Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Frontend instructions for guests?  (Read 2543 times)

hulkster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2021, 04:27:59 pm
  • HulkaMAMEia is runnin' wild!
Frontend instructions for guests?
« on: April 07, 2019, 09:06:35 am »
I have vinyl decals for buttons exit, pause and coin, but I'm considering what would be the best option for FE instructions.  How to start a game, navigation, any specific key combos, etc.

1. Cool printed sign hanging on the wall next to the cab
2. Vinyl sticker instructions on the bezel
3.  ?

I know CPWizard and LEDBlinky work for games, but I wanted something clean for the FE.  Google search gives me a few examples, but just wanting some opinions from people here.  Thanks.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:44:31 am
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Frontend instructions for guests?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 02:48:00 pm »
Your frontend should be so intuitive with the basic functions that instructions aren't needed.  Users shouldn't be messing with advanced functions.  If navigation is so complex that you need instructions I suggest using another frontend. 

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2024, 03:47:56 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 10:35:58 pm »
Howard has the right idea. Is there something you've found guests getting stuck on though?

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:44:50 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 10:47:24 pm »
The only idiot proof front ends used DOS or came on a multi board.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 01:03:34 am »
Boot straight to Galaga. Done.
%Bartop

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 01:40:00 am »
The only idiot proof front ends used DOS or came on a multi board.

That's not true.  There are a good number of front ends out there that'll let you browse the lists and select a game with just the joystick and one button.  If it does that then you are golden.  You just get into trouble when you have functions that the users shouldn't really mess with mapped to buttons on the control panel.  At least that's the case when it comes to navigating FEs.  Now if you mean configuring them, then yeah, they can be a ---smurfette---. 

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2024, 01:01:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 10:07:52 am »
I put some instructions on the bezel. I doubt anyone ever even read it. Once played a few times they got it.

hulkster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2021, 04:27:59 pm
  • HulkaMAMEia is runnin' wild!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 03:23:06 pm »
I built an arcade cab for my company and asked a passerby to test it.  I picked the wrong person....as they aren't a gamer.  They first pushed every button but the player 1 start button (6 button, 2p layout) to get into a game.  This person (25 year old male) picked Rygar at random, and made the comment that "the bad guys from the left keep killing me".  I said "you need to move the joystick left to turn around".  He replied "ohhhhhhh!".  :banghead:

Granted this person may be the exception, but I want to make it as fool proof as possible.  FE is Hyperspin btw.  I was thinking instructions for:

1. skipping letters (hitting joystick to left or right)
2. adding coins to a game (pushing coin button + p1 start)
3. note about games booting up and not trying to mash buttons while some games take longer to "boot"
4. don't rest your beer on the control panel

Stuff like that.  More of a PSA kinda deal than anything, and I was just looking for some opinions on the matter.  I have one so far: "assume everyone knows how to do it".  I work with a bunch of engineers so that will be ok for 60% of the org, but I want to make this friendly.  You know, assume people don't have time to know exactly what hobbyists do within 10 seconds.  Crazy concept.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 03:32:26 pm »
Modern games on consoles allow you to press the "A" button to start games so if you want anyone under 30 to be able to use it you might want to map the start game button to start or the first button so either will select a game.  You should have a dedicated coin button or an actual coin door.... you shouldn't have to use combos to insert coins.  It sounds like lack of instructions aren't the problem... you need to set things up better first. 

If a user doesn't know to press left on a joystick to face left they've already failed at life anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.  ;)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 03:35:27 pm »
Generally speaking most people will know pretty intuitively withing seconds what they should do if your CP is labeled up and as Howard says you have a good FE. That is the point of them afterall....

But assume everyone is a idiot is always a good view to have.
I would stick instructions on the Bezel as part of the artwork, But you will generally find those stupid enough to not work out the controls are also stupid enough not to read the instructions....

As for the coin button I would use a dedicated button rather than a shortcut key.

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 03:58:26 pm »
But assume everyone is a idiot is always a good view to have.
I would stick instructions on the Bezel as part of the artwork, But you will generally find those stupid enough to not work out the controls are also stupid enough not to read the instructions

I wouldn't say "stupid", but yeah, there's gonna be a huge overlap between the set of people who put no effort into figuring out how to operate a few functions with limited controls, and the set of people who aren't going to bother to read instructions.

Not that I expect the OP to make such a fundamental mod to a finished cab, but on the subject of idiot-proof front-ends, JudgeRob's Spider-sense NFC FE sounds like the most idiot-proof possible. It convinced me to add the same functionality.
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:28:43 pm
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 07:03:22 pm »
On my cabs I try and keep it simple even though it's me using it 95% of the time. P1/2 go back or forwards through the game filters, my pause button cycles through video/flyer/cab pic/history and EVERY other button launches the selected game.

I printed instructions on the cpo once but then decided I wanted to change the controls. Wont make that mistake again...