Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: !!!!! MAJOR NEWS ALERT!!!!!!!  (Read 9186 times)

hulkster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2021, 04:27:59 pm
  • HulkaMAMEia is runnin' wild!
Re:!!!!! MAJOR NEWS ALERT!!!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2004, 04:36:29 pm »
Thank goodness I'm still running Winblows 98.  ::)

To quote Patrick Notron of the ScreenSavers:

"Even with all of xp's security holes... even with the leaked source, even if it was the full source.  Xp is STILL 1000 times more secure than 98."

People this isn't as big of news as you might think.  According to recent reports the portion of the source leaked is related to m$ accessories, particularly msPaint.  So if a malicious hacker wants to turn your green color swatch purple then watch out!  Otherwise just chill.

Xp's source code is something like 40 gigs in size.... only 650 megs leaked and it's application specific stuff.  

Also regarding the "If you are worried about security then use a mac." Statement:

The reason you see viruses on windows and not mac os is because far more people use windows than a mac. Why write a virus that'll attack 15% of the computing population when you can write one that'll take out the other 85?  

Also generally people break into your computer to steal stuff.  What huge goverment database do you know of that runs on a mac based network?  How about a huge payroll database?  Actually how about any senstive data?  Mac's are used in business mostly for artistic applications which are hard to steal due to watermarks and ect which make them easily identifiable.  

So a mac isn't more secure, it's just far less likely to be targeted.  I would say that they are on about equal ground it's just that xp gets hammered on a daily basis with attacks while macs have plenty of time to fix any holes that might pop up.

howard, i think hell has frozen over because....i agree with everything you said, 100%  holy crap, somebody watch out, the world is ending soon. ;D

Harakiri

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2014, 05:02:37 am
  • Invisible member status
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2004, 05:27:19 pm »
People 3 words:

M$ Windows Update!

;D

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2004, 05:34:32 pm »
That was the one I used to have... I love it... "the confusing thing about the pc is you go to the store and the are so many games like everywhere you look... But on the mac... there are 6... And you know which ones are good because you already played them all on the PC like 5 or 6 years ago."

Heh check this one out  ;D

3dmacman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2010, 01:34:30 pm
  • Gaming, its a way of life.
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2004, 10:30:30 am »
I've been using a mac for over five years now, not that long, and have never had any real physical problems with there machines or operating system that I couldn't fix my self. The important thing to remember about apple is yes there operating system is unix based now and much more stable than previous versions, but primarily they are a computer company like dell or (yech)  gatway.  They just  there own operating system for there machines. As they have from the beginnning. My ownly gripe is they are soo damn expensive.  And there are definetly viruses for mac. The percentage of user base is small, very comprable to bmw or ferrrai, also very expensive.  I've used mac and pc for graphic design, and prefer mac just for ease of use. If I download a file I want to know where it goes with out going through a multiple step process. Just my $1.50