Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Segasonic bros  (Read 4193 times)

bigster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:24:40 pm
Segasonic bros
« on: February 28, 2019, 12:38:38 am »
Game seems ok but can someone fill me in on drama on how it was leaked.  Can't find anyone complaining much about leak.  Seen gurus post but that is it.  I can t find anything online about how and why it was leaked.... 

For some reason I find the horders versus the anti horders more interesting...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 07:54:31 am by bigster »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Re: Segasonic bros
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 12:16:29 pm »
Drama?  It took me 10 seconds to find the information.  In future you need to research and find the information, give the link and then supply your review of the events.  This would make a better post of talking about something, then having people get the information for you.  I find this behaviour rather stupid, but I since kids today cannot think for themselves, I guess we have to give them a break or whatever it is called today.   ::)

Nothing is leaked. Some guy had the boards and started to make a big issue about it, and to be fair if a game craps out in a test market and gets canned, well everyone wants it even more.

We have a wonderful guy who dumps the boards, then sells them on after getting financial and physical donations, called the Guru.  The Mame devs, by some divine intervention, then take this dump and work it into the Mame core to get it working.  After that the ROM mysteriously appears on the internet by some unbelievable act of God.   Then the Guru sells the boards on once the dump is "documented".  The whole process is a religious experience from start to finish.

Unfortunately the Guru needs to keep the boards in a secure location to give the Mame project some legitimacy, as the process to get the game working requires some security cracking which is against the DMCA.   

Since this is the case, it puts the efforts of the project into the legal dark grey area as they do not own the boards for their preservation status and the exception to the DMCA provision, as required to succeed.  Still with me?

So it is like buying wii games from Gamestop, dumping all your bought and donated Wii games to a hard disk, sharing them on the internet, and then selling the bought discs back to GameStop. Something tells me that is not a legal gray area..   :lol   

What it does allow, legally, (IMO) is to repair or provide a platform for rom owners of said copyright content to use the Mame software for commercial purposes for free, in theory.

So in the future can you please just follow a less preachy format like this when you ask questions about drama on the interwebs.  Thanks.  :cheers:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

thatpurplestuff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:42:39 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 12:48:17 pm »
That reply to a fairly innocuous question, wrapping up with "please follow a less preachy format", is unintentional comedic gold.  Lighten up, captain cranky!

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:44:38 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 01:22:53 pm »
That game looks like ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

bigster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 02:34:35 pm »
Drama?  It took me 10 seconds to find the information.  In future you need to research and find the information, give the link and then supply your review of the events.  This would make a better post of talking about something, then having people get the information for you.  I find this behaviour rather stupid, but I since kids today cannot think for themselves, I guess we have to give them a break or whatever it is called today.   ::)

Nothing is leaked. Some guy had the boards and started to make a big issue about it, and to be fair if a game craps out in a test market and gets canned, well everyone wants it even more.

We have a wonderful guy who dumps the boards, then sells them on after getting financial and physical donations, called the Guru.  The Mame devs, by some divine intervention, then take this dump and work it into the Mame core to get it working.  After that the ROM mysteriously appears on the internet by some unbelievable act of God.   Then the Guru sells the boards on once the dump is "documented".  The whole process is a religious experience from start to finish.

Unfortunately the Guru needs to keep the boards in a secure location to give the Mame project some legitimacy, as the process to get the game working requires some security cracking which is against the DMCA.   

Since this is the case, it puts the efforts of the project into the legal dark grey area as they do not own the boards for their preservation status and the exception to the DMCA provision, as required to succeed.  Still with me?

So it is like buying wii games from Gamestop, dumping all your bought and donated Wii games to a hard disk, sharing them on the internet, and then selling the bought discs back to GameStop. Something tells me that is not a legal gray area..      

What it does allow, legally, (IMO) is to repair or provide a platform for rom owners of said copyright content to use the Mame software for commercial purposes for free, in theory.

So in the future can you please just follow a less preachy format like this when you ask questions about drama on the interwebs.  Thanks.  :cheers:
Genius.  This is the type of detail and tone I was looking for regarding the dump.

To be fair, I did check all the usual places for the release background, but maybe I missed it.  I found it odd to see the release mentioned in the new issue of retro gamer magazine before seeing a flame war on why it should or should not be released, etc.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 03:39:51 pm »
it got ported to the genesis, which is pretty cool.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

negative1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 06:55:24 pm »
love sega,
love sonic,
love puzzle games.

hits on all accounts.

always fun to have an unreleased game.

later

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 07:06:58 am »

So it is like buying wii games from Gamestop, dumping all your bought and donated Wii games to a hard disk, sharing them on the internet, and then selling the bought discs back to GameStop. Something tells me that is not a legal gray area..      

Genius.  This is the type of detail and tone I was looking for regarding the dump.

To be fair, I did check all the usual places for the release background, but maybe I missed it.  I found it odd to see the release mentioned in the new issue of retro gamer magazine before seeing a flame war on why it should or should not be released, etc.

Except it's 100% ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- and trolling, as you always get from ark

All Guru is doing these days is stealing things from other places then trying to get credited for them.  He was caught red handed here.
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/4748ba43c61e4e0ede3fbba4169d678c95378cad#diff-d3f97980cb46bdd23dd184695ed808ac

This Sonic thing was basically stolen direct from the copyright holder (a Sega employee) through a series of deceptive acts, with Guru trying to take final credit for that even if he wasn't actually involved in the earlier deception.  Had he been, Sega was ready to sue him, I'd already been asked by somebody connected to Sega what my role in it was since my name is credited in the C2 driver, of course, I had no role, it was a driver I wrote ages ago on which many other titles run (which in turn was based on my MegaDrive emulation)

Instead it was dealt with internally and people lost their jobs over it.  It's massively damaged MAME's Japanese contacts again tho because it's made emulation look evil to them again, so expect a lot less random rare Japanese arcade-related things over the next few years.  We'd only just repaired the reputation with the Japanese arcade scene after Guru basically destroyed it before by promising people decaps that he couldn't deliver on, getting them to send rare chips, and giving nothing back rather than being honest about the risks.  Other people connected with the project ended up spending thousands of dollars finding a method that did actually work, and repairing the damage that time.

There were constant claims by people in the arcade scene that he was ripping them off and scamming them too, selling 'working' boards that had critical chips missing and couldn't ever have worked in the state they were sold in etc. (eg. ones where the chips had been removed for said decapping) and it's at the stage where nobody in a professional capacity will work with him.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 07:27:04 am by Haze »

bigster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 10:39:59 am »
Thx Haze.  I'll pm you.