Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cabinet Plans for Sony Trinitron KV-27FS100  (Read 1746 times)

Flux85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2019, 02:51:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Cabinet Plans for Sony Trinitron KV-27FS100
« on: June 13, 2019, 10:41:30 am »
Hi all, I am new to this forum and looking for cabinet plans that will fit a Sony Trinitron KV-27FS100 which was collecting dust in my parents basement. I have looked into cabinets from North Coast but it looks like they will only fit monitors with a max width of 27”. This TV measures 30” wide. Has anyone built a cabinet for this model TV and be willing to share plans? Is it possible to remove the casing from the TV and save space? It has vertical speakers on each side that I wound not plan to use. Any recommendations would be helpful.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:18:54 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Cabinet Plans for Sony Trinitron KV-27FS100
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 01:59:41 pm »
Whichever design you choose, make sure it fits through a standard doorway. That cab is going to awfully wide and deep.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2024, 04:36:20 pm
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 04:40:22 pm »
I just picked up a KV-27FS200 for my console collection. I'm looking into RGB modding mine, from my reading the KV-27FS100 is popular for doing so. You should do your own reading and take a look over at shmups.system11.

Mine is for my console collection not for MAME. I need to open mine up and check to confirm the JUNGLE chip is the IC103, as expected. I also need to do some additional learning on doing such a mod.

Also, the service manual for both our sets are the same https://www.manualslib.com/manual/696744/Sony-Trinitron-Kv-27fs100.html

For a MAME build I would just use its component input with a comparable ATI graphics card. It would be very hard to tell the differences from RGB and component anyway.
http://www.cablek.com/product/AV-CV7P-3RCAF
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:26:45 pm by Locke141 »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:11:00 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 05:36:06 pm »
Those TV's aren't that well suited for MAME.  The chassis behind the tube on the newer Sony TV's is problematic at properly showing refresh rates below 60hz.  A number of games from Midway in the 90's used mid 50hz refresh rates (Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam, Smash TV, etc.).  There are work arounds but they are less then ideal.

It's a great TV for consoles however, and as was mentioned you should either RGB mod the TV, or use the component inputs, just know that you will need a VGA to component transcoder if you go that route. 

Yes you can de-case the TV, and actually someone is building their cabinet around (virtually) the same TV, and de-cased theirs:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160370.0.html

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 07:58:08 am »
My neo geo cab is about 24“ wide. If you can decease the tv and get an overall width close to that, your in good shape. Control panel could possibly be removable like golden tee, or sit in-between the sides. 24“ is plenty room.

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 02:13:08 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 05:36:41 pm »
Just noticed this thread, I’ll get some shots of my Sketch Up plans and post them here for you to check out. The picture of plans in my thread is not for that tv. The most narrow I could get was 27” (worked out a little wider) , the uncased TV was 25.5” wide and about 22” deep (I think). Going to start experimenting with a AMD 6450 this week and a vga to component converter. Right now it’s running picture through a VSC 150 that gives me a pretty good 480i picture, but displays everything well. Feel free to ask questions