Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Galaga Mini  (Read 3474 times)

Zakk

• Gosh, that's a real nice... ooh look, a penny! -- That Zakk is Just Mean
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:55:26 am
Galaga Mini
« on: February 03, 2004, 10:44:43 pm »
Got this one as an emergency call.  The guy bought this "working" Galaga on E-bay, and of course it surprisingly didn't run at all when he got it.  It was a birthday present for his wife, and two months later the repair shop he took it to still hadn't done anything but tell him how hard and expensive it would be to make it run.  Anyway, in comes a referral to me from a third party, and boom, he's got a working galaga.  I didn't like the idea of mame-ing this too much, but I like to think that I did it in a way that it could easily be converted back, if someone ever had the urge to.  That's my confession.  Take a look, and hopefully you'll see that I did my best to leave the past intact while making a fun birthday present for someone who's favorite game in the world is Galaga.

http://www.mameworld.net/massive/Cabinet/Galaga/Galaga.htm
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 12:09:48 am by Zakk »
Back for nostalgia, based on nostalgia.

BobbyG66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2016, 11:52:09 am
  • Current project: Dodgeball
Re:Galaga Mini
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 11:35:17 pm »
Nice 'Restoration'

Nice way of keeping the original cab, plus adding a few extra games.  They should love it!
Half of the people you meet are below average.

menace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 10:57:06 am
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 07:20:40 am »
very nice!  I wish my fiance knew you (my birthday is in may hint, hint ;))
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 08:42:49 am »
Looks like you did a great job on it! I'm sure it's new owners will be thrilled.

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 10:14:27 am »
Yet another failure, Zakk.  Look on the bright side, though: you keep failing spectacularly.   ;)

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 01:30:44 pm »
Thanks guys (except you Peale, of course 8)).

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 01:51:19 pm »
Of course!

Now get working on that Space Invaders, dammit!  I want to heckle something new.

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 03:44:48 pm »
Hmmmm I gotta toss a coin on this... I've got a lot of people sniffing around after cabs, so if I get one finished, it will be real tempting to sell it, and I could see wanting to keep that SI cab... the stern cab might be next I just don't know....

Decisions decisions....

Tell me which one you like best and I'll do the other one  ;)

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2004, 08:07:01 pm »
Heck, either of them is good.  Is that SI an original?  The pic looks like one of those SI/Qix combo models.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 12:44:53 am »
Eeek, you installed the monitor horizontally, blasphemