Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pocket Joining vs Brackets  (Read 6594 times)

jimfath

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2021, 02:58:31 am
  • IT consultant
Pocket Joining vs Brackets
« on: November 25, 2019, 07:05:15 pm »
I'm in the process of a cab revision and a bartop and wanted to know if there are any advantages to using pocket joints vs joining pieces with brackets?

I've only ever used the brackets but I bought a Krieg jig and wondered what the various perks are? I can see how it would be harder to line up with pocket joints having to use use full size pieces.
Is one stronger than the other? is ply or mdf better for either?

vs
@jimfath

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: Pocket Joining vs Brackets
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 07:13:03 pm »
I built my first cabinet with cleats and glue.  For the next three I used the Kreg Jig.  For me the Kreg is much faster, easier and cleaner since you don't need glue.  Plus you can take it apart if you need to. You can also add braces if you really feel it is needed.

For the most part it comes down to personal preference.  Either method done right will work fine. 

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 07:15:39 pm »
Ply is better than MDF in my opinion, but they both have their places. MDF dulls tools and the dust is terrible. Finishing it is a bit trick.

As for pockets vs blocks... The strongest is glue. Like stronger than the wood it's joining. The pocket screws and blocks just hold it together while the glue dries. That said, one could just screw it together, but over the long term, it will not be as durable as gluing. Think of Ikea furniture. If you had an Allen key and tried it on every piece that you say on or interacted with and you'd find loose screws and sloppy joints. It's why I use glue on some of my Ikea stuff... So I don't need to keep that damned key!

There is no right or wrong I don't think... Just gotta go with what you're comfortable with and what you feel best meets your needs. Now if you want to angle your joysticks, I think there is a consensus there  :lol

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 12:26:33 am »
Just to throw another point to pocket holes vs blocks/brackets, original cabinets didn’t do much pocket joining. Like VERY little. Glue, screws, and blocks made up original cabinets built for long term commercial use.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:09:41 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 11:11:25 am »
Just to throw another point to pocket holes vs blocks/brackets, original cabinets didn’t do much pocket joining. Like VERY little. Glue, screws, and blocks made up original cabinets built for long term commercial use.

On the flip side of that, I’ve seen a bunch of cabs where the staples and glue holding the cabs together have given up the ghost.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 01:06:08 pm »
 ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 09:43:34 am by jennifer »