Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRT Emudriver Hell  (Read 22884 times)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
Re: CRT Emudriver Hell
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2019, 12:29:23 pm »
BTW... I am not sure what you want me to take a picture of. I am not having an issue with VMM... how do I take a photo of it "not working" at 640x480i?
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Calamity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:02:51 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2019, 12:59:35 pm »
Then how was I able to run at 320x240 on my arcade monitor?

You see? You hadn't mentioned that before. Were I supposed to guess that?

What exactly would you suggest my next plan of action is?

Normal troubleshooting is not going to work for you, since you want to solve it on your own just trying to grab random information bits from me. I'm simply not going to engage in that kind of thing.

If you want me to help you I want to see exactly what's going on in your system. Then I'll ask you the questions. That's how it works.

Cheers.

PD: Check your PM
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2019, 01:13:31 pm »
Then how was I able to run at 320x240 on my arcade monitor?

You see? You hadn't mentioned that before. Were I supposed to guess that?

See response #29 above... "GOOD NEWS though... I've actually gotten to see 15khz through my arcade monitor.  I know it works now.  HOWEVER... for the life of me I can't seem to get 640x480i to work..."

What exactly would you suggest my next plan of action is?

Normal troubleshooting is not going to work for you, since you want to solve it on your own just trying to grab random information bits from me. I'm simply not going to engage in that kind of thing.

If you want me to help you I want to see exactly what's going on in your system. Then I'll ask you the questions. That's how it works.

Cheers.

PD: Check your PM

I'll figure things out on my own since you seem to miss VITAL pieces of info then get frustrated at me when you do so...

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2019, 01:16:32 pm »
BTW... I was coming in to say I figured out how to get to 640x480i... but I digress...

Thanks for the help provided thus far.

Now to go on a bike ride with my wife and boy...

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2019, 01:33:43 pm »
You never mentioned 320x240. You said a "generic" 15 kHz, THAT makes a HUGE difference for me.

I'll figure things out on my own since you seem to miss VITAL pieces of info then get frustrated at me when you do so...

It gets difficult to mine for relevant info inside your overly emotional posts.

Have a nice time out with family.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2019, 02:34:59 pm »
At this point I would not add the 2200G to the list of "supported" GPU/APUs... as it's not from my best efforts.  The public would be best served to know that the 2200G is problematic at best at this point.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2019, 09:02:01 pm »
Welp... I was able to play a few games of Blitz... at least...

...but since then,  nothing but stability issues.   Bottom line is that this APU doesn't like this video card.  If I remove the video card,  the system runs VERY stable.  As soon as I add the video card it makes things go crazy.

The way I see it is that at this point my best option would be to send the APU back to Amazon and pick up a Ryzen CPU to put in it's place... something like a Ryzen 3 1200 or something similarly priced to the 2200g...

Would you suggest any other plan of action or,  like myself,  do you feel that I'm to that point?

EDIT: I decided it's time to stop screwing around... I picked up a Ryzen 3 1300X and another HDMI to VGA converter. I figure I'll give the 2nd HDMI to VGA converter a go first... if that doesn't work,  out goes the APU and in comes the good ole CPU... HOPEFULLY eliminating the conflicts going on at this point... I hope.

LORD this has been a bit of a bumpy ride thus far.

:D

« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 10:01:19 pm by FrizzleFried »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2019, 06:16:10 am »
While you're still with the 2200G in (R5 out), I'd need to see a picture of VMMaker's tab where the EDID emulation options are, specifically the dropdown menu with the outputs listed.

You should be able to enable EDID emulation on an HDMI output from there.

Once you have EDID emulation enabled, go to the user modes menu and select user_modes_super.ini for your mode list. Then exit setup and press Generate Modes and Install Modes. I'd need a second screenshot or text copy of VMMaker's console at that point.
Steps to create a log:

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2019, 08:52:16 am »
Might be worth noting that running a version of VNC (such as www.tightvnc.com) on a machine while setting up the CRTEmudriver is super helpful because when you do manage to get it displaying in a mode that's not correct for a monitor you can still connect to the machine remotely and see the display to make adjustments.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2019, 09:54:57 am »
While you're still with the 2200G in (R5 out), I'd need to see a picture of VMMaker's tab where the EDID emulation options are, specifically the dropdown menu with the outputs listed.

You should be able to enable EDID emulation on an HDMI output from there.

Once you have EDID emulation enabled, go to the user modes menu and select user_modes_super.ini for your mode list. Then exit setup and press Generate Modes and Install Modes. I'd need a second screenshot or text copy of VMMaker's console at that point.

