Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First Cabinet Build: Fallout Bartop - A Post Apocalyptic Arcade Cabinet  (Read 21475 times)

Arimack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2021, 02:38:40 pm
  • OFNQ - Old Farts Never Quit -
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157605.0.html
Repaint went so much better. 

Right now I am starting to assemble. First, I finished the light box for the marquee.  I used hvac foil tape to make it reflective and added in my USB light.  Probably overkill for a bartop but I wanted to test out the reflective tape idea that I saw on someone else's post.

Then I added my speaker grills.  Helps hide the gaps.  I thought about painting the grills blue and the trim yellow but decided against it.  Can always go back and change that later.

Now for the awesome part, thanks to Mike A.: The Vault doors on the sides.  I mounted them using a dowel and drilled hole in the side of the cabinet.  Easiest way to line them up on each side and keep them centered.

Note: I may paint the numbers blue but for now decided to leave them yellow.  IT is an easier thing to change but once I paint them blue it will be much harder to go back.  Will leave them like this for now and see how they look once everything is put together.

So decent progress after stripping the paint down and restarting.  Hope to have most of the assembly done by this weekend.

TheGreatRedDragon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 12:40:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
This is shaping up to be a pretty badass cabinet.

My recommendation for the side pieces: Keep the numbers yellow, keep the gear edge yellow, paint the dished area blue.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:02:37 am
  • Just because.
My recommendation for the side pieces: Keep the color scheme consistent with the one on the marquee.

Arimack

• Offline Offline
It lasted one night! Fracking one night!  So I finished up 90% of it. Got everything done except finalizing and securing the layout of the interior and the Marquee and Control Panel artwork which I am ordering.  But I had it up. I was working software with the pi. I had retro pie working but had some glitches I needed to work out. Monitor was pulsing like it had power issues, so I assumed it was hdmi issues with retro pie.  But it ran games!

(the paper marquee is just a placeholder.)

I gave up on troubleshooting the monitor after I tried to adjust the config.txt to try and improve the hdmi performance.  It didn't work and at one point I had the whole screen scrambled.  That is when I learned Pi's default keyboard layout is GB not EN.   :banghead: I was trying to insert "#"s but kept getting "£"s.  So I had to learn how to set the keyboard to US.  Learned a lot. 

After getting the screen back (but still pulsing), my boys played some games ("Dad, you used to pay quarters for this") but they really liked it.  I kicked them off so I could get the dual usb joystick encoder to work.  I got emulation station to recognize the encoder as dual USB gamepads but I was done for the night.  Ran out of time.  I had just found how to get Retro arch to recognize the controllers in MAME but it was too late at night to do the work. Left it for today. The screen still flickered, and pulsed but it didn't impact gameplay. 

All day at work, I couldn't wait to get home, fix the dual joysticks and get playing some 2 player games with my boys.  Got home from work, turned it on and I got this:

Well, it doesn't flicker anymore! I don't think this is the retro pie white screen of death because the monitor exhibits this faded out image when the Rasberry Pi is disconnected. I think my monitor died.  After all the special work to decase it.  After building a custom bracket inside the cab to fit it. After repainting the bezel! One day, all I got out of it was one day.  Everything was working or on its way to.  It fit perfectly, side to side almost like the cabinet was designed for it. Now it is dead.  :angry: 

Right now I am surfing ebay looking for a 19 inch 4:3 monitor to replace it. 

SO FRUSTRATING! :badmood: 

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
Oh man that stinks.  Can you hook the monitor up to anything else to make sure that is the problem?

It's a minor setback in the grand scheme of things - you will get it fixed in no time...  :cheers:

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
IF you can squeeze a 20.1 " 4:3 in there (with the bezel it's 17 1/4" x 13 1/2"  -- display portion is 16" x 12")  I bought one of these a while back and it is working really good so far -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/183274134281?ViewItem=&item=183274134281

For $20 shipped it's a great deal (Just doesn't have a base but you wouldn't be using it anyway ! )
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:37:47 pm by JDFan »

Arimack

• Offline Offline
Can you hook the monitor up to anything else to make sure that is the problem?

Thanks for the encouragement.  I hooked up my other screens (too big to fit the bartop) and the pi is fine.  The monitor, even when the pi isn't hooked up, shows the faded screen when in test mode.  It could be the power supply or maybe something internal but its too hard to get parts to troubleshoot.

Arimack

• Offline Offline
IF you can squeeze a 20.1 " 4:3 in there (with the bezel it's 17 1/4" x 13 1/2"  -- display portion is 16" x 12")  I bought one of these a while back and it is working really good so far -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/183274134281?ViewItem=&item=183274134281

For $20 shipped it's a great deal (Just doesn't have a base but you wouldn't be using it anyway ! )

That would fit perfect but I already ordered a refurb Dell 19" from an Amazon seller for $40 with a 6 month warranty and should have it in two days.  How long did it take to receive that HP?  I might still be able to cancel my order.

Arimack

• Offline Offline
I canceled my Dell from Amazon and I'm going with that HP.  Thanks for the recommendation, JDFan!

JDFan

• Offline Offline
I canceled my Dell from Amazon and I'm going with that HP.  Thanks for the recommendation, JDFan!

THey shipped it pretty quick - Just checked the Ebay tracking - placed the order on May 16th - it was picked up from them on the 17th and delivered the 19th. Came from Yuma Az. to El Paso Tx. (think they have several warehouses so it might ship from a different one depending on where you live)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:13:42 pm by JDFan »

Arimack

• Offline Offline
So, first I ordered my artwork for the marquee and control panel. 

