Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi/RetroPi Screen Flicker  (Read 2962 times)

mike boss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
Raspberry Pi/RetroPi Screen Flicker
« on: May 01, 2019, 08:12:12 pm »
I'm quite a novice when it comes to the Raspberry Pi.
I'm using a Pi 3b (I believe) in my bartop arcade cabinet.
I ordered an HDMI to VGA adapter, and I'm using a 22" Dell monitor.
When Emulation Station starts all is fine, but in the menu (where you select your emulator/game) I get flicker.
Constant flicker actually. I haven't played much, but in 10 minutes of game play (Sega Genesis and Turbo GRAFX) I got no flicker.
Seems to be just the menu, I assume a resolution problem. But I'm unsure where to look or what to do.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you all

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Re: Raspberry Pi/RetroPi Screen Flicker
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 03:49:37 pm »
Found a video online where someone said they had no image when using a similar adapter.
I tried to use the settings as noted in the video (listed below).

I use this adapter to connect a Raspberry Pi to an old Dell 17'' VGA monitor. I un-commented the following lines in config.txt.
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=16
hdmi_drive=2

I'll test and update.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 11:00:46 pm »
I had an opportunity tonight to test out a 19" 4x3 monitor I had around the house.
I used the same HDMI to VGA adapter, however I changed the VGA cable (all be it I don't think that was the issue).
With the 19" monitor I got no screen flicker and all worked well.
I'm looking to test now with a 3rd monitor, another 22" monitor I have in the house to see if that works.
If I get no flicker with the 3rd monitor at a minimum identify that my 22" installed monitor is indeed the issue.
I'll simply swap it out.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 08:41:00 am »
I posted  this info in the other thread I started as I'm looking for help with a few Pi issues.

RE: Monitor flicker :

So I tested a 3rd monitor I had in the house, another 22" Acer monitor.
I had no issues with this monitor either. So I can safely say it is the existing 22" monitor I have in the bartop that is the issue.

The only flicker I get now is when I escape a game and go into the main Pi menu. But its minimal and non distracting.

Before the amount of flicker was INSANE !

I've tracked down a 21.5" monitor with the same width as my existing Dell monitor (as installed in the bartop). I'll be getting that tonight for $15. I should be able to wrap up the project providing the monitor gives me no issues.

Outside of that I'm simply going to a 19" 4X3 monitor.