I will be getting the HDMI to VGA converter tomorrow... and then the CPU the following day.  I will use the Guru3D driver remover program to remove the display drivers for the R5.  Power down.  Move the monitor over to the HDMI to VGA plugged in to the motherboard HDMI output... re-power which should bring me to the Windows installed drivers... at which point I will install the latest version of the CRT Emudriver ... then I will re-boot (just in case) and then hit up VMMAKER.  Screen shot as indicated above... then post and see where we stand.

:)

Got it...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 12:22:24 pm by FrizzleFried »

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2019, 09:55:53 am »
Might be worth noting that running a version of VNC (such as www.tightvnc.com) on a machine while setting up the CRTEmudriver is super helpful because when you do manage to get it displaying in a mode that's not correct for a monitor you can still connect to the machine remotely and see the display to make adjustments.
THANK YOU.  I've been attempting to use QuickRes for that with only minimal success...

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2019, 12:01:12 pm »
I will be getting the HDMI to VGA converter tomorrow... and then the CPU the following day.  I will use the Guru3D driver remover program to remove the display drivers for the R5.  Power down.  Move the monitor over to the HDMI to VGA plugged in to the motherboard HDMI output... re-power which should bring me to the Windows installed drivers... at which point I will install the latest version of the CRT Emudriver ... then  drivers for the on-board Vega 8... then I will re-boot (just in case) and then hit up VMMAKER.  Screen shot as indicated above... then post and see where we stand.

Got it...

In your situation I'd do the whole process using an LCD monitor through DP (in order to keep the HDMI port spare). Do all driver installation and everything on the LCD, at its normal resolution. Then only connect the HDMI-VGA once you have enabled EDID emulation and installed the video modes on the correct output. This should make things much easier since you never loose the picture on your main LCD (the arcade monitor will run as an extended desktop). Only once you have figured out the whole thing you go on and disable the LCD monitor and make the arcade your primary display.

Now with regards to driver installation, as far as I understand CRT Emudriver replaces your on-board Vega 8 drivers completely. So I don't get why you intend to install those *after* CRT Emudriver (this will overwrite CRT Emudriver completely).
Steps to create a log:

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2019, 12:21:03 pm »
I will be getting the HDMI to VGA converter tomorrow... and then the CPU the following day.  I will use the Guru3D driver remover program to remove the display drivers for the R5.  Power down.  Move the monitor over to the HDMI to VGA plugged in to the motherboard HDMI output... re-power which should bring me to the Windows installed drivers... at which point I will install the latest version of the CRT Emudriver ... then  drivers for the on-board Vega 8... then I will re-boot (just in case) and then hit up VMMAKER.  Screen shot as indicated above... then post and see where we stand.

Got it...

In your situation I'd do the whole process using an LCD monitor through DP (in order to keep the HDMI port spare). Do all driver installation and everything on the LCD, at its normal resolution. Then only connect the HDMI-VGA once you have enabled EDID emulation and installed the video modes on the correct output. This should make things much easier since you never loose the picture on your main LCD (the arcade monitor will run as an extended desktop). Only once you have figured out the whole thing you go on and disable the LCD monitor and make the arcade your primary display.

Now with regards to driver installation, as far as I understand CRT Emudriver replaces your on-board Vega 8 drivers completely. So I don't get why you intend to install those *after* CRT Emudriver (this will overwrite CRT Emudriver completely).

Actually... I'd written that part about the VEGA drivers then meant to delete it and replace with the CRT Emudriver... I don't plan on ever installing the Radeon drivers... my error (fixing it now above).

...and unfortunately the portable LCD screen I have out there is VGA (believe it or not) not DVI... thought I MAY have a DVI to VGA converter around here somewhere...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 12:23:46 pm by FrizzleFried »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2019, 12:37:55 pm »
...and unfortunately the portable LCD screen I have out there is VGA (believe it or not) not DVI... thought I MAY have a DVI to VGA converter around here somewhere...

No problem, you can use onboard VGA output to your LCD, then HDMI to your arcade. The idea is to leave the HDMI spare for the arcade monitor.
Steps to create a log:

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2019, 03:16:25 pm »

No problem, you can use onboard VGA output to your LCD, then HDMI to your arcade. The idea is to leave the HDMI spare for the arcade monitor.

That I can do.

I suspect the answer is NO... but is there capability to output 15khz via HDMI and 30khz via VGA at the same time so both monitors would work at the same time?

