Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Joystick Identification/Restoration/switches  (Read 2038 times)

CHRIS-F

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:59:12 am
  • I always have screws left over after repairs :-)
Joystick Identification/Restoration/switches
« on: June 06, 2019, 09:16:18 am »
Hi All,

I'm looking to refurbish my Joysticks, someone mentioned in a post I made a few years back that they might be Suzo 500's, I had a little look online and they look similar, but once opened up they don't look the same as any pictures I found, does anyone know what these sticks are? if so can I purchase new rubber bushings for them in the U.K. ? and switches?

Also what are my options for replacement switches/what search terms should I use? some of my switches are labelled Cherry and some Swiss Miltac, but the lugs are different sizes is there a standard? that's probably why some of my connectors were loose and were broken, the switches themselves work part of the way but not when fully depressed and switch cleaner doesn't seem to help.

If I have to buy new sticks are the Suzo Happ sticks any good, I think I prefer nice stiff sticks.

Thanks,
Chris

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Joystick Identification/Restoration/switches
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 01:06:07 pm »
I dunno about the rubber grommets but the switches shouldn't be an issue.  Arcade switches have a universal size, although the stiffness of the switch and the terminal spacing might vary a bit depending upon the manufacturer.  The point is any arcade switch should fit that.  Cherry is the high end switch, but hell, I think data east joysticks came with zippy style switches from the factory, which are decidedly low end, and they still worked fine. 

All of that being said I have some of the sticks you have pictured and they kind of suck.  Unless it's for restoring a dedicated cab I would invest in either an American happ style joystick or a Japanese suzo *edit* I meant sanwa... oops  :-[
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 11:25:09 pm by Howard_Casto »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 03:09:19 pm »
Well there are 2 different terminal sizes for switches actually.

There is the “normal” 4.x mm size and a smaller 2.x mm size (forgot the x atm...)

The Cherry switches you have are the normal size and can be replaced with a DX44 switch from somewhere like AWUK.
They are also what you find in the standard HAPP style buttons.

The smaller ones tend to be found on buttons that have a switch built in like the Sanwa clip ins.

As for your sticks, Personally I always hated that type and would suggest swapping them for something else!

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 06:57:12 am »

There is the “normal” 4.x mm size and a smaller 2.x mm size (forgot the x atm...)

What is the size referring to, is it the width of the spade terminal? If so mine are mostly about 4.8mm can't measure them accurately with a tape measure, but some of them are around 6.9mm, I think that is why the previous owner has damaged some of the push on spade connectors some of them are snapped on one side and been tightened on with pliers.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 07:04:45 am »

What is the size referring to, is it the width of the spade terminal? If so mine are mostly about 4.8mm can't measure them accurately with a tape measure, but some of them are around 6.9mm, I think that is why the previous owner has damaged some of the push on spade connectors some of them are snapped on one side and been tightened on with pliers.

Yeah thats right the normal size is 4.8mm

You can also get 2.8 and 6.3mm but I have never seen 6.3mm on any arcade parts (yet...)

You can buy a crimper set which has all 3 sizes if required.
Like this one:

Preciva AWG22-16 Crimping Tool Set, Ratchet Crimping Plier with 300 Ferrule Terminal Connectors and Transparent Cable Sleeves 0.5-  1.5mm˛ https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H4LCNKT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CqK-CbQQQ9XSJ

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 07:05:13 am »
I dunno about the rubber grommets but the switches shouldn't be an issue.  Arcade switches have a universal size, although the stiffness of the switch and the terminal spacing might vary a bit depending upon the manufacturer.  The point is any arcade switch should fit that.  Cherry is the high end switch, but hell, I think data east joysticks came with zippy style switches from the factory, which are decidedly low end, and they still worked fine. 

All of that being said I have some of the sticks you have pictured and they kind of suck.  Unless it's for restoring a dedicated cab I would invest in either an American happ style joystick or a Japanese suzo *edit* I meant sanwa... oops  :-[.

It's not a dedicated restoration or anything it's just a generic jamma cab, I know the sticks are not that good, but I kind of like the stiffness, the problem is PL1 stick is loose as it's had years of abuse and PL2 stick is nice and stiff, if I can't get replacement bushes, I'm just wondering if I could make a new set of polyurethane bushings for them, car guys have videos on youtube where they make poly bushes all the time, might give it a go :-)

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 07:25:32 am »
You can also get 2.8 and 6.3mm but I have never seen 6.3mm on any arcade parts (yet...)

Thanks, I was going to buy a new jamma harness but I might just get one of those crimping set and some new switches :-)

check image below now you have seen 6.3mm lol, it was a jamma cab from an old arcade most are normal size but a few are 6.3mm so I guess they just used what they could find to keep it running, not sure why they forced the connectors on though breaking them srurely a better bodge would have been to solder it on.

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 07:27:00 am »
Thanks for the info Guys :-)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 07:58:46 am »

Thanks, I was going to buy a new jamma harness but I might just get one of those crimping set and some new switches :-)

check image below now you have seen 6.3mm lol, it was a jamma cab from an old arcade most are normal size but a few are 6.3mm so I guess they just used what they could find to keep it running, not sure why they forced the connectors on though breaking them srurely a better bodge would have been to solder it on.

First time for everything :p