Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Should I sell my HD 4890 for something else with CRT Emudriver?  (Read 3611 times)

sofakng

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 04:19:21 pm
I purchased an HD 4890 a while ago to use with CRT Emudriver but I didn't have time to install everything and get it working.  Now it's a few years later and I'm looking to tweak my MAME cabinet but it looks like the HD 4xxx cards are not recommended at all?

What is the (cheapest?) recommended PCIe Win10 compatible card?  I'll be using it with a CRT (obviously) that supports YPbPr connected using a VGA to Component transcoder.  (Crescendo TC1600;  is this still the best one?)

I'd like the greatest flexibility (ie. ATOM-15 for boot support 15kHz?  support for latest retroarch which supports crtemudriver?, etc)

Hi Alphanu,

If possible, please ask the Libretro guys to fix their link to CRT Emudriver on their 1.7.2 release post to this one: https://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295

The link they're posted is to Krick's mirror, which is outdated (still old version 1.2x).

This is to prevent new uninformed users from buying HD 4xxx cards. We still see new users every week coming to the hobby with those bloody old cards. This makes the experience much more frustrating for them that it could be if they just started with one of the newer supported cards.

Thanks!

EDIT: Amazon has an ATI HD6450 for only $27.99 (!).  It was mentioned a few times on this forum.  That seems like a very good deal?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 01:51:18 pm by sofakng »

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Should I sell my HD 4890 for something else with CRT Emudriver?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 07:51:24 pm »
The 5000 series and up works much more easily, and the EDID emulation feature available to them makes it impossible for Windows or any other program to push a mode your monitor can't handle (as long as you remember to stop and disable the AMD External Events Utility service, and set display properties to "hide modes this monitor cannot display" as well). Windows has a habit of reconfiguring things by itself when used in edge cases like 15kHz emulation, and the more you do with your setup, the bigger the headaches will be using an older card.

I know nothing about retroarch, but:

-The 6450 is fine if all you want to do is emulate older titles. It should work with Atom15 but you can never be 110% certain until that's done. The 6000-series and up only have one analog output, but if you're not trying to drive two old CRT's, which can be tricky anyway, this doesn't matter.

-The crescendo gear is meant to be very nice.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 07:53:21 pm by buttersoft »

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 08:35:03 pm »
I don’t see why your existing card wouldn’t work.?

sofakng

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 09:43:09 pm »
-The 6450 is fine if all you want to do is emulate older titles. It should work with Atom15 but you can never be 110% certain until that's done. The 6000-series and up only have one analog output, but if you're not trying to drive two old CRT's, which can be tricky anyway, this doesn't matter.
Hmmm, I'm not sure what I would be emulating that would require a more modern video card?  Can you give some examples?  I can maybe think of Dreamcast but I'm not sure and even that would be almost all CPU and not GPU, right?

Would you recommend a different card so I can have more options for emulation?  $27.99 (after rebate) for a new HD 6540 seems like a crazy deal and for me to get something better I think I need to spend triple that ($75+)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:45:57 pm by sofakng »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 10:34:13 pm »
I don’t see why your existing card wouldn’t work.?

It would, but it doesn't switch resolutions as neatly, the drivers are older, and it won't have EDID emulation. Radeon HD 4000 series cards or older are no longer recommended on Windows for using crt_emudriver. It's certainly the case that the more you like to play around, tweaking things, setup new games, etc, the more problems you'll have with an older card.

Hmmm, I'm not sure what I would be emulating that would require a more modern video card?  Can you give some examples?  I can maybe think of Dreamcast but I'm not sure and even that would be almost all CPU and not GPU, right?

Almost all emulation is CPU-based. Demul might use some GPU, and same for Supermodel, i'm not really sure. But there's more to life than emulation. I'm running Tekken 7 on a Core2duo E8500 with 4GB RAM and a Radeon 6870, at 800x600@50i, and it's almost enough power to get a flat 60fps (v-sync is off, and detail is on low.) Newer Cave shooters need grunt. Stuff like Grid2 or Dirt 3 like a bit of GPU power. That's a few examples, but a lot of different games will run. Picking up a second-hand card is one way to go, but you could always buy the 6450 for cheap and upgrade later if needed.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 08:27:22 pm by buttersoft »

sofakng

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 02:08:11 pm »
Thanks for all of the information.

I checked the prices for some of the better cards but I ended up ordering the HD 6450.  I'm an Nvidia guy (and have a GTX 1080 Ti in my gaming PC) but am lost with the ATI/AMD cards and how many models they have.

It sounds like the 6450 is more than fine for emulation and the newer games (> 15 kHz) might be better played on an LCD or gaming system anyways.

By the way, should I setup super resolutions right at the beginning or try the traditional resolutions first?

Thanks again for the help!

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 04:30:06 pm »
I used groovymame. Followed the tutorial on the authors forum, and everything just works. Tutorial is using super resolutions.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 08:23:39 pm »
By the way, should I setup super resolutions right at the beginning or try the traditional resolutions first?

Super resolutions all the way. You can add specific resolutions later for particular or problem emulators, but you may never need to.

IDK, I'm a sucker for running everything I can on my 15kHz cabs :) Tekken 7 actually runs nicely at 50Hz with v-sync on, i've found, i just have to get used to standing at the controls rather than having an arcade stick in my lap. Keep dropping my combos :)

I used groovymame. Followed the tutorial on the authors forum, and everything just works. Tutorial is using super resolutions.

"The author" himself has asked that we stop recommending 4000 series and below cards. More than a few times, too :)

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,138062.msg1651281.html#msg1651281

Though i grant that i did type up that the newer cards work more easily, where often the older ones do too. With initial setup, anyway. But it's not guaranteed, and i believe the problems with compatibility are only going to increase. I'll have to try and find some of the other stuff Calamity has said.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 09:04:11 pm by buttersoft »

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 09:39:11 pm »
He already has the card. It cost him $0 to try it. It is supported. I stand by my comment. He can upgrade if he wants. That’s not a bad option either.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 10:40:24 pm »
He already has the card. It cost him $0 to try it. It is supported. I stand by my comment.

No one said OP couldn't try the card he has. He asked about 4000-series cards not being recommended anymore, that's all.

Recapnation

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:39:55 pm
    • Eiusdemmodi
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 07:45:03 am »
It's not recommended... unless you already have one and don't mind updating when needed, I guess. There are reasons to use an HD-4000 series, anyway. If you are into old 'lo-res' Windows games, for instance, WIN XP may be a requirement, and you can't expect an HD-5000 or above to be supported there, can you. Some people even have stated here that the HD-4000 is the only series to make sure some degree of blur isn't added on your graphics (interlaced or not) -- don't ask me, though.

If your eye is really sharp (or not that much, actually), by the way, super wide resolutions must be used with a bit of care, mind you. Non-integer horizontal scaling will cause minor pixel distortion you'll notice in some circumstances with the scroll, and once you do, you'll question every game...