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2019, 03:20:51 pm »
I was just thinking about something... I have a spare Raspberrian Pi JAMMA I/O board here... I do believe the jamma pi just uses a DAC to convert from HDMI to a 15khz signal that is used via JAMMA... if I plug the JAMMA end in to the cab,  but rather than running the HDMI from the DAC to the Pi3... run it to the HDMI out on the PC... THAT might work?!?   Basically I would be substituting the PC for the RPi3...

Hmmmm.....

EDIT: The more I think about it... the more I am convinced it would work... FOR THE VIDEO portion.  The problem comes with the fact that I would have to wire the buttons up to each of the individual tiny pins of the ribbon cable that goes from the Pi3 to the I/O board... so as it stands it probably WOULD convert the video fine... but I would have no controls.

:(

Bummer

:D

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 03:23:43 pm by FrizzleFried »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2019, 04:08:40 pm »
I suspect the answer is NO... but is there capability to output 15khz via HDMI and 30khz via VGA at the same time so both monitors would work at the same time?

Of course it's possible, if you check my guide I'm using different frequencies through each output. Video modes are installed for each output separately. This is one thing you need to take care of: pointing to the right output in VMMaker before creating and installing the modes.

If you do all the custom video experiments on the secondary monitor you always have a valid display to work with in case you screw things. No need for quickres scripts, etc.

I don't know the Pi JAMMA I/O board but it sounds like it should work. Anyway HDMI-VGA is quite a simple thing to achieve, I wouldn't worry too much about that. DP-VGA is a different story.
Steps to create a log:

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2019, 06:08:24 pm »
...and a bit of good news.  The HDMI to VGA converter came today... and I can get a VGA signal (doubled) on my arcade monitor... it will sync up!  I've eliminated the graphics card and re-installed drivers.  I've not had a chance to do anything else thus far... I just figured I'd give the good news...

Now to see if I can get a 15khz signal out of it.

I'll be returning a Ryzen 1200 if that's the case (or...who knows... maybe I'll build another rig with it... these parts are getting so cheap these days.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2019, 09:07:56 pm »
OK... I have a screen on my VGA port and a screen on my HDMI port.  The VGA port is showing on my PC monitor.  The HDMI port is showing on my arcade monitor.  I can get to a point where there are a bunch of low resolutions to choose from,  however,  none of them kick my arcade monitor in to 15khz mode.  They will go to lower resolutions... but at 30khz (doubled screen on my arcade monitor)...  I know they are going in to lower resolutions as the "TEST MODE" text gets larger and larger the lower res I go.   It just won't kick to 15khz mode.

Here is the result of the VMMAKER screen...

Code: [Select]
  _____ _____ _____     _           
 |  |  |     |     |___| |_ ___ ___
 |  |  | | | | | | | .'| '_| -_|  _|
  \___/|_|_|_|_|_|_|__,|_,_|___|_|   2.0 beta 15 by Calamity - 2008/2019

Processing config...
Exporting settings to mame.ini...

>>display init \System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{68056FB5-7FFE-11E9-88B0-B42E994B2A1F}\0000             
Listing display devices...
\\.\DISPLAY1 - AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics - HP vp17 - enabled - HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{2DE4E493-825B-11E9-88F4-806E6F6E6963}\0000
\\.\DISPLAY2 - AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics - Generic PnP Monitor - enabled - HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{2DE4E493-825B-11E9-88F4-806E6F6E6963}\0001
\\.\DISPLAY3 - AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics - No monitor - disabled - HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{2DE4E493-825B-11E9-88F4-806E6F6E6963}\0002
\\.\DISPLAY4 - AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics - No monitor - disabled - HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{2DE4E493-825B-11E9-88F4-806E6F6E6963}\0003
Device key not found. Defaulting to \\.\DISPLAY1

Getting driver information for \\.\DISPLAY1
ADL Library found, retrieving functions...
ADL functions retrieved successfully.
CRT Emudriver 2.0 (18.5) found.

>>modelist build               
Creating mode list...
Importing video modes from custom list...

27 video modes found

Generating dynamic mode table...
 3 redundant video modes found.

Reducing mode list...
 0 video modes dropped.

24 modelines generated.

