limited time available and a lack of experience with carpentry that makes things pretty slow going.

If these had been available a year ago I would not hesitate in buying one, and once I've got my cab complete I certainly won't hesitate to recommend your cab/kit.  I hope this turns out to be a successful venture for you.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

GGKoul

• Cheesecake Apprentice
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2019, 05:47:30 pm
  • I was once a big man!! -4700 posts later...
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 06:17:12 pm »
Damm!!

And I was just about to purchase your plans so I can build my open Pac-Mamean.

Harakiri

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2014, 05:02:37 am
  • Invisible member status
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 07:11:30 pm »
What about the colours, Marquees, Bezels etc?!

Are they gonna be all the same or it's at clients choice?! The cabinet is beautiful but it'd be boring if everyone's gonna buy one of the same...  :)

Congrats, i hope that you reach europe soon!

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 07:21:25 pm »
What about the colours, Marquees, Bezels etc?!

Are they gonna be all the same or it's at clients choice?! The cabinet is beautiful but it'd be boring if everyone's gonna buy one of the same...  :)

Congrats, i hope that you reach europe soon!

I will have to find out about that.  If they routinely carry different colors of melamine, it might be easy.  Otherwise, laminating with custom colors will be an upgrade that will cost extra.

Marquees will probably be a standard design.  If you want a different one, there is always ClassicArcadeGrafix or some other printing service.  I have a lot of other stuff to take care of with this product without printing custom marquees.  Anyway, if I do it, it's going to be at Kinko's, so it'd be cheaper for you to do it yourself without me tacking a couple bucks on for doing the legwork.

My other job...

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 09:32:12 pm »
Hey 1up,

Just wanted to wish you luck on your endeavor!  

Sounds really cool! Can't wait to see the pics of the first production model.

Will the plans continue to be freely available now that the kits/cabinet are a commercial enterprise?

Rampy

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 09:52:26 pm »
Hey 1up,

Just wanted to wish you luck on your endeavor!  

Sounds really cool! Can't wait to see the pics of the first production model.

Will the plans continue to be freely available now that the kits/cabinet are a commercial enterprise?

Rampy

That would kind of defeat my efforts...  The writeups on my site will continue to be available, but I pulled the plans a while back.

My other job...

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2014, 05:06:25 am
  • Projects: Centipede extended, Asteroids
    • Carlos' Centipede-extended
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 02:21:59 am »
Congrats, 1up! :D My best wishes for your plans.  :)

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 02:53:23 am »
I really like your cabinet because it actually looks like a classic cabinet (specifically it looks like you mated a Defender with a Centipede and then let Mr. and Ms. Pac-Man raise the resulting child).

The only thing I DON'T like is the large gap between monitor and control panel, but I could live with that since that is what makes the rotation control panels possible.

Also, did you know that most of my real life friends are familiar with your cabinet, and we regularly make jokes about insane things to do to top yours (which usually leads to insane ideas like "flip out STUN Runner motorcycle", "retractable dance pad", and "pop out skateboard", and "Final Furlong ride-on horse").

I of course could never afford to buy one of your kits or completed cabinets, but it looks really cool. Yes, I know I have a huge collection, but I have largely just CONSTANTLY traded and resold games, and don't actually have much cash invested in my collection. I have also been very blessed to have receieved a total of 11 different cabinets in the sub $25 range.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

menace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 10:57:06 am
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 07:46:08 am »
Hey--good luck on your venture!--I'm not going to have to pay a royalty fee every time I play mine now though am I?   ;D It may not resemble your cab but the trademark panel is there--I just hope you don't have any RIAA lawyers over there ;)  

You should also formally request that all those who have a copy of your plans --namely the free ones (I do, and I even put the control panel in cad) do not distribute--might save you the hassle of tracking down some unscrupulous e-bayer.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 07:47:32 am by menace »
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...

RetroJames

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 05:26:38 pm
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 07:49:50 am »
Good luck 1UP.  Your rotating cp really inspired me.  Many happy returns.  1HookedSpaceCadet

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2004, 01:25:30 pm »
Good luck 1up. Your cab was one of the first I saw when I got interested in my hobby, and I was thinking of a rotating CP for my next cab.  Of course, my first one isn't even close to done yet...... but I digress

Good luck and here's to hoping you can keep costs down and still make a profit (cuz maybe then I can afford to buy a kit :) )
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2004, 01:45:38 pm »
The only thing I DON'T like is the large gap between monitor and control panel, but I could live with that since that is what makes the rotation control panels possible.

There is another purpose too, as I finally got my backsplash artwork printed--it's a good place to put some instructions!  The finished cabs will feature instruction stickers for switching the panels and running the FE in that area.

