Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New build advice. 6m build.  (Read 1584 times)

N49ATV

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2023, 02:30:15 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
New build advice. 6m build.
« on: August 10, 2018, 06:27:45 pm »
Hello,

1st post. Tried to view the wiki. Tried to view the FAQ in the sticky. Both give me a fatal error on page loading. This is likely a winter build. Still summer projects around the house to do.

Backstory:
We have a classic nes, and SNES. I have 4 kids. 3 boys, 1 girl. Oldest boy is 9 and middle boy is 7. They both like playing old games, and arcade shooters. Love terminator and Jurassic.
My wife wants an arcade machine for basement rec room. After a long time of trying to find a buck hunter or golden tee machine reasonably cheap, I decided to research MAME more. I’ve only spent a few days on it. I’m not sure if my ideal, shooter, arcade classic, is practical.

The building of the cabinet is no issue. I’m also an electrician. So wiring is zero issue as well.

I have an old computer I could throw in it. The computer thread in the faq seems extremely outdated (circa 2002). Unless there have been no changes in 16y. I have the following system I don’t use.
MSI GD65 motherboard
I5 2500K. Runs at 4.4 normally, 4.7 I didn’t gain much in the games I played, so for quiet I clocked it back. Can run at 5K but loud and on hot side.
MSI twin Frozer 6970 2GB

My boys love smash em up games. I’d want to build a 4 player cabinet. Prob pedestal. I think they would love TMNT, Simpson’s, golden axe etc. I’m not really interested putting any games on the system that weren’t arcade games to begin with. Except maybe some dungeon crawler type games (diablo type games)

We have consoles for those type games.

My real dilemma comes in when it comes to guns. The boys and I both love shooters. I’d love to put an older buck hunter on (drinking game), and old classic lethal force etc. The boys like the terminator/Jurassic shooters. So my understanding is that’s two different style guns. A light gun (forgive me if wrong term)? And then a mouse simulator gun. I really want to have 3 styles of guns. I wouldn’t wanna play buck hunter and terminator with a pistol, or a pistol shooter with a a different style gun.

Can I hot-swap guns? Is there an optical connector quick connect. Or a switch of sorts? I could design it into a pedestal, to have a rack. I saw that a wii remote in a shell can be used. I’d go for that. However I know how terrible performance is in the wii remotes, and distance changes from screen make them difficult to use on games. I’d rather have good performance, and spend more on guns.

I’m also curious about swapping quick swap steering wheels. I know I could clip on a USB style steering wheel for say Daytona USA. But playing games like super sprint or super off-road would use a spinner. Which I loved spinning the wheel and stopping it last second of turn. Are those hot swappable? Or would it cause issues? I don’t mind building nice mounts/storage. I guess I can’t find a bunch of info on that side of it.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where we are at with guns in 2018, and what options I have to run the different types on one cabinet. And also what hardware I should be looking at for control fronts to the PC.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 06:32:14 pm by N49ATV »

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: New build advice. 6m build.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 03:56:36 am »
Search on site for Juzi (Plays both point blank and terminator style games)
Look in Driving part of forum (Some light gun information there)

The only bit I can help you with is the supersprint stuff,  you can get spinners with detachable wheels,  4 of them and you are good to go.

Your trying to get a out of 1 cab,  when you say 6m Do you mean 6 Metres or 6 month :)

Good luck with the mission.

bigster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:24:40 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 07:08:01 am »
If you can build easy and have the room consider two cabinets.  A light gun cabinet with a crt monitor and a driving cabinet with a wheel and a lcd.  Most of the new driving games on pc will look good with a LCD.  The light gun cabinet will work great with crt but if you are dead set on LCD then look into amtrak.   

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

N49ATV

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 07:40:33 am »
6 months. I do have room for two. I’d just have to slap together a second PC. Unless a rPi would handle the shooters

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:16:42 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 07:44:01 am »
Tried to view the wiki. Tried to view the FAQ in the sticky. Both give me a fatal error on page loading.
Sorry that the wiki and FAQ are still broken.  :banghead:

Here's a link to a backup copy on archive.org.   :cheers:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160809113045/http://newwiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?title=FAQ

Scott

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 12:44:34 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 09:51:47 am »
My wife wants an arcade machine for basement rec room.

You are already ahead of most of us.

N49ATV

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 04:36:37 pm »
Yeah, that’s a real win.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:51:36 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 05:02:39 pm »
Hot swapping is going to give you nothing but trouble in MAME mapping. Always keep everything plugged in once you set it up.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 11:16:30 pm »
Pick one thing and research how to make it simple and efficient. A cab that can do everything will do nothing well.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 11:21:48 pm »
Forget guns they are not worth messing with. Put aside $400 and monitor craigslist and you will eventually pick up a perfectly functional 2 player gun game and not have to deal with how bad they generally work with emulation.

As far as the PC is concerned, please reference this Youtube video of one of my machines.

Don't use a pi. Out of all practical options (which includes picking old computers out of the garbage), the pi is the absolute worst. It is the least powerful, has the worst software, and the least hardware compatibility. I am not saying it can't do stuff, I am just saying it is the worst thing you can pick that is capable of doing anything.

Driving games, either buy a real arcade driving game or build your rig to run PC ones, actual arcade driving games have such wide combination of wheel types, pedal numbers and types and shifters that trying to emulate them always ends up coming up short. I have been emulating games for 18 years. However I don't emulate any driving games. I just have a Pole Position, Sega Turbo and Out Run in my game room instead. Also, note that those are the three most common driving game and no emulation machine can play all 3 correctly, the controls are close, but not close enough, and the Turbo has a vertical monitor.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 02:54:59 am »
There are 2 types of guns.

Positional and light guns.

The positional are for games like terminator where its more like a joystick than a gun and is bolted to the cabinet.
The light guns are the optical ones for point blank etc.

As said earlier hot swapping devices with mame is a big headache!

The good news is you can play most positional games with a light gun.
The only light gun that I would recommend on the market at the moment that works with LCD’s are the aim traks.
They are not perfect but fully useable.