"240x192_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 5.01 240 256 280 320 192 218 221 261 -hsync -vsync
"240x200_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 5.01 240 256 280 320 200 222 225 261 -hsync -vsync
"248x192_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 5.14 248 264 288 328 192 218 221 261 -hsync -vsync
"256x192_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 5.26 256 272 296 336 192 218 221 261 -hsync -vsync
"256x224_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 5.26 256 272 296 336 224 234 237 261 -hsync -vsync
"256x239_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 5.26 256 272 296 336 239 241 244 261 -hsync -vsync
"256x240_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 5.26 256 272 296 336 240 242 245 261 -hsync -vsync
"256x244_60 15.84KHz 60.00Hz" 5.32 256 272 296 336 244 245 248 264 -hsync -vsync
"256x256_58 16.20KHz 58.48Hz" 5.44 256 272 296 336 256 258 261 277 -hsync -vsync
"320x224_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 6.64 320 336 368 424 224 234 237 261 -hsync -vsync
"320x240_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 6.64 320 336 368 424 240 242 245 261 -hsync -vsync
"320x244_60 15.84KHz 60.00Hz" 6.72 320 336 368 424 244 245 248 264 -hsync -vsync
"320x256_58 16.20KHz 58.48Hz" 6.87 320 336 368 424 256 258 261 277 -hsync -vsync
"336x224_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 6.89 336 352 384 440 224 234 237 261 -hsync -vsync
"384x240_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 7.89 384 400 440 504 240 242 245 261 -hsync -vsync
"512x448_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" 10.42 512 536 584 664 448 467 473 523 interlace -hsync -vsync
"512x478_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" 10.42 512 536 584 664 478 482 488 523 interlace -hsync -vsync
"512x480_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" 10.42 512 536 584 664 480 483 489 523 interlace -hsync -vsync
"512x512_58 16.23KHz 58.48Hz" 10.91 512 536 584 672 512 515 521 555 interlace -hsync -vsync
"544x242_60 15.72KHz 60.00Hz" 11.19 544 568 624 712 242 243 246 262 -hsync -vsync
"640x200_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 13.03 640 664 728 832 200 222 225 261 -hsync -vsync
"640x480_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" 13.05 640 664 728 832 480 483 489 523 interlace -hsync -vsync
"664x496_60 16.17KHz 60.00Hz" 14.10 664 696 760 872 496 499 505 539 interlace -hsync -vsync
"768x512_58 16.23KHz 58.48Hz" 16.36 768 800 880 1008 512 515 521 555 interlace -hsync -vsync

>>modelist install               
Installing modelines in system...
Mode "512x448_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" rejected by driver.
Mode "512x478_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" rejected by driver.
Mode "512x480_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" rejected by driver.
Mode "512x512_58 16.23KHz 58.48Hz" rejected by driver.
Mode "640x480_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" rejected by driver.
Mode "664x496_60 16.17KHz 60.00Hz" rejected by driver.
Mode "768x512_58 16.23KHz 58.48Hz" rejected by driver.
24 modelines installed.

EDIT: And I am sure you'll ask,  so I'll head you off... I did apply emulation to Display 2 ... Generic PnP Monitor... even though it says Display 1... (going back out to make sure again)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 09:31:55 pm by FrizzleFried »

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2019, 09:27:29 pm »
Playing around more I had the settings at EXTEND DESKTOP.  I switched to show only Monitor 2 (the HDMI) and then I switched resolutions.  This time each time it switched,  I got a very odd OUT OF SYNC signal.  Each different (each resolution)... none of them compatible with the arcade monitor...

Using the on screen display tool you include... it clearly says 240x320 15.xxx khz ....

I am,  unfortunately,  at this point,  starting to suspect that the HDMI to VGA converter only does 31khz or perhaps the HDMI port for this motherboard is only capable of outputting 31khz?

The Ryzen 1200 is coming tomorrow.  If I can't get 15khz out of this by then I'll drop the 1200 in... re-install the R5 220 drivers... and give that a go.  Hopefully there won't be a stability issue.  BTW... the system has been rock solid again since removing that R5 220 video card this afternoon.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 09:29:45 pm by FrizzleFried »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:54:22 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2019, 09:38:22 pm »
Does the K7000 even support 640x480p(31khz)?  See this link: https://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-monitors/Wells%20Gardner%20K7000%20Manual%20from%20Williams%20Game.pdf

You should be limited to a 15khz signal in the monitor, anything above that (640x480p) should give you a scrambled signal?

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2019, 09:47:00 pm »
Does the K7000 even support 640x480p(31khz)?  See this link: https://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-monitors/Wells%20Gardner%20K7000%20Manual%20from%20Williams%20Game.pdf

You should be limited to a 15khz signal in the monitor, anything above that (640x480p) should give you a scrambled signal?

Using a JPAC the screen is doubled on a 15khz monitor when you pump a 31khz signal through it... I'll take a photo to show you what 640x480 at 31khz looks like...