Also, did you know that most of my real life friends are familiar with your cabinet, and we regularly make jokes about insane things to do to top yours (which usually leads to insane ideas like "flip out STUN Runner motorcycle", "retractable dance pad", and "pop out skateboard", and "Final Furlong ride-on horse").

LOL  ;D

I of course could never afford to buy one of your kits or completed cabinets, but it looks really cool. Yes, I know I have a huge collection, but I have largely just CONSTANTLY traded and resold games, and don't actually have much cash invested in my collection. I have also been very blessed to have receieved a total of 11 different cabinets in the sub $25 range.

We'll see very soon...

My other job...

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2004, 01:50:03 pm »
You should also formally request that all those who have a copy of your plans --namely the free ones (I do, and I even put the control panel in cad) do not distribute--might save you the hassle of tracking down some unscrupulous e-bayer.

I added such a warning a while back on the plans download page, and the plans have always carried the imprint "for non-commercial use only, DO NOT COPY OR DISTRIBUTE!"  You know, just in case people don't know what the copyright symbol means...

And yes, to everyone who has the old plans, PLEASE keep them to yourselves.  If I see them on ebay, I will ask them to be removed promptly.

My other job...

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2004, 01:53:07 pm »
It's well outside of my personal budget range, but it's a very nice looking cab. Good luck!

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2004, 02:43:56 pm »
For those of you who fear they may not be able to afford the cabinets, I would not object to a possible monthly Ebay auction.  I was considering selling some via Ebay anyway...

How it would work is, I would put up a kit or cab with a Buy-It-Now price at full retail.  The reserve would be set at or just above cost.  Then you just jump in and see how low the price can stay!  If it gets too high, drop out and wait for the next auction.

I think this would be a fair way for folks to get a discounted cab, without being my best friend.  Of course, that would work too... ;)

My other job...

Sephroth57

• Poo Monkey
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2020, 11:17:00 am
    • Check it out!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2004, 03:00:04 pm »
soo... wanna be best friends?  ;D
"Owens is the ringleader in the ass hat circus"  D K

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2004, 04:12:33 pm »
dont mess with ebay to try to save others here money.  Make sure you make money for everythign your doning.

If you want to have a cheap alternative for the people who are around...  Sell the plans...  

There really is two markets.  Those who do it themselfs.. And those who don't...  Not to many swing back and forth (unless you REALLY drop your prices)...

but the price to ship wood is expensive.  So you probably wont be able to sell them cheap enought even in a kit to make it worth your time satisfying everyone here.

Last... wasn't about a year ago that you needed to be talked into NOT selling your cabinet... and you going off and making a buisness out of it... We are SO proud... All grown up an all...

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2004, 04:39:39 pm »
dont mess with ebay to try to save others here money.  Make sure you make money for everythign your doning.

If you want to have a cheap alternative for the people who are around...  Sell the plans...  

There really is two markets.  Those who do it themselfs.. And those who don't...  Not to many swing back and forth (unless you REALLY drop your prices)...

but the price to ship wood is expensive.  So you probably wont be able to sell them cheap enought even in a kit to make it worth your time satisfying everyone here.

Last... wasn't about a year ago that you needed to be talked into NOT selling your cabinet... and you going off and making a buisness out of it... We are SO proud... All grown up an all...

Heheh, all grown up eh?  :)  I won't be selling plans because it would make it too easy for someone to compete.  If I get a patent, I might think about at least selling the outdated plans.  Then they would have to be licensed in order to sell them.  But if someone doesn't care about the law, it still makes it too easy.

My other job...

soslo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2012, 03:23:36 pm
  • The Governator
    • My website does not have a name yet
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2004, 05:28:42 pm »
Good luck 1up. You and frosty were my primary inspirations for this cab: http://www.aaronmurray.com/default.asp?page=arcade/dans_cab.htm

Do you plan to offer some sort of wiring harness? That was a huge pain...and I made a nice harness. Spent tons of hours on it...

5 MAME cabs and counting...

Ever wonder what full side art looks like?
http://www.aaronmurray.com

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2004, 05:41:02 pm »
Good luck 1up. You and frosty were my primary inspirations for this cab: http://www.aaronmurray.com/default.asp?page=arcade/dans_cab.htm

Do you plan to offer some sort of wiring harness? That was a huge pain...and I made a nice harness. Spent tons of hours on it...

The plan is to use Ultimarc's MinIPAC, which is available with wiring harness.

My other job...

