Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Using Rotary Encoder with minipac  (Read 1124 times)

meyer980

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2024, 04:00:11 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
Using Rotary Encoder with minipac
« on: December 06, 2018, 09:35:08 pm »
I'm new to spinners and starting work on a small (as in size) project so don't want to use a large spinner.

Does anyone know if you can hook up a generic rotary encoder (such as these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XQTHDRR?pf_rd_p=c2945051-950f-485c-b4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=FHFFCT2ZZ7GE9B8A67PA) to the minipac's spinner pins?

I'm definitely a novice with electronics but I'm seeing the minipac requiring GND, 5V, and two X lines - 4 pins total. The encoders seem to have pins that MIGHT match up but I really don't know how it all works.

Help?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:15:50 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Using Rotary Encoder with minipac
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 11:05:55 pm »
Does anyone know if you can hook up a generic rotary encoder (such as these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XQTHDRR?pf_rd_p=c2945051-950f-485c-b4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=FHFFCT2ZZ7GE9B8A67PA) to the minipac's spinner pins?

I'm definitely a novice with electronics but I'm seeing the minipac requiring GND, 5V, and two X lines - 4 pins total. The encoders seem to have pins that MIGHT match up but I really don't know how it all works.
Based on the info here it will work with the MiniPac.

There's some decent theory of operation at that link.

GND to GND
   + to 5V
   SW to switch input (optional)
   DT to one data line
   CLK to the other data line

If the axis moves in the opposite direction expected, swap the data lines.

Scott

meyer980

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2024, 04:00:11 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
Re: Using Rotary Encoder with minipac
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 06:51:00 pm »
Thanks Scott, I guessed that's how it worked but wasn't confident enough to go ahead without asking. I'm gonna give it a try!