Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Easiest USB or Playstation gamepad to hack?  (Read 5038 times)

CoreyGH

• Trade Count: (0)
Easiest USB or Playstation gamepad to hack?
« on: June 11, 2002, 05:10:46 am »
So I've already made my own controls by hacking a MS Sidewinder Gamepad (the gameport version).  But I'd like to be able to hook up my controls to a laptop, which doesn't have a gameport; only USB.  So which USB gamepad is the easiest to hack?  I'd also be nice if i came with software that lets you reprogram the buttons if you need to.  I know that the gravis gamepad pro and the MS Sidwinder USB both meet these requirements; but are they easy to hack?  (original MS sidewinder i used had pre-drilled holes, I think I'm spoiled)

Another option i'm thinking of taking is hacking a Playstation contoler and buying a playstation to USB converter, that way I can use it on a playstation too.  Which playstation controller is the easiest to hack?  Do these converters come with software that lets you reprogram the buttons?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

toilet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2005, 11:53:45 am
    • Briefcase Emulator
Re: Easiest USB or Playstation gamepad to hack?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2002, 05:34:13 am »
I have 2 pairs of both kinds of PSX USB adapters from http://www.levelsix.com/pc.shtml.

As far as button mapping goes, on Windows 2000 and XP the controller adapter is instantly recognized. It acts as any old joystick and comes up as a 4 axis 16 button gamepad, which you can see at http://www.levelsix.com/images/PCUSB_Adapter/properties.jpg. I believe it includes separate drivers for Windows 98.

As far as button to keyboard mapping, yes it comes with a program for it though I've never used it. http://www.levelsix.com/joytokey.shtml has all the details. Any emulator with Windows joystick support (MAME32, Kawaks, NeoRageX, Nebula, FinalBurn, ZSNES, even Nemu) works fine without needing any keyboard remapping.

Hope this helps.

planetjay

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2019, 10:50:57 pm
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2002, 12:32:33 pm »
I'd suggest the Gravis Gamepad Pro (Bought at Super-WalMart for $14.99 U.S.) I've hacked several now with great results. And the best part is the price. I used then on Joystick2 and Joystick3.

I am however looking for something a bit different for Joystick5 since it has had about 8 extra buttons installed. Or I may just take out the extra buttons.

I will be using one on Joystick 6 though and a Happ serial trackball interface for a spinner.

And for those who wonder what I'm talking about goto http://www.planetjay.com and click on one (or more) of the links there......
planetjay.com. Still in Chicago. Still no hurricanes!

CoreyGH

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2002, 07:01:05 pm »
Thanks for the advice.   I'm now leaning towards hacking a Playstation controler.  Anyone have experience with that?  Which brand is the easiest to work with?  (rumble and analog sticks not required for my purposes)

toilet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2005, 11:53:45 am
    • Briefcase Emulator
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2002, 05:02:02 am »
I forget what brand name controller I used since it was a while back I did mine. Avoid trying to hack an actual Sony controller. They put this carbon film over the contacts and if you want to solder anything to it you have to scrape it off and it's a big pain. The best advice I can give is go for a PSX controller (as opposed to PS2), the cheaper the better. The low budget ones usually have larger metal contacts that are easy to follow and solder.

CthulhuLuke2

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2002, 04:10:42 pm »
I've hacked 3 PSX pads so far, the first being a Gamestop pad which is a pelican psx digital pad (no analog sticks) and it only cost 5 bucks!  The solder points were nice and big, so they were easy to hack to, and there was also test points which were like big easy, nice, handy cirlces to solder onto.  I also hacked 2 MadCatz controllers for my cabinet, and they were pretty easy.  All the controls except the up, down, left, right part had test points, and the ones that didn't were REALLY big. the L1,L2, R1, and R2 were also slightly difficult, because I'm not the best at soldering, but it worked great.
 Toilet's right, DO NOT use a sony pad, I've opened mine up to see if I want to use it, and they use a way more complicated method of controller input, so it'd be like 10 times harder to solder to, and you'd probably blow out the controller in the process.
  I've got a PSX to PC usb convertor, and it works great.  The box came with a disc that had the driver on it, actually the driver was for a different brand of controller, a Monster Gamepad, but it worked great.  Only cost me 13 bucks plus like 3 shipping.  Ebay is the best.
   -good luck
       -CthulhuLuke
http://www.geocities.com/cthulhuluke  -CthulhuLuke's Arcade Parodius

me

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2002, 07:27:50 pm »
the interect $5 pads are the easiest...then there is pelican,naki,EA pads that cost like $3....but DONT buy the $4 one...its a lot of pain, ;) one the 3.99...ITS A GREEN PAK THAT EB SALES FOR LIKE $4..boy that thing was crap...go with INTERECT OR PELICAN>>and get the levelsix converters..they dont need drivers on windows98 either..i am using it without any thing ever installed seperate..they work 100%...good luck...