Sasquatch!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2010, 04:11:47 pm
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2004, 10:26:15 pm »
Good luck, 1UP!  Yours is certainly a cab worth of commercial reproduction.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2004, 12:38:10 am »

while im not personally interested in such a cab... there are those that would be.  

i recomend making the cab wide enough to mount a 27" display in there.   Most fighters use 25" monitors.. and are much better visually.

your current 19" ?  monitor mounted horizontally wont display verticals without too much shrinkage.

with a 27" display mountd horizontally... youlll have a perfect 19" diagnol vertical picture - and a huge horizontal display to boot.  (good for tripple screen games too)

the only other route is rotating monitors... which can be a lot trickier.

i also agree with lilwolf.   only the wealthy without skillz will be buying these... the rest will try to duplicate it plans or not, on thier own.  Some may buy the plans though... as some like the ease, cost effectivness, and not having to re-invent the wheel.    

so with that in mind... you'd want to make the thing decked  out...  not cheap.  or... make a few different models: 'cost effecient'  &  'no expense spared'  kinda thing.

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2004, 03:26:14 am »

while im not personally interested in such a cab... there are those that would be.  

i recomend making the cab wide enough to mount a 27" display in there.   Most fighters use 25" monitors.. and are much better visually.

your current 19" ?  monitor mounted horizontally wont display verticals without too much shrinkage.

with a 27" display mountd horizontally... youlll have a perfect 19" diagnol vertical picture - and a huge horizontal display to boot.  (good for tripple screen games too)

the only other route is rotating monitors... which can be a lot trickier.

i also agree with lilwolf.   only the wealthy without skillz will be buying these... the rest will try to duplicate it plans or not, on thier own.  Some may buy the plans though... as some like the ease, cost effectivness, and not having to re-invent the wheel.    

so with that in mind... you'd want to make the thing decked  out...  not cheap.  or... make a few different models: 'cost effecient'  &  'no expense spared'  kinda thing.

I currently have a 27" monitor WITH enclosure mounted in my cab.  It takes literally every inch of available real estate in there, but it fits nonetheless.  (Looks SWEET BTW...)  I definitely will not be doing rotating monitors.

You wouldn't believe how many names I have of people waiting for these, with more requests coming in every day, all without any real advertising.  It will probably take a few months just to produce the first round of cabs, assuming most of the interest turns into actual orders.  I'm assuming most of those aren't CEOs, just folks who would rather spend the money up front for a quality finished product, rather than bit by bit while sacrificing a ton of free time.

My other job...

acejas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2021, 06:15:55 pm
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2004, 05:27:48 am »
what about us poor guys down under (Ozzie)?

Any plans for licensed distribution in Australia :)

Let it be known I'd be keen  ;D

Once you wewre up and running over there

I'd also pay big US dollars for the plans just to build one myself. Something worth thinking about for us guys downunder

Cheers

acejas

arcadecab

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2007, 06:17:06 pm
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2004, 04:51:10 pm »
1up,

Is it possible that the full cabinets will have a WG D9200 27" monitor?  It seems that the D9200 is by far the monitor of choice on the forums and I think any cabinet I purchased would probably have to have it due to the flexibility it seems to provide with the multiple resolutions supported, along with the positive reviews from others on the forums.
So basically, one could purchase a cabinet as shown, except for the Star Wars configuration, one could have a stardard Steering Wheel attachment, and also a 4 player configuration for the basic CP(8 buttons per player, etc.  similiar to the Slikstik Quad).
Good luck with the project--love the design.

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2004, 05:00:05 pm »
1up,

Is it possible that the full cabinets will have a WG D9200 27" monitor?  

That is the plan.  I have a 27" VGA monitor and am very satisfied with it.

My other job...

arcadecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2004, 01:56:59 pm »
1up,

Good news on the D9200 monitors for the full cabinets.  Just another question, for the 4-player panel, will options such as trackball, spinner, 4-way joystick, player select buttons, etc. be included?  Basically, similiar to the Slikstik Quad control panel?
Also, on the website I noticed the Terminator 2 guns listed as a future project.  Looked extremely cool.  Is it possible that one of the full cabinets would have the 4-player panel, a steering wheel panel, and the Terminator 2 guns on the third panel?  That would perhaps be my "dream" setup.  Is that possible?
Thanks.

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2004, 02:38:08 pm »
1up,

Good news on the D9200 monitors for the full cabinets.  Just another question, for the 4-player panel, will options such as trackball, spinner, 4-way joystick, player select buttons, etc. be included?  Basically, similiar to the Slikstik Quad control panel?
Also, on the website I noticed the Terminator 2 guns listed as a future project.  Looked extremely cool.  Is it possible that one of the full cabinets would have the 4-player panel, a steering wheel panel, and the Terminator 2 guns on the third panel?  That would perhaps be my "dream" setup.  Is that possible?
Thanks.

For starters, the panels will come in a standard layout, similar to what is on my cabinet now (panel 1 = fighter sticks and 4-way, panel 2 = trigger sticks, trackball and spinner, panel 3 = steering wheel or yoke).  I will know later if it will be possible to have custom or multiple choices for control panel layouts.