EDIT: Here you go...

EDIT: And to be clear...I am using the very same methods I used to get a 15khz signal with the video card installed earlier ... but without success this time.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 09:59:48 pm by FrizzleFried »

myconsolegame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:12:05 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2019, 10:58:05 pm »
I confirm that Ryzen G can use crt Emu driver 15

I try a lot myself with RyZen 2400G on mainboard ASRock A320.
I can use 240p and other lowresolution config with  vmmaker  by VGA on mainboard  with out HDMI to VGA

I think the problem may come from MB or Bios.

On the windows, you can use software Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the driver and old config .

I installed CRT on win 10 work well

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2019, 11:02:15 pm »
I confirm that Ryzen G can use crt Emu driver 15

I can use 240p and other lowresolution config with  vmmaker  by VGA on mainboard  with out HDMI to VGA

I think the problem may come from MB or Bios.

On the windows, you can use software Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the driver and old config .

I installed CRT on win 10 work well

I suspect you are correct in that it's the motherboard and/or BIOS.  I can't even display a regular VGA signal via a JPAC ala the VGA port of mine... at first I thought perhaps I had a bad JPAC or VGA cable (i tried another)... but after I dropped the dedicated card in and got a signal immediately... I know something was up.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:54:22 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2019, 11:53:41 pm »

EDIT: And to be clear...I am using the very same methods I used to get a 15khz signal with the video card installed earlier ... but without success this time.

That looks like a sync issue with your Horizontal Sync.  It’s shifted substantially.

When you say that you are using a 31khz (640x480p), what makes you say that?  Are you going off of something on the JPAC, or off of Arcade OSD?  The only way to know what resolution you are using once you’ve installed the driver is through Arcade OSD.  There you will see the resolution and frequency.

Have you tried dropping the JPAC just to see what happens?

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2019, 12:35:29 am »

That looks like a sync issue with your Horizontal Sync.  It’s shifted substantially.

That is a 31khz signal run through a JPAC on a 15khz monitor.  You can see the doubling of the window... it's not "half and half".  Trust me... I've been doing this a long time and have been using this JPAC for literally 10 years. (EDIT: BTW,  this is a FEATURE of the JPAC... you can set,  by jumper,  to show a doubled 31K screen as you see above rather than just scrambled mess.

When you say that you are using a 31khz (640x480p), what makes you say that?  Are you going off of something on the JPAC, or off of Arcade OSD?  The only way to know what resolution you are using once you’ve installed the driver is through Arcade OSD.  There you will see the resolution and frequency.

The fact I can plug my PC VGA monitor in to the port and get a perfect 640x480p screen then swap to my arcade monitor and get the screen above tells me.

Have you tried dropping the JPAC just to see what happens?

I don't have a way to plug my arcade monitor in to the PC otherwise.  The monitor doesn't have a DSUB (VGA) input...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 12:41:02 am by FrizzleFried »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2019, 04:07:33 am »
OK... I have a screen on my VGA port and a screen on my HDMI port.  The VGA port is showing on my PC monitor.  The HDMI port is showing on my arcade monitor.  I can get to a point where there are a bunch of low resolutions to choose from,  however,  none of them kick my arcade monitor in to 15khz mode.  They will go to lower resolutions... but at 30khz (doubled screen on my arcade monitor)...  I know they are going in to lower resolutions as the "TEST MODE" text gets larger and larger the lower res I go.   It just won't kick to 15khz mode.

_____ _____ _____     _           

Processing config...

>>display init \System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{68056FB5-7FFE-11E9-88B0-B42E994B2A1F}\0000             
\\.\DISPLAY1 - AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics - HP vp17 - enabled - HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{2DE4E493-825B-11E9-88F4-806E6F6E6963}\0000
\\.\DISPLAY2 - AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics - Generic PnP Monitor - enabled - HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{2DE4E493-825B-11E9-88F4-806E6F6E6963}\0001
\\.\DISPLAY3 - AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics - No monitor - disabled - HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{2DE4E493-825B-11E9-88F4-806E6F6E6963}\0002
\\.\DISPLAY4 - AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics - No monitor - disabled - HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{2DE4E493-825B-11E9-88F4-806E6F6E6963}\0003

>>modelist build               
Creating mode list...

27 video modes found

Reducing mode list...
 0 video modes dropped.

24 modelines generated.

