Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: acrylic arcade control DIY cases  (Read 2084 times)

shredhead1260

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2019, 09:11:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
acrylic arcade control DIY cases
« on: June 03, 2019, 10:17:14 pm »
Any idea where I can find an acrylic joystick case that would have spots for two joysticks and a trackball? The ones I've seen online for two joysticks have a second set of holes for buttons too. I'm only looking for single player, but I'd like to be able to play some of the games that are best with a trackball. Then there's Robotron which uses two joysticks. I would like acrylic so it's not so heavy on your lap. I suppose I could build this from scratch but I'm trying to save time. I don't want the thing totally built though, because I'd like to get the higher quality joystick and buttons than you'd normally get with a package deal.

the goal is to make up one of these things, hook it to the big TV, and play Retropie/Mame games. I have wanted to build an entire cabinet for quite a long time but I just don't have the time. I figure this is a good compromise and I can move the Pi that's been on my desk for a year into the area in front of the TV where it will finally get some use.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:39:33 am
Re: acrylic arcade control DIY cases
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 10:54:46 am »
Check the Retail Vendors sub.  This is BYOAC though so not a lot of people around here looking for off the shelf stuff...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 12:47:58 am »
I can't help you with vendors but I'll give you this advice...  you WANT it to be heavy... as a matter of fact some commercial sticks have weights in the bottom.   The reason is it keeps the whole panel from flopping around while you play.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 05:29:59 pm »
Sounds to me like he wants it in his lap. If not, thick velcro works great. Even meatheads will be hard-pressed to pull it up unless they're trying and wedging from a side.

shredhead1260

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2019, 09:11:57 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 09:12:14 pm »
I wouldn't mind the X-Arcade tank stick, but it seems too heavy to sit on my lap and it has 8 buttons I'll never use. I think I've also added a spinner to my wish list and that could certainly replace one of the buttons so I don't have to drill another hole.

If I cannot find what I'm looking for ready made, and it seems like that's the case, I will build sort of a clone of the Xarcade dual stick (like the tank stick but a little smaller and no trackball), but on the right would be joy 2 and track ball / spinner instead of the 8 buttons.  I'll have to find plans to modify.

pumaconcolor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2020, 07:06:27 am
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 07:33:01 pm »
There are some fight stick cases that are very broad; if you use small enough parts and are able to cut your own holes into it, maybe you could fit these things all together.  But those cases are very shallow.  You'd probably have to stick with a small trackball, and the shortest possible spinner, and some small joysticks and buttons.  Maybe Seimitsu LS-5x joysticks, 24mm buttons, a somewhat cheap 2" trackball, and a TurboTwist Sci-Winder.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 06:52:36 pm »
  Maybe...a TurboTwist Sci-Winder.

I didn't know of the Sci-Winder. Neat....but strange the top is permanent.