As far as T2 guns, unless someone starts making these, I don't see that becoming an option.  I have put my integrating my own guns on hold as there is currently no place to put them.  I would like something like the low-slung positional guns that I've seen  on some more recent gun games where you shoot from the hip, like on "Alien3 - The Gun".  This is not in my current plans, but I may ship with a lightgun option.

My other job...

arcadecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2004, 04:27:43 pm »
Thanks.
Just to confirm, when you mentioned the cabinets before, you stated that the 4-player cabinets would be from $2500-$4000.  So will the panel 1 be shipping as a standard 4 player control panel?  How many buttons per player? Or would that be a special option?
Hoping that the 4-player control panel (panel 1) will be a standard option, although on the website it looks like it is a two player control panel.

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2004, 05:31:22 pm »
Not everyone wants a 4-player, so it will either be an option, or a different model.  My preference is to do it as an add-on kit, so if you later decide you want a 4-player, it's and easy retrofit.  For that matter, you could buy the kit and retrofit any 2 player cab into a 4 player.

The 3rd and 4th player controls will be added on the sides, so they will not be part of the rotating assembly.  The shape of the cab will also change slightly to allow for design improvements.  As far as I know, none of the 4-player games use more than 4 buttons.  I will plan for 4 unless someone speaks up now...

This is not just going to be a mass-produced version of Pac-Mamea folks, this is a whole new product, with a whole new website coming soon!

My other job...

Citznfish2

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2004, 07:00:59 pm »
how about a panel option for 2 player 4 stick games like Karate Champ PvP, Smash TV, Robotron, etc..

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2004, 07:07:24 pm »
how about a panel option for 2 player 4 stick games like Karate Champ PvP, Smash TV, Robotron, etc..

Why would that need to be different than a 4 player setup?  The sticks would just be arranged so they work either way.  I don't think it would be cost effective to have a dozen different panel setups.  I'm trying to keep things simple here...

My other job...

Citznfish2

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2004, 07:14:40 pm »

Why would that need to be different than a 4 player setup?  The sticks would just be arranged so they work either way.  I don't think it would be cost effective to have a dozen different panel setups.  I'm trying to keep things simple here...

well, i thought with a 4 player set up the 3 and 4 player controls would be angled, so the sticks are not parallel, while on the games I listed the sticks are parallel. I dunno about you, but it feels wierd to play karate champ and have my left hand 4 inches foward of my right

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2004, 07:33:54 pm »
well, i thought with a 4 player set up the 3 and 4 player controls would be angled, so the sticks are not parallel, while on the games I listed the sticks are parallel. I dunno about you, but it feels wierd to play karate champ and have my left hand 4 inches foward of my right

Well, I'm not planning to angle the panels.  The whole idea of a cabinet like this is that it allows you to play almost every type of game, with the correct controls.  But even with 3 control panels,  there have to be compromises since it can't really have the exact control configurations of thousands of games, but it can get close.

So the compromise would be that the 3rd and 4th player controls are parallel and level with the 1st and 2nd.  This would allow 2 player 4 stick games, with the compromise that the sticks arent' spaced quite as close as in the original games.  It also would allow 4 player games, with the compromise that players may occasionally bump elbows.

I will endeavor to strike the best possible balance if people have suggestions on games that require special control configurations.  This was my whole design philosophy behind the control layouts I use, but of course, those layouts cater to the games I personally play most.  But if people have concerns about certain games, my ears are open, and I'll get roms for games I've never played if necessary to make this a more well-rounded cab!

But be advised, while I will make every effort to make the setup as compatible as possible, I don't want to add controls that are useful in only one obscure game.  So the 12" foot operated trackball is out!  ;)  I may allow the option to order rotary sticks instead of bat sticks, etc, but totally custom button and stick placements will be impossible.  Instead, I will provide layouts that are the most commonly used, and allow for the greatest flexibility, while not interfering with the proper play of the most popular games.

My other job...

CitznFish

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2023, 12:36:44 pm
  • www.subvertcity.com - Prof. Strength Slackwear
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2004, 11:02:08 pm »
Sounbds good..Can't wait to see the final product.  Can you add a skill crane? ;)

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2004, 09:17:16 pm »
Sounbds good..Can't wait to see the final product.  Can you add a skill crane? ;)

Don't give me any ideas...I'd add air hockey if I could.

My other job...

MrBond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2012, 03:50:37 pm
  • ...The name's Do......Mr. Do!...
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2004, 02:21:26 pm »
Good luck with your endeavor!  Your cab and website were an encouragment to my own arcade cab building.  
...they only live twice!...
(>")>----MAME----<("<)