"240x192_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 5.01 240 256 280 320 192 218 221 261 -hsync -vsync
"240x200_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 5.01 240 256 280 320 200 222 225 261 -hsync -vsync
"248x192_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 5.14 248 264 288 328 192 218 221 261 -hsync -vsync
"256x192_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 5.26 256 272 296 336 192 218 221 261 -hsync -vsync
"256x224_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 5.26 256 272 296 336 224 234 237 261 -hsync -vsync
"256x239_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 5.26 256 272 296 336 239 241 244 261 -hsync -vsync
"256x240_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 5.26 256 272 296 336 240 242 245 261 -hsync -vsync
"256x244_60 15.84KHz 60.00Hz" 5.32 256 272 296 336 244 245 248 264 -hsync -vsync
"256x256_58 16.20KHz 58.48Hz" 5.44 256 272 296 336 256 258 261 277 -hsync -vsync
"320x224_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 6.64 320 336 368 424 224 234 237 261 -hsync -vsync
"320x240_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 6.64 320 336 368 424 240 242 245 261 -hsync -vsync
"320x244_60 15.84KHz 60.00Hz" 6.72 320 336 368 424 244 245 248 264 -hsync -vsync
"320x256_58 16.20KHz 58.48Hz" 6.87 320 336 368 424 256 258 261 277 -hsync -vsync
"336x224_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 6.89 336 352 384 440 224 234 237 261 -hsync -vsync
"384x240_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 7.89 384 400 440 504 240 242 245 261 -hsync -vsync
"512x448_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" 10.42 512 536 584 664 448 467 473 523 interlace -hsync -vsync
"512x478_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" 10.42 512 536 584 664 478 482 488 523 interlace -hsync -vsync
"512x480_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" 10.42 512 536 584 664 480 483 489 523 interlace -hsync -vsync
"512x512_58 16.23KHz 58.48Hz" 10.91 512 536 584 672 512 515 521 555 interlace -hsync -vsync
"544x242_60 15.72KHz 60.00Hz" 11.19 544 568 624 712 242 243 246 262 -hsync -vsync
"640x200_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 13.03 640 664 728 832 200 222 225 261 -hsync -vsync
"640x480_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" 13.05 640 664 728 832 480 483 489 523 interlace -hsync -vsync
"664x496_60 16.17KHz 60.00Hz" 14.10 664 696 760 872 496 499 505 539 interlace -hsync -vsync
"768x512_58 16.23KHz 58.48Hz" 16.36 768 800 880 1008 512 515 521 555 interlace -hsync -vsync

>>modelist install               
24 modelines installed.

EDIT: And I am sure you'll ask,  so I'll head you off... I did apply emulation to Display 2 ... Generic PnP Monitor... even though it says Display 1... (going back out to make sure again)

Ok, you're almost there but you have missed the critical step of enabling EDID emulation. Not saying you forgot it, I guess you tried but didn't work. This is why it's so important that you post the screenshot of VMMaker's EDID emulation screen, with all the outputs listed.

Check my pictures attached to see how it should look. I've taken these right now with an HDMI-VGA adapter connected. Before EDID emulation, it reports "Generic PnP Monitor". After, it must say "ARCADE_15". Unless you get to this point, anything else you try is a waste of time, it won't work.

From your log, I can see the outputs are not listed. They should be listed on startup right after "ADL Library found, retrieving functions...". This may point to some existing issue. This is what I get here:

Connector 3 HDMI-A
Connector 0 DisplayPort
Connector 1 DisplayPort
Connector 2 DisplayPort

Modes being rejected means that you're installing them on an output that is incompatible with those modes. Usually, this happen when these modes collide with an existing EDID. I suspect these HDMI dongles fake their own EDID in order to work. Unless you enable EDID emulation to override this fake EDID it will block some of your modes.

Finally, as I previously said make sure to use the super resolutions mode list instead of the one you're using. Low resolutions won't work through HDMI, even if they're allowed to be installed, due to the pixelclock limitation affecting HDMI. Super resolutions are the (only) way to go.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 04:18:43 am by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2019, 04:44:36 am »

That's really interesting, I'd appreciate you also posted some screenshots of VMMaker to see how the outputs are listed.
Steps to create a log:

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2019, 09:07:54 am »

_____ _____ _____     _           

Processing config...

>>modelist build               
Creating mode list...

27 video modes found

Reducing mode list...
 0 video modes dropped.

24 modelines generated.

>>modelist install               
24 modelines installed.

Ok, you're almost there but you have missed the critical step of enabling EDID emulation. Not saying you forgot it, I guess you tried but didn't work. This is why it's so important that you post the screenshot of VMMaker's EDID emulation screen, with all the outputs listed.

