Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Just wanted to share the Force Feedback I added to my Aimtrak. I love it!!  (Read 2449 times)

KillerQ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2021, 09:15:18 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Here’s a little about it:

Here it is in action:

Thanks for watching!

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
As an FYI, there are a few options for generating full auto recoil from a solenoid that don't require any electronics knowledge or soldering or programming or custom scripts etc. If you were avoiding using a solenoid because you didn't have the time or inclination to build a custom PCB, here is some options for you:

Starting with the cheapest, $7 delivered for one of these ne555 signal generators off eaby:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NE555-Pulse-Frequency-Duty-Cycle-Square-Rectangular-Wave-SignalGenerator-Mod-DU/312935159919?hash=item48dc63986f:g:XU0AAOSwJshc~z9G

They are super easy to use. Just 3 wires to connect (to a header) and adjust the pots to make it the speed you like. This is me testing one with a battery but it can connect directly to an Aimtrak recoil board:

Or, for the absolute best option, check out the Aim-Force dongle from Arcade Guns:

http://www.arcadeguns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=322

It's obviously more expensive but their recoil software is the best I've seen. No other solution gives you as much control or features. Plus, it's specifically designed to work with the Aimtrak.

KillerQ

• Offline Offline
Thank you for that link, I was actually looking at that before. I just wanted to mess around with parts that I had on hand. If I use your idea, I will definitely have to find a toy gun with more room inside.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
Re: Just wanted to share the Force Feedback I added to my Aimtrak. I love it!!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 04:41:04 pm »
Thank you for that link, I was actually looking at that before. I just wanted to mess around with parts that I had on hand. If I use your idea, I will definitely have to find a toy gun with more room inside.

Finding a gun shell with enough room can be a challenge on it's own. I found that it's usually better to just find one that was already made to fit a recoil solenoid.

Those jolt guns made for the PS1 and Saturn are pretty good for a diy project. They are one of the few home guns to use a proper solenoid and they have far more space for electronics than the Time Crisis arcade guns. It saves a lot of time an money. With a little patience, they can be found for as little as $30.

I bought a pair of Terminator Salvation solenoids for projects. They aren't the best in terms of force but they are a good bit smaller than most arcade solenoids. They won't fit in an Aimtrak shell but they fit nicely in my House of the Dead 4 guns. They'd work well if you wanted to copy the awesome mini Uzi project thread on this site.

KillerQ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 11:15:09 pm »
Great info, thanks! I’ll update you when I start the project.

KillerQ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 07:21:02 pm »
I’d prefer to order from amazon. Would this do the same thing?

XLX 5PCS 12V NE555 0-10 Seconds Delay Module Constant Current Regulator High Power High Efficiency Timer Delay on Monostable Delay Switch Converter for Automotive Control System Electrical Equipment  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q27L1WK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MIloEbVGJ5GXN

As an FYI, there are a few options for generating full auto recoil from a solenoid that don't require any electronics knowledge or soldering or programming or custom scripts etc. If you were avoiding using a solenoid because you didn't have the time or inclination to build a custom PCB, here is some options for you:

Starting with the cheapest, $7 delivered for one of these ne555 signal generators off eaby:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NE555-Pulse-Frequency-Duty-Cycle-Square-Rectangular-Wave-SignalGenerator-Mod-DU/312935159919?hash=item48dc63986f:g:XU0AAOSwJshc~z9G

They are super easy to use. Just 3 wires to connect (to a header) and adjust the pots to make it the speed you like. This is me testing one with a battery but it can connect directly to an Aimtrak recoil board:

Or, for the absolute best option, check out the Aim-Force dongle from Arcade Guns:

http://www.arcadeguns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=322

It's obviously more expensive but their recoil software is the best I've seen. No other solution gives you as much control or features. Plus, it's specifically designed to work with the Aimtrak.