Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: NEW Laser Vector Projector! =D  (Read 1406 times)

pixel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
NEW Laser Vector Projector! =D
« on: May 23, 2019, 09:46:24 am »

W00T!    ;D    :applaud:    :cheers:    :notworthy:

New Laser Vector Projector,  by  Wickedlasers.com

Skip to about 2:02..  to see them running some custom vector video games.
I believe they have their own OS,  called  LaserOS.

I am not sure if / how this could be interfaced with Mame... but, surely it could not be that difficult to accomplish?

As far as I heard from another reviewer... it is not available for purchase just yet.  Hopefully soon, and hopefully at
a price point that does not Burn the wallet too badly.

=]

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: NEW Laser Vector Projector! =D
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 01:14:48 pm »
I remember this one... technomoan reviewed the prototype ages ago.  Most arcade vector games won't work well unless they've changed something.  Notice the corners are rounded off for most of the complex games?  That's because they have to be... the laser is too slow to get crisply defined edges.  I'm not saying it couldn't be interfaced, I'm just saying it's not going to look like the games are supposed to look. 

pixel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 05:43:53 pm »

If you look at it being used to Laser Etch... its spot-on Precise.

Not sure if the games they made were intentionally rounded to make for faster gameplay or not.

Maybe if the image projected is smaller in size.. it might be fast enough to complete draws accurately.
This might be able to be refined with a lower resolution on its end.  I have no idea what the resolution is, and how much sweep distance/travel it uses.

If price was not bad... another option might be the use of 2 (or more) of them, where they alternate drawn data every nth of a second, to form a higher resolution
display.  Sort of like interlacing... but still keeping the same Vector line drawing method of drawing. (Point to point)

All that said... even at lower accuracy, it would be really cool to see / have.  Nothing reproduces Vector brightness... except with something like a Laser.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 11:02:58 pm »
I think it's another model, looking at the video now, but I still think you might run into similar problems.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 05:20:36 pm »
Same company, newer smaller model. Bright. Strong enough beam to etch things? Scary.

Anyone think Musica of the Robotech Masters here?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=orwwxw0cl6k?t=461
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 05:24:18 pm by Mr. Peabody »

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 10:02:04 pm »
Same company, newer smaller model. Bright. Strong enough beam to etch things? Scary.

Anyone think Musica of the Robotech Masters here?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=orwwxw0cl6k?t=461

I have a few laser burners.
strong enough to etch strong enough to burn out your retinas.
gimmie the glasses before I play.

pixel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 09:43:49 am »
I remember this one... technomoan reviewed the prototype ages ago.  Most arcade vector games won't work well unless they've changed something.  Notice the corners are rounded off for most of the complex games?  That's because they have to be... the laser is too slow to get crisply defined edges.  I'm not saying it couldn't be interfaced, I'm just saying it's not going to look like the games are supposed to look.

Thinking about it... seems you may be partially correct.   Lasers themselves are likely fast enough... but whatever spinning mechanism used to move and
position the mirror(s), likely needs a more robust design.

Possibly much stronger magnet coils for faster speed, acceleration, stops, changes in vector... 

***(Similar to why high strength coils and magnets are used in the best audiophile grade woofer drivers, used in sealed speakers... which is why most of the
best speakers are quite heavy, even for smaller sized sets.)***

...but maybe also extending to faster electronics, with much less lag.

Still might be a way to utilize dual laser engines... or...

Maybe split the beam in two?  Then add two mirror diverter drivers, firing a few inches apart from each other?
Im not very knowledgeable about laser technicalities.

I thought about the whole Laser etching stuff.  Looks like it can only do this when passed though a concentration lens, and slowing down the drawing time
down... to allow enough time and energy for the burn depth to take place.   I think these things also may have variable strength, that you can dial in.

Im curious also about surface effects...  for example... if you painted a surface with a material that slightly scattered and absorbed the light... similar to
that of how things work in a CRT... where the phosphor gets charged and slowly fades as its no longer excited.  At minimum, something like a UV / glow-in-the-dark
type of paint.. might be interesting to try... though Im sure there are better options.

As for the scatter, I mean... a slight diffusion effect... to keep the light from potentially bouncing back into a persons eyes... as well as sort of spreading the
beam out a little bit.