Check my pictures attached to see how it should look. I've taken these right now with an HDMI-VGA adapter connected. Before EDID emulation, it reports "Generic PnP Monitor". After, it must say "ARCADE_15". Unless you get to this point, anything else you try is a waste of time, it won't work.

From your log, I can see the outputs are not listed. They should be listed on startup right after "ADL Library found, retrieving functions...". This may point to some existing issue. This is what I get here:

Connector 3 HDMI-A
Connector 0 DisplayPort
Connector 1 DisplayPort
Connector 2 DisplayPort

Modes being rejected means that you're installing them on an output that is incompatible with those modes. Usually, this happen when these modes collide with an existing EDID. I suspect these HDMI dongles fake their own EDID in order to work. Unless you enable EDID emulation to override this fake EDID it will block some of your modes.

Finally, as I previously said make sure to use the super resolutions mode list instead of the one you're using. Low resolutions won't work through HDMI, even if they're allowed to be installed, due to the pixelclock limitation affecting HDMI. Super resolutions are the (only) way to go.

That cut/paste was taken WITH EDID emulation enabled on the HDMI port [EDIT: Come to think of it,  I probably enabled EDID after the cut/paste was taken].  I double checked the settings before I cut/pasted the text above.  I noted the wrong DISPLAY in my edit above... but when I checked the system it WAS on the HDMI display and EDID was enabled on that HDMI port attached to the "general" monitor while the non EDID enabled port showed my HP LCD monitor.

That said... I was using the standard resolutions,  not the super resolution.  I did try to install them once,  but they didn't appear (the resolutions) so I moved on thinking I was on the wrong path.  I will go back and try them.  I will also take a photo of the setup screen with EDID enabled, etc so you can see that.

BTW... so I am 100% clear...am I go generate the list of modes and then install them AFTER enabling EDID or BEFORE enabling EDID?  Also should I tick the "add modes from mode list" option when I enable EDID?

How I HAVE been doing it is: Load VMmaker... check settings to make sure I am on the proper video card... add Groovymame info and tick the option right below where you put the Groovymame exe in... then I dropped out... generated modes based on Arcade monitor settings... back in to enable EDID ...usually with the "add modes from mode list" option ticked (though Iv'e tried without) and then back to "install modes" .

I tried testing BEFORE installing modes...and after... I figured the "add modes from mode list" essentially did the same thing.

I've also tried mixing it up and installing the modes first then enabling EDID...

I've really tried it all (except I've only tried super resolutions mode once so there is my focus today).

I'll report back.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 09:19:51 am by FrizzleFried »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2019, 09:44:45 am »
EDIT: Come to think of it,  I probably enabled EDID after the cut/paste was taken

Nevermind. It's important to check whether the drivers are listing the outputs properly or not. That's what I want to see in the screenshot. If they're not listed properly, EDID emulation can't happen.

BTW... so I am 100% clear...am I go generate the list of modes and then install them AFTER enabling EDID or BEFORE enabling EDID?  Also should I tick the "add modes from mode list" option when I enable EDID?

First of all you must enable EDID emulation. Only after this step VMMaker will have a monitor to work with. It has to be listed as ARCADE_15 (since that's the default VMMaker's preset).

You MUST NOT tick the "add modes from mode list" option (that option is there for a specific task where it's required but sometimes I regret having added it).

After you have enabled EDID emulation, and you have a monitor listed as ARCADE_15, and made sure you've selected it, only then, you can move on to the step where you generate and install modes.

add Groovymame info

You can avoid this step by now.

----

Basically, I suspect EDID emulation is not working at all on your system, for some reason. I need to see that screenshot with the listing.
Steps to create a log:

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2019, 10:41:32 am »
Following the exact steps above...

Log...

_____ _____ _____     _           

Processing config...

>>display init \System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{D39178CA-82E6-11E9-8904-99523214DC8F}\0001             
\\.\DISPLAY21 - AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics - HP vp17 - enabled - HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{D39178CA-82E6-11E9-8904-99523214DC8F}\0000
\\.\DISPLAY22 - AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics - Generic PnP Monitor - enabled - HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{D39178CA-82E6-11E9-8904-99523214DC8F}\0001
\\.\DISPLAY23 - AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics - No monitor - disabled - HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{D39178CA-82E6-11E9-8904-99523214DC8F}\0002
\\.\DISPLAY24 - AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics - No monitor - disabled - HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{D39178CA-82E6-11E9-8904-99523214DC8F}\0003

Getting driver information for \\.\DISPLAY22

>>config               
Processing config...

