Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What's the magic behind CRTEmudriver, SwitchRes and refresh/pixel perfection?  (Read 1656 times)

marquisor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2019, 03:30:56 am
  • I want to get my CRT Arcade station running!
Hello CRT fellas,

not sure if it's in the correct category for my thoughts, but well, let's start with a short story:

Got my hands on a 17" VGA CRT, Peacock Top 17, kinda unknown for google, so I got no specs for it.
But it can do up to 1024x768 @85 Hz determined by just testing switching Windows video modes and refresh rates.

I've hooked it up my Intel Quadcore Q9550 with a fresh Win7 64 install and a newly bought Radeon HD6450 with the CRTEmudriver, did the modelines and so far it does the res switching and I'm happy.
GroovyMAME 0.213, AttractMode Frontend and RetroArch 1.7.8.
Before I put it all into a cab (which I doubt I will with that exact setup) I'm doing some preliminary exercise.

Now I want to get deeper into all this stuff. My main thoughts/questions are:

- I've read most FAQs, did some searches here and on the www, tried for myself to derive the .ini and .cfg stuff, how it all (seems to) work together and made some progress, but now I'm stuck -

1.) How to create a custom monitor.ini for my "unknown" model?
For usage with vmmaker.exe. To get the most out of it. I'm not sure if a/what tool could read out some specs of the monitor or if there's just test software to "write it down"? Which also implies the next question...

2.) How to understand the CRT modeline terminology?
I'm a bit into this topic by using Linux tools like GTF and CVT and a OSSC for other purpose.
So most terminology like BackPorch, FrontPorch and what/why they do etc. are understandable for me.
How is it used for SwitchRes and how does it come altogether for the GroovyMAME drivers and their resolution and refresh rate demands?

3.) How to get vertical games run pixel perfect on horizontal setup without rotation?
I think the "only" thing for SwitchRes to take in precedence is, what resolution it uses is to decide as if it would run on horizontal and not 90° rotated;
So x and y might be swapped before letting SwitchRes decide?

4.) How to create custom modes for GroovyMAME and other emulators?
To add some tweaking especially for getting pixel perfection I would try to adjust or add some custom modelines. Also for the above horizontal/vertical discrepancy.
What method do you recommend for this? And how to calculate the modeline(s) and put them into vmmaker or (what) .ini file?

5.) How to use the custom resolutions AND refresh rates in other emulators?
Especially for RetroArch (ok it has some own "SwitchRes" stuff which isn't working yet) and standalone Emulators like VICE (C64), WinUAE, Atari800.
What do I have to tell these emulators to switch the resolution to their EXACT refresh rate? Ok I could read their docs, sure.
But I still need to know the coherences with above driver, SwitchRes and modelines properties beforehand?!

6.) How to get a decent Windows Desktop Resolution for my 17" at least 1024x768 capable CRT?
To have more ergonomic work on the rig possible: What do I have to add to the modelines to get at least a default 4:3 higher resolution for my desktop?
I'm currently stuck at 640x480 or 2560x960 maximum which is suboptimal.

I'm from Germany so it's maybe difficult to understand, it was also a bit difficult for me to write, so feel free to correct me or ask. It's a lot of stuff for me to learn.
So far I'm quite happy with GroovyMAME, CRTEmudriver, SwitchRes and my progress. But the above struggles give me headaches to get it near to (my own) perfection.

A big THX in advance and
Regards
MAQ

Recapnation

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:39:55 pm
    • Eiusdemmodi
Which guides have you read, may I ask? Most of those points should be covered by any decent one.

Addressing your first question (which I believe is the one you should (re)consider before any other), the "magic" is called "15 kHz", and you aren't getting it --nor something which simulates it well enough-- with a monitor like that. Since you're in Germany, it should be easy getting a 15-kHz RGB TV, even one around that tiny size if that's really needed. So, unless you just want to emulate the few 24~31-kHz games under MAME and little else (and for that purpose that monitor may serve you well), think about tracking down an old TV set.