Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mamesaver 2.0.1 released  (Read 19750 times)

nullpainter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2018, 03:44:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Mamesaver 2.0.1 released
« on: September 17, 2018, 06:49:43 pm »
I'm one of the contributors to Mamesaver, a Windows-based MAME screensaver which plays random MAME games at at specified intervals. We're super excited to announce the release of version 2.0.1 which, apart from a few licks of paint and a bunch of bug fixes, introduces multi-monitor support, hotkeys, in-game information, customisable fonts, better power management, and better game management.

I run Mamesaver at work and it's a fantastic distraction and really fun to show off games that might have been forgotten.

Mamesaver can be downloaded here, or you can build it yourself. Mamesaver is open source and released under the MIT Licence.

Feature requests, pull requests and bug reports are always welcome!

Rattus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2024, 09:09:48 am
Re: Mamesaver 2.0.1 released
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 07:29:12 pm »
Cool :) I run Groovymame and use MaLa frontend which shows games as a  screen saver. But I have often wanted the ability to just jump into the game so this is great.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Rattus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 07:54:47 pm »
I will make some time to install this tomorrow.
I'm hoping by "game management" that means selection of rom types to skip such as excluding mechanical games and majong etc.

Thanks to the developers for sharing :)

nullpainter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 07:59:50 pm »
I will make some time to install this tomorrow.
I'm hoping by "game management" that means selection of rom types to skip such as excluding mechanical games and majong etc.

Thanks to the developers for sharing :)

Not currently, sorry. At the moment, all fully-supported games in the specified ROM paths are listed, and they can be individually (or bulk) selected or deselected. This does sound like a nice feature though - so, perhaps filter by game type and perhaps release year? That'd be a pretty straightforward feature to add, so I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.

nullpainter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 08:10:31 pm »
Or,  filter by year range and manufacturer, and a checkbox to exclude mechanical games? Note that we are already excluding BIOS ROMs (currently implicitly, by verifying that the emulation status is good).

Currently, you can sort by year and manufacturer, however this is perhaps not particularly manageable if you have hundreds of games.

nullpainter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 08:27:14 pm »
Actually, maybe I should just filter out mechanical games entirely.

nullpainter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 09:02:34 pm »
Actually, maybe I should just filter out mechanical games entirely.

Done. Also beefed up BIOS ROM detection: https://github.com/mika76/mamesaver/issues/45

This'll be in the next release, along with filtering controls if we think that'd be a good feature. Thanks for raising the issue of mechanical games; I had never considered it.

Rattus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 10:29:37 pm »
Cheers :) if you could filter out majong and poker / gambling / card games that would be awesome. I can't imagine anyone wants to see them on a screen saver.

nullpainter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 10:48:52 pm »
Cheers :) if you could filter out majong and poker / gambling / card games that would be awesome. I can't imagine anyone wants to see them on a screen saver.

I'm not sure how we can do that, out of the box. We're using MAME's -listxml output to build the game list and verify that all is well, and there's nothing in there that appears to be any different for these games. The approach would probably be to download / utilise a catver.ini. I'll have a think about the best approach.

The workaround, of course, is to put these games in a separate directory and just exclude that directory when running Mamesaver by adding the -rompath argument in the screensaver itself.

nullpainter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 04:38:04 pm »
Game filtering is now officially going to be part of the next release. I'll make a new post here when it's all ready.

By the way, one of the hotkeys removes the currently playing game from circulation - so if a mahjong/gambling/etc. game appears, just hit delete and it won't come back.

nullpainter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 01:11:30 am »
Sorry it's been a while, but I had to completely rebuild the configuration. However, here's a sneak peak of game filtering! I've also added a few other features which should help with users with large ROM collections.

nullpainter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 01:16:17 am »
Sorry it's been a while, but I had to completely rebuild the configuration.

Configuration screens, that is. There are quite a few moving parts with filtering so this will be a beta release for now, but I'll let you know when version 2.1 with this (and mechanical game filtering) is released.