>>modelist build               
Creating mode list...

31 video modes found

16 redundant video modes found.

Reducing mode list...
 0 video modes dropped.

15 modelines generated.

"640x480_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" 13.05 640 664 728 832 480 483 488 523 interlace -hsync -vsync
"2560x240_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 52.12 2560 2664 2912 3328 240 242 245 261 -hsync -vsync
"2560x248_59 15.80KHz 58.96Hz" 52.71 2560 2664 2912 3336 248 249 252 268 -hsync -vsync
"2560x256_57 15.80KHz 57.25Hz" 52.71 2560 2664 2912 3336 256 257 260 276 -hsync -vsync
"2560x264_56 15.80KHz 55.63Hz" 52.71 2560 2664 2912 3336 264 265 268 284 -hsync -vsync
"2560x272_54 15.80KHz 54.11Hz" 52.71 2560 2664 2912 3336 272 273 276 292 -hsync -vsync
"2560x280_53 15.80KHz 52.67Hz" 52.71 2560 2664 2912 3336 280 281 284 300 -hsync -vsync
"2560x288_51 15.80KHz 51.30Hz" 52.71 2560 2664 2912 3336 288 289 292 308 -hsync -vsync
"2560x448_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" 52.22 2560 2664 2912 3328 448 467 472 523 interlace -hsync -vsync
"2560x464_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" 52.22 2560 2664 2912 3328 464 475 480 523 interlace -hsync -vsync
"2560x480_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" 52.22 2560 2664 2912 3328 480 483 488 523 interlace -hsync -vsync
"2560x496_59 15.83KHz 58.96Hz" 52.81 2560 2664 2912 3336 496 498 503 537 interlace -hsync -vsync
"2560x512_57 15.83KHz 57.25Hz" 52.80 2560 2664 2912 3336 512 514 519 553 interlace -hsync -vsync
"2560x544_54 15.83KHz 54.11Hz" 52.80 2560 2664 2912 3336 544 546 551 585 interlace -hsync -vsync
"2560x560_53 15.83KHz 52.67Hz" 52.80 2560 2664 2912 3336 560 562 567 601 interlace -hsync -vsync

>>modelist install               
Mode "2560x448_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" rejected by driver.
Mode "2560x464_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" rejected by driver.
Mode "2560x480_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" rejected by driver.
Mode "2560x496_59 15.83KHz 58.96Hz" rejected by driver.
Mode "2560x512_57 15.83KHz 57.25Hz" rejected by driver.
Mode "2560x544_54 15.83KHz 54.11Hz" rejected by driver.
Mode "2560x560_53 15.83KHz 52.67Hz" rejected by driver.
15 modelines installed.

Yes... HDMI was selected at bottom left in the settings.  Generic PnP device was selected.

Looks like 7 modes should have been installed...yet using the OSD program you supply... they are not available and none of what appears is 15khz...

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 10:53:20 am by FrizzleFried »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2019, 11:00:15 am »
For God's sake FrizzleFried, post a SCREENSHOT of the VMMaker's video card tab.
Steps to create a log:

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2019, 11:00:33 am »
Here is a photo of my settings page...

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2019, 11:01:18 am »
For God's sake FrizzleFried, post a SCREENSHOT of the VMMaker's video card tab.

I was in the process... I'm sorry... this is all out in the garage... away from internet access...

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2019, 11:02:40 am »
...and to be clear... YES... I selected the BLUE DEVICE... in that above image (Generic PnP Monitor).

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2019, 11:05:05 am »
...and because that drop down was covering some stuff up... here...

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2019, 11:06:23 am »
As much as you may think otherwise...

...I'm not a moron.  This isn't working.

It works EXACTLY as you tell me with the video card... (but with crashes and instability).  It simply DOES NOT WORK with the on board video... VGA or HDMI.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2019, 11:06:53 am »
Sorry for the rush.

Ok, EDID emulation definitely is NOT working. Could you possible show another snapshot where the dropdown menu in the EDID emulation part is expanded?
Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2019, 11:08:33 am »
As much as you may think otherwise...

...I'm not a moron.  This isn't working.

It works EXACTLY as you tell me with the video card... (but with crashes and instability).  It simply DOES NOT WORK with the on board video... VGA or HDMI.

I'm not telling you moron, it's just that I'm asking that picture since Sunday my friend.
Steps to create a log:

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2019, 11:11:13 am »
Sorry for the rush.

Ok, EDID emulation definitely is NOT working. Could you possible show another snapshot where the dropdown menu in the EDID emulation part is expanded?

Just a DVI option...