Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME Kids Games  (Read 1341 times)

dgrace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 27, 2024, 01:53:30 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
MAME Kids Games
« on: August 12, 2018, 02:05:37 pm »
Does anyone have a list of recommended kids games (ages 3-10 maybe) for MAME (or other systems) or even better, a hyperspin database they'd be willing to share? Thanks

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Re: MAME Kids Games
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 12:13:42 am »
Hi. I have a six year old daughter. She has previously been all ages below 6. Her friends and assorted neighbor kids who show up at my house range up to age 13.

I also happen to have a 15 game basement arcade, most of which play multiple games.

These age ranges come from my personal experiences. I have found that while their are a few prodigies, children who aren't on my schedule are actually more likely to be behind their age than in front of it. I blame modern consoles being impossibly complex for young kids and tablets having controls that don't transfer to real life.

Age 3-5. They basically can't actually play anything. Every once in a while you will get a prodigy, but the average kid in this age range can't clear a single screen or level, most of them will struggle to even make the connection between the controls and the actions onscreen.

Age 6-7. They can start to play some games. Driving games and single button games are good. My daughter prefers slow speed boy Pac-Man as her favorite game. Kids this age will finish the first level or so of many classics.

Age 8. Puzzle games become playable, they can handle beat em ups.

Age 9+. They can play anything.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

DrakeTungsten

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
Re: MAME Kids Games
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 09:13:30 am »
Around 6 and younger, the cabinet is more of a large toy than a game delivery system. The younger ones do enjoy button mashing on the one-on-one fighters which have cartoony graphics. They at least seem to get that a flurry of activity on the control panel equates to a flurry of activity on the screen. This gives them a sense of accomplishment doing the same thing they see the older kids doing, so they really dig it.

It's not mame, but Kirby's Epic Yarn was my daughter's first video game, and it was perfect as a first game. Very forgiving, and the second (adult) player can do all the heavy lifting in coop.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:50:58 am by DrakeTungsten »
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP