Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New IPAC 4 User - Oddities, just need some direction on where to start...  (Read 3990 times)

BelPowerslave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2019, 08:10:07 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
A (somewhat)quick summary: Years and years ago a buddy of mine and I purchased this controller from a guy off Craig's List. Everything worked fine when he showed it to us, everything worked fine once my buddy got it back to his place and did all the programming. We kept it at his place, it was a gorgeous setup! Years go by, life happens, he doesn't have much use for it, so now it's mine. This thing worked *perfectly* back at his place, but ever since I inherited it, it's just a weird mess. Button assignments, error messages via software, some buttons work, some don't, etc.

At any rate, I'm trying to start over and just get a handle on this thing. I didn't mess with the IPAC software back when he had it, so I'm very new to it all. As far as I can tell, I have two very real problems: 1) The key config for the IPAC is having issues(some buttons, movements have two or more keys assigned to them, just doing a test shows just one controller and buttons being all over the 4 players' actions). 2) The IPAC software cannot seem to program the IPAC 4(I get a "Driver Installed OK" and then followed with "Failed to Program Device. Try reinstall with board connected and/or reboot").

I'm not sure what could have happened from when it worked fine until now. I think that if I could just get the IPAC software to restore the default keybindings everything would be alright, but I just can't seem to make it happen.

I've tried WinIPAC 2.08(where I get the error) and WinIPAC 1.0.19.0(though the program identifies itself as "WinIPAC v2") says "No Board" and nothing I do gets it to detect it.

Running Windows 10, 64bit and the IPAC is hooked to the PC via a PS-2 to USB cable.

I have no idea what the firmware may be, manufacturing date or anything like that. I just assume it falls between the "Before 2015 but after 2004" category.

Changing the "Connection Type" from USB to PS-2 results in a "Time Out" when attempting to program the IPAC.

I run the programs as an Administrator; I have tried various Compatibility Modes.

Just real quick: Panda Antivirus considers both installers to be some sort of exploit(or something) and though I have let them through, weird things have occurred since like Panda just crashing and various settings changing for no reason. Both installers were acquired from the official Ultimarc site.

Admins: Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, or I need to attempt a few other things before posting anything.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 10:42:44 am by BelPowerslave »

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
Wow, that CP is quite a doozy!  Are you sure you need the antivirus with Windows 10?  Sounds like the install is not completing.  Try completely turning off the antivirus when installing. 

BelPowerslave

• Offline Offline
The guy who made that collage, he had a Facebook page at one point where he sold them...I've yet to find it since we bought it from him, but it's definitely something.

I had to turn off Panda to get the application to install. What's funny is, once you install it, Panda Antivirus has no problems with it. At any rate, it looks like it installed correctly.

Messing around with the controller last night, I did figure out a few things:

1) Those clip-like connections that attach to the buttons or sticks were somewhat loose, which made the accompanying motions report as "none" in MAME. Though I haven't completely cleared that issue, it looks like maybe cleaning the contacts may help? I guess that leads me to my next question: What to use? Just standard rubbing alcohol? This is what I get for my buddy storing this wonderful device in his garage for however long...

2) Though the configuration on the IPAC Four is just odd, with keys not even remotely being at the default settings and two or more keys acting as the same button/motion. I still firmly believe that if I could just get the IPAC software to program the IPAC Four unit, even just back to defaults, I would be set. Does anyone know what I might do to try to get this working? Like I mention previously, it states that the "driver installed ok", the next message is "Failed to Program Device. Try reinstall with board connected and/or reboot" and the IPAC is *not* reprogrammed.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

BelPowerslave

• Offline Offline
I decided to try to boot to my XP hard drive...installed WinIPAC(again, 2.08) and, magically, it had less than no problem programming the unit(man, it's fast!). So, with it reset to defaults, I went back in to Windows 10 and opened WinIPAC, just to see if anything had changed. This is where it gets strange. Look at the two attached pictures...one is from Windows XP, it correctly shows my 4 player setup on the IPAC 4. In Windows 10...I have no idea what that is, or why it's showing like that. Didn't even bother attempting to program anything with that weird-ass layout.

