Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 4 Player Pedestal Build  (Read 8691 times)

lomoverde

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2022, 07:01:50 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: 4 Player Pedestal Build
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2022, 01:42:55 pm »
Mike this one's for you.   ;D

I did some digging and found the cab I was talking about that I think did a great job making a retro theme collage from unrelated games and making it all feel very classic 80's.  It was posted longer ago than I thought.

You can see how he recreated the artwork to fit in a cohesive style.  I really like the look in the end.  It CAN be done!  :)

Would the scaling of those characters not do your nut in after a while tho ?

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:25:43 am
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2022, 02:09:54 pm »
I like the colour.

All it need now is a flux capacitor and a Mr. Fusion    :applaud:
Check out my completed projects!

Shookie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2022, 05:35:58 pm
  • This one goes to 11
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2022, 02:22:15 pm »
Definitely a cool look.  Just not the direction I'm looking to go.

Shookie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2022, 05:35:58 pm
  • This one goes to 11
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2022, 01:29:30 pm »
Unrelated to all of the CP stuff, I have to give a huge, freakin huge shoutout to Andy at Ultimarc.  As mentioned earlier in this thread, I bought a ton of stuff from Ultimarc last January and received it 11 months ago.  I opened the box but didn't really inventory everything to make sure I received what I ordered.  So, a couple weeks ago when I was putting all the joysticks, buttons, etc in the wood mockup I made, I went through everything in the box,.  Came to find out that I was missing an I-Pac.  I originally ordered 2 of them but only had 1.  Needless to say, I was crushed and feared I was out $100 to get another one.

Sent Andy an email about it and told him what happened.  I asked him if he would have any sales on I-Pac's coming up.  I didn't need the 2nd one today so maybe I could save myself $20 or something down the line.  Andy said no, it was their mistake and he sent me another I-Pac.  I needed a couple more $ inserts for buttons and told him to at least let me cover the shipping and buy the inserts.  Nope, in addition to the I-Pac and wiring harness, he sent the inserts and covered shipping.

If anyone reading this needs to buy hardware for a build, I wouldn't buy from anywhere else.  Not many companies or people would honor this and do what he did.  It was completely my fault for not checking the original shipment to make sure everything was there.  Side note..... don't do what I did and let 11 months pass before checking deliveries you get!

I don't know if I'll ever build another machine in my lifetime, but he has a customer for life.  I'm not sure if he's on this forum or not, but kudos to him!  Happy to share this story with everyone here.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:25:43 am
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2022, 03:00:59 pm »
Nice to have good news stories.

I've always found Andy to give excellent support. He responds quickly and takes the customer's side.

As a funny note, once he sent me a replacement ArcadeVGA card (days before CRT_emulator) and it somehow went to Austria instead (I was in Australia). I'd forgotten completely about it by the time it turned up! Other than that one time, whenever he sent stuff to me it would always arrive, in exactly 7 days, at the other end of the world.
Check out my completed projects!

Yenome

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:49:52 pm
  • Punch a fish. Make a wish
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2022, 01:02:30 am »
If I was building a pedestal again, I would delete the 7th button for player one and two.  I would also delete the trackball. 

Keep going with the build.  You'll get there.

I'm curious as to why?  Mortal Kombat gets a lot of play in my cabs, and so does NeoGeo.  I have a straight 6-pack with the 7th offset and I've found that to be the most useful for me.
for neogeo i just use the home consoles controller layout. "x" is unmapped for neogeo.
C D X
A B X

All the rest use a standard 6 button layout
1 2 3
4 5 6

for mortal kombat only buttons 5 and 6 need to swap as the default order 1-6 for mk is
hp, bl, hk, lp, lk, rn

Altho being a subzero fan i tend to put block in the middle on the bottom row so i can just hit the bottom 3 for his slide. last i looked it didnt seem like it would effect any other characters being that way.
My Gf made me put a sig up. /whipped

Yenome

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:49:52 pm
  • Punch a fish. Make a wish
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2022, 01:15:17 am »
Im not where near as far as you, but personally on my pedestal layout i have the side players at 90 degrees from the front players. this includes their buttons as well so they will stand on either side of the control panel. i havnt tried playing with the buttons on the sides being at any kind of angle. perhaps just a 30 degree angle.
My Gf made me put a sig up. /whipped

Billy_Goatfeet

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2022, 10:03:33 am
  • Bleat.
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2022, 01:14:26 pm »
---fudgesicle--- me.
That looks ---smurfing--- terrible.
I am getting ready for work and that collage just wrecked my whole day.
Artwork should have a theme and a purpose.
Please start over.

:laugh2:
 :laugh2:
I am the great "threadkiller!!"....watch me go.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:41:39 am
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2022, 11:41:12 am »
If I was building a pedestal again, I would delete the 7th button for player one and two.  I would also delete the trackball. 

Keep going with the build.  You'll get there.

I'm curious as to why?  Mortal Kombat gets a lot of play in my cabs, and so does NeoGeo.  I have a straight 6-pack with the 7th offset and I've found that to be the most useful for me.
for neogeo i just use the home consoles controller layout. "x" is unmapped for neogeo.
C D X
A B X

All the rest use a standard 6 button layout
1 2 3
4 5 6

for mortal kombat only buttons 5 and 6 need to swap as the default order 1-6 for mk is
hp, bl, hk, lp, lk, rn

Altho being a subzero fan i tend to put block in the middle on the bottom row so i can just hit the bottom 3 for his slide. last i looked it didnt seem like it would effect any other characters being that way.
I built a Neo Geo themed cab, so did a 7 button layout to get the Neo Geo 4 in a row.  After using it a while, I found that I REALLY prefer:

ABC
D

for the Neo Geo games.  Not authentic, but it feels more comfortable to hit the D button with my thumb than using a pinky or moving fingers over.

The more modern curved layout with convex buttons also causes me to lose track of where my fingers are on games with more than 3 buttons.  I find myself looking down to reset my finger positions more often.

If I were doing it over, I'd have stuck with the plain old "straight 6" layout with concave buttons.

FYI, most games in MAME are set up for a
layout.  Arranging buttons like that requires the least remapping.

EDIT:  I'll also add that I was going to add an analog flight stick, but realized that I don't care for most of the arcade games that used one. The exception would be Space Harrier, but it plays pretty well with a standard joystick.  I like the dual analog stick games, but those are more suited to a sit down cab.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 11:46:04 am by BadMouth »