Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Problem With Second Aimtrak Gun (sensor suddenly all over the place)  (Read 1935 times)

Shinobis Shinpads

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2021, 08:50:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi guys,

I've had a sudden problem occur with my second Aimtrak gun. Both were set up and have been working perfectly on Mame. I then tried to add Demulshooter and Model2 to my front end and since then my second gun is no longer working as it should. Firstly I noticed the cursor was all over the place which I could occasionally fix through calibrating, but as soon as I went outside the screen the same problem would occur. I thought I would have a look at the sensor view check and it shows exactly the same problem. No IR or erratic IR signal, but after calibrating I can get it to track as it should until going outside the screen then back to the same problem.

I should note player 1 is still working just fine. Also, there is a chance this problem had occurred before I started working on DemulShooter and that I hadn't noticed it, just not sure. All I've tested for Demulshooter is vcop so just changed the Model2 ini and ran some command stuff but can't see how I would have changed anything too significant.

I even opened up the gun to see if I had dislodged the sensor by dropping it or something (although that wouldn't explain why it works right up until pointing outside the screen)  but no joy. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Problem With Second Aimtrak Gun (sensor suddenly all over the place)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 04:33:04 am »
Do you have any reflective surfaces behind the screen where you are aiming off screen?

Shinobis Shinpads

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 07:52:50 am »
Thanks for the reply, don't think so. There's a card bezel behind the perspex. Also if there was any reflecting going on wouldn't that affect player 1 as well as player 2?

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 11:17:50 am »

Can you try the "manual gain" setting which is mentioned on www.ultimarc.com/aimtrak.html.

Try each of the gain settings and set to the best performing one. If this does not resolve the issue let me know:

andy@ultimarc.com

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2024, 03:29:03 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 11:29:03 am »
I also have gun 1 working great all the time but gun 2 can be erratic. I've ruled out reflective lights, bad sensor and I've had these for a year and tried all settings but still remains. Perhaps it's a win 7 USB issue.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 12:55:51 pm »
I also have gun 1 working great all the time but gun 2 can be erratic. I've ruled out reflective lights, bad sensor and I've had these for a year and tried all settings but still remains. Perhaps it's a win 7 USB issue.

Both of mine run fine on Windows 7.

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 02:17:09 pm »
Yeah, I have both plugged into USB 2.0 ports next to each other. Thought maybe some kind of interference. Gun 1 is great. Gun 2 plays fine for awhile but like shinobis can get erratic or just hang onto screen edge? Then will go back to normal. Aimtrak software confirms this. Andy was nice enough to send a sensor replacement but no dice. I tried with marquee ,trackball light, etc completely darken and gun 2 acts the same. If someone post something I haven't tried yet I'll give it a shot.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 02:24:01 pm »
Out of interest have you tried swapping them round?

The only time I had that kind of erratic behaviour was A) due to reflective surfaces (windows, mirrors etc etc) B) Really bright light sources.

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 02:39:10 pm »
Thanks Titch, I did swap them out using the software. I found the problem followed the gun ID and not the gun itself which made me think USB issue. Maybe I should try to manually swap USB ports to different guns? Pretty much eliminated a lighting issue possibility. Tryed the IR led at different angles, with, without glass, etc.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 03:40:23 pm »
Yeah that narrows the field considerably :p

Can you plug it in to a different USB port and assign a different ID?
Or maybe via a Powered hub?
Never tried mine in a hub so no idea if that would work.

Shinobis Shinpads

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 05:52:40 am »

Can you try the "manual gain" setting which is mentioned on www.ultimarc.com/aimtrak.html.

Try each of the gain settings and set to the best performing one. If this does not resolve the issue let me know:

andy@ultimarc.com

Andy, that's brilliant. Thank you. It seems to have fixed the problem. Just out of interest does this simply increase the power of the IR? Any reason why this might have had to be changed (after it was functioning just fine)?

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 12:52:55 pm »
Shinobis,  Glad ya got it fixed. Titch am going to try swapping USB ports and will pickup a hub as well. Thanks for the tips;)