I guess I can live with having to boot into Windows XP anytime I need to do any programming...it's just weird that the same exact software would display such differences on the exact same hardware.

I keep seeing this "update firmware" command in the WinIPAC software, but as I have no idea when my IPAC was made, I don't know if I can even update the firmware...but if I could, which version to use...and why?

Rogue Trooper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2021, 03:48:05 pm
Had a nosey on the Ultimarc website and it does say for Vista and Windows 7, (in which case Windows 10 would be the same) that it needs to be run as an 'Administrator'. That may then give you the same results as you are getting under XP.

BelPowerslave

• Offline Offline
I've tried that, I've tried every single compatibility mode, nothing changes it, nor will it program in 10(64bit). It's not a huge deal, I can boot to my XP HDD whenever I need to change something, it's just very strange.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:01:29 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Three more things to consider:

1. Overlapping defaults
There's an overlap in the I-Pac4 defaults for P2B5-P2B8 and P3 Joystick. (both use I, K, J, and L)

2. Modifier keys
Good advice from BadMouth here.

There are five default MAME "modifier" keys that can cause problems:
- P1B1
- P1B2
- P1B4
- P3B1
- P3B2

3. Shifted functions
Looks like you're using dedicated admin buttons so you may want to consider disabling shifted functions like Menu (Tab).

From the FAQ:
To keep guests or children from accidently messing up their cab configuration, many individuals choose to not include a Menu (Tab) button and disable the shifted function for Menu. (P1 Start + joystick right on I-Pac)

Scott

BelPowerslave

• Offline Offline
Overlapping Defaults:

Yes, this is exactly what I ran into! In later versions of MAME, I think, it seems like they've changed this, but I need to investigate further. I think, back in the day, they never thought anyone would have a four player setup going on.

Modifier Keys:

Dude, yes, another thing I ran into. I don't like using those keys, they seem to cause nothing but problems in and out of MAME.

Shifted Keys:

I'm not sure I have anything like this set up, but if it's in the default settings via WinIPAC, it may very well be there. That's something I will also look into!

Odd question: So if you look at the controller I have, there are three buttons towards the top, left hand side....I don't know what they do, what they were intended to do, or how to even get WinIPAC to recognize them. Odd. At any rate, I think I saw a thread about that at some point, so I'll try to dig a bit more and see if there's anything to be done with them(I hate to waste a button that could be used for Pause or something).

Thanks again to all that have offered suggestions with my issues...I am just thrilled to death to have this thing (somewhat)working. I need to try to clean the contacts on the buttons and sticks' undersides(where those crimp connection things hold on) to clean up some of these kinda-working actions and actions where it just sort of blinks on and off(again, more than likely due to a faulty connection).

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:01:29 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Overlapping Defaults:

Yes, this is exactly what I ran into! In later versions of MAME, I think, it seems like they've changed this, but I need to investigate further. I think, back in the day, they never thought anyone would have a four player setup going on.
AFAIK MAMEDevs haven't changed the defaults for quite some time.

Andy addresses the origin of the overlap here.

Shifted Keys:

I'm not sure I have anything like this set up, but if it's in the default settings via WinIPAC, it may very well be there. That's something I will also look into!
Shifted functions are enabled by default -- see right column here for the list.

To see them in WinIPAC, click the "Show Shifted Keys" radio button on the left.

At a minimum, you'll probably want to disable/clear the shifted function for Menu.  (P1 Start + joystick right on I-Pac ==> TAB)

Odd question: So if you look at the controller I have, there are three buttons towards the top, left hand side....I don't know what they do, what they were intended to do, or how to even get WinIPAC to recognize them. Odd. At any rate, I think I saw a thread about that at some point, so I'll try to dig a bit more and see if there's anything to be done with them(I hate to waste a button that could be used for Pause or something).
I figured that those were your dedicated admin buttons.
- Red is usually Exit. (ESC)
- Yellow is usually Pause. (P)
- Green is often Launch/Start. (Enter)

Trace the signal wire from each admin button back to the IPac input to confirm.

WinIPAC doesn't know your panel's physical layout, only which input sends which keystroke when that input's button is pressed.

Scott
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 11:37:43 pm by PL1 »