Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: pi build, Arcade Legends games different from ROM, intelli-tune?  (Read 1956 times)

get_nick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 09, 2021, 05:53:15 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi everyone, arcade n00b here building his first home bartop cab. This forum has been great getting me running with "all killer", so I appreciate everyone's contributions.

The company I used to work for had an Arcade Legends 3 game and I'd play Bubble Bobble while having a morning coffee getting ready for the day. While sitting at home during the holidays, I had a craving to play Bubble Bobble again and ordered my pi on a whim and started tinkering a day later. When I finished my build and went in to play Bubble Bobble, I noticed the game was different than Arcade Legends. A small example was how Maita/Stoner/Boris doesn't throw boulders in the Arcade Legends version.

So the question I have is, does Arcade Legends use a different versions of games or does "Intelli-tune" simplify the gameplay? I've spent probably 10 hours researching game versions, ROMs, Joshua OS, Ultracade, Global VR, etc.  I can't find any details on the game versions nor this "intelli-tune" software.

ROM version has red boulders

Thanks in advance!

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
Re: pi build, Arcade Legends games different from ROM, intelli-tune?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 04:02:18 pm »
According to the game list on https://www.thepinballcompany.com/product/arcade-legends-3-with-over-100-games/

Bubble Bobble®(1986, Taito)

So maybe give the Taito version roms a try !

ALso there is a dip switch setting in the tab menu for setting difficulty ( perhaps the easysetting makes changes such as those you list.)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 04:07:51 pm by JDFan »

get_nick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 09, 2021, 05:53:15 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 06:40:55 pm »
Thanks, I just tried the difficulty setting. Put it on easy and it stayed the same.

I'm not sure how to find a Taito specific ROM. I've tested every version from MAME.

Bubble Bobble ('bootleg redux' hack for Bobble Bobble PCB)
Bubble Bobble (bootleg with 68705)
Bubble Bobble (for Bobble Bobble PCB)
Bubble Bobble (Japan, Ver 0.0)
Bubble Bobble (Japan, Ver 0.1)
Bubble Bobble (US, Ver 1.0)Bubble Bobble (US, Ver 5.1)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 07:51:53 am by PL1 »

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 07:26:11 am »
Not throwing rocks is a sign of a bootleg version of the game.  Current MAME versions emulate the original game properly.  Those Arcade Legends things were not to my knowledge properly licensed arcade versions, at best they were poorly emulated collections that were originally designed for the home market all glued together under a frontend.  Those home collections were often based on bootlegs, created at a time when emulation was simply not very good.  Like most such products, you're paying a premium price for emulation (and often hardware) that wouldn't have even been considered great in 1998.

In reality it was probably Bobble Bobble (maybe with the title screen hacked back to Bubble Bobble)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 07:33:24 am by Haze »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 08:31:40 am »
Not throwing rocks is a sign of a bootleg version of the game.  Current MAME versions emulate the original game properly.  Those Arcade Legends things were not to my knowledge properly licensed arcade versions, at best they were poorly emulated collections that were originally designed for the home market all glued together under a frontend.  Those home collections were often based on bootlegs, created at a time when emulation was simply not very good.  Like most such products, you're paying a premium price for emulation (and often hardware) that wouldn't have even been considered great in 1998.

In reality it was probably Bobble Bobble (maybe with the title screen hacked back to Bubble Bobble)

I find this comment rather ironic.

He talks about poor emulation and a not so accurate explanation for bootleg roms.  Bootleg roms existed due to encryption of roms by major arcade manufacturers not wanting their products stolen.  Bootleg roms running on different hardware to make more quarters.  This guy reverse engineered or got others to crack the encrpytion of the very said roms,  thus creating the largest collection of" bootleg roms" in existence. Its a funny old world eh?   ::)
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 08:56:00 am »
wow, more trolling.  again, ---fudgesicle--- off.

you're not making any positive contribution to this board or conversation, just giving the whole place and the community here a really ---smurfy--- reputation.

maybe if you weren't such an ignorant little dipshit you'd know that Taito have actually benefited from the work that has been done on these devices, because they lost all the original material for all of this, including the protection data.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 08:58:17 am by Haze »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 09:25:01 am »
wow, more trolling.  again, ---fudgesicle--- off.

you're not making any positive contribution to this board or conversation, just giving the whole place and the community here a really ---smurfy--- reputation.

maybe if you weren't such an ignorant little dipshit you'd know that Taito have actually benefited from the work that has been done on these devices, because they lost all the original material for all of this, including the protection data.

Its not trolling David, it is plain honest fact.  Someone said you devs just like platitude, and I know coders (I have managed a few) and most of them love putting glass in their shoes for effect.  You hope Taito benefited, you hope Nintendoh benefited, [insert said gaming company here] maybe benefited.  I don't think they benefited David.  I know who did.  Those pesky Chinese guys that bundled your work with modified roms (that took out copyright and game titles) and turned them into x-in 1s.  Your nice side effect of the project benefited the hobbyist gaming community.  Thank you David.  Did Taito get any money for their use of their hardware/software?  Did anyone? I am really asking here.  Anyone know?  Please chime in. 

There was that one guy a few years back, working on a retro project that looked at the mame code and it helped him solve a problem.  Someone did have a positive experience.  :applaud:

I think it was the Daphne guys that went with a model where you inserted a purchased Digital Leisure game into their emulator and out popped a working arcade authentic image.  Somebody benefited from their efforts.  Why did the mame devs not have the same model?  I know Star Roms tried, and the very same companies you ridicule in your previous post, managed to get licensed roms and artwork.  Have you reached out to 1upArcade and clarified your claims that their product is illegal?  Talk about throwing stones in green houses.  Maybe you think you are a person incapable of throwing stones.  Like that bootleg ROM.  :lol

David, you are a good bloke, just don't piss down my back and tell me its raining.  OK?
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.