I went with this for the marquee (some minor tweaks):

and this for the control panel:

Ordered from Lucian045 http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,134866.0.html and he was fast!  I sent him the final images and paid him yesterday and today (Saturday) he sent me a UPS tracking number.  Will get them today!  I will upload pictures once they arrive.

On the monitor side, I am waiting for the replacement to arrive.  I plan to disassemble the monitor, control panel and marquee in prep for the next steps.  Unfortunately I am headed out of town tomorrow until next Friday so getting it all up and running will need to wait until next weekend.   :cry:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 01:18:40 pm by Arimack »

Arimack

• Offline Offline
Re: First Cabinet Build: Fallout Bartop - A Post Apocalyptic Arcade Cabinet
« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2018, 11:41:12 am »
So I am back at it (been away on a business trip, then family vacation.)  I received my artwork from Lucian045 and it was well done.  Also, it was packaged nicely.  Had a little trouble with it at first (didn't know the marquee was a two step application) but Lucian responded to my email right away and then walked me through the steps on a phone call. Great guy.  So it looks great.  Disclaimer: Any defects in the final install are a result of my ineptness not in Lucian045's work!

On the monitor front, good news.  I received the used HP monitor the JDFan recommended (BTW it was a great buy for the price and extremely well packaged.)  Before I installed the new one, when I had the old one out of the cabinet but before I unplugged everything, I double checked all the connectors, ensured I wasn't pinching any cables and tried to power the old one up one last time.  IT WORKED!   :applaud: 

I tested it for a day and made sure it wouldn't just die again and when I reassembled it I made sure not to pinch any cables.  It looks like I may have pinched one of the ribbon cables behind a metal guard with my installation bracket.  So I kept my original monitor and will save the HP{ one I bought for a future project.

Right now I am working software/front end setup.  Any advice, specifically on special keys and which MAME in retro pi to use would be appreciated.

Will post some pictures of the installed artwork and system running in a bit.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2018, 11:45:31 am »
Glad to see you are still at it. I just was going to check in on you.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2018, 12:22:48 pm »
On the monitor front, good news.  I received the used HP monitor the JDFan recommended (BTW it was a great buy for the price and extremely well packaged.)  Before I installed the new one, when I had the old one out of the cabinet but before I unplugged everything, I double checked all the connectors, ensured I wasn't pinching any cables and tried to power the old one up one last time.  IT WORKED!   :applaud: 

I tested it for a day and made sure it wouldn't just die again and when I reassembled it I made sure not to pinch any cables.  It looks like I may have pinched one of the ribbon cables behind a metal guard with my installation bracket.  So I kept my original monitor and will save the HP{ one I bought for a future project.

Glad to hear you got the monitor - even though you don't need it right now since the old one is working - For $20 it's always nice to have a spare and a 20" IPS panel is a great size for most builds so it will come in handy eventually - Not sure how they can sell them at that price since just the shipping/packaging would cost about that or more ( they have increased the price to $25 now but even that is a great deal.)

Arimack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2018, 04:13:54 pm »
Okay so retro pie and life have continued to kick my butt.  Really struggling with xin mo controller, retroarch, mame settings.  Making progress but it seems at times it is two steps forward one step back. 

But I still have a few external things to finish.  So I need some advice on the side cogs.  For the number 16 on the cogs, I painted one (poorly) and have left the other blank:

Painted side:                                                                      Unpainted:

What do you guys think?  I am leaning towards painting the left side numbers but its messy and not as clean looking as I would like.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2018, 04:51:35 pm »
I'd paint but also paint the raised portion of the number sides ( tape off the flat layer carefully and then paint the numbers so you can get a nice edge and have the entire raised portion of the numbers painted and it should stand out better - right now when looking at it the raised sides are yellow so it looks a bit off)

Arimack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2018, 05:56:34 pm »
So here are some external shots of the completed bartop:

Really happy with how the t molding worked and I like the color with the blue of the cabinet.

Note: You might notice that the joysticks are a little off centered but this is not an artwork issue but a mounting issue on my part.  I will need to reroute the back of the panel to correct this and not really sure if this is a priority as it is not noticeable to most.  But it bugs me a little.

The artwork help I got was awesome and I really like how the Marquee and control panel came out.

One downside about the Marquee is in the plexiglass, I did not get an exact fit on the glass and there is some bleed at the left/right edges.

Back of the cabinet and internals.

Tried to keep this as neat as possible.  The USB port works well and keeps me from having to open the back to access the pi.

And under the control panel.

I am happy with how the hinges came out on the control panel and the back.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:24 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2018, 07:50:20 pm »
Very Nice :applaud:

FALSE

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2024, 08:13:59 pm
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2018, 08:45:31 pm »
Looking awesome.
Did you pick Vault 16 specifically for a reason?
I couldn't find any reference to it in Fallout lore other than a goofy fan song.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2018, 12:50:59 am »
Looking awesome.
I couldn't find any reference to it in Fallout lore other than a goofy fan song.

From an earlier post :

I used the Vault Tec logo and the Vault Door icon as the start.  Also, 16 has meaning to me so I picked that as my Vault number.  Vault Tec phrase "Prepare for the future" above the player joystick.

Arimack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2018, 12:54:28 pm »
Very Nice :applaud:

Thanks.  Not 100% happy with some things (the way the top of the Marquee goes just above the side, the slightly misaligned joysticks, etc.) but I did learn a lot about the process. I am glad I did not try and take on too much for my first cabinet. Lessons learned. For next time...

Still messing with the software to get it to work correctly.

Arimack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2018, 12:58:03 pm »
I couldn't find any reference to it in Fallout lore

That was part of the reason, no known Vault has 16 (there is a 15 and a 17 but no 16.) 
Also, 16 is tied to my birthday and I always considered it my lucky number.