Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mame pc blurry acrade monitor problem  (Read 1816 times)

mikehaggar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2022, 04:16:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Mame pc blurry acrade monitor problem
« on: February 01, 2022, 03:28:24 pm »
Hi folks, I just bought a sf2 cab with a 25" wells gardner k7000 monitor and the picture is good with the sf2 arcade board that came with it but when I put in a groovymame pc everything is slightly ghosted round the edges. The mame pc is fine in a candy cab but not this american cab. Any ideas as to why and how to fix it?  Thanks.

mrchrister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:39:26 am
Re: Mame pc blurry acrade monitor problem
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 05:21:54 pm »
It might just be the photo but it looks blurry to me instead of ghosting. Might be worth a shot: Can you improve the picture at all with the focus dial on the CRT?

mikehaggar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 08:29:13 am »
Tried messing with the focus and the brightness contrast it doesnt help. The pcb board that came with it looks fine its just the mame pc that looks wrong. All the colors seem slightly off also and it just doesnt look right. Groovymame have different settings needing to be tweaked for different monitors?

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2024, 07:42:16 pm
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 04:52:43 pm »
GM shouldn't really need colour, brightness or focus adjustments (and doesn't even have the last). You can only really make things look worse in those areas from how they come out of the box.

How is the PC set up? What hardware, OS, GPU, and how does the signal get into the arcade monitor?

mikehaggar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 01:52:45 pm »
I bought it from a guy who builds mini jamma pc's. Heres the link to the forum where he sells them: http://www.ukvac.com/forum/2huwmans-mame-pcs-jamma-cab-ready_topic366774.html
MiniKAB 3: Intel Pentium G5400 (Socket LGA1151 3.7 GHz) MicroATX based system.
Featuring an M.2 SSD slot (which means that the SSD plugs straight into the mobo, with no wires or mess!).
Preloaded with Windows 7 Pro 64bit, 4GB DDR4 RAM, 128GB M.2 SSD, and a radeon HD4350 GPU for 15khz using Crt_emudriver 2.0.
It boots into the frontend in under 15 seconds and runs almost everything that’s runnable in MAME!

It hooks up to the arcade via the jamma harness. It works with a perfect picture with my two japanese candy cabs just looks bad with this wells gardener monitor.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2024, 07:42:16 pm
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 05:37:16 pm »
Hmmm, i will admit i'm at a loss here. The only thing i can think of is trying to isolate the problem a bit better. Can you try playing around with different configurations of the J-pac, and then try removing the j-pac completely? And playing with the brightness of course to see how similar you can get the image. That might involve a bit of rewiring, i guess.

You could also post up on the monitor & video subforum asking about potential issues with the WG k7000 and different video signals/cables/amps etc.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:42:14 am
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 05:53:50 pm »
Have you turned off or disconnected the DC power in the cab?
Check out my completed projects!

mikehaggar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 07:17:17 am »
If you turned that off how would the monitor be on? The cab does seem to have two power supplies for some reason though.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:42:14 am
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 09:25:55 am »
Monitor doesn't need DC power, it takes AC only.

DC supplies game PCB, coin mech, maybe audio, but not the monitor.

Although there are some vague and loose industry standards, JAMMA connectors can be wired every which way. Esp. with a non-standard game like SF2 where you will have stuff like kick harnesses to deal with as well. Leaving the DC PSU on and connected means you are mixing up your arcade power with your PC power, potentially creating issues.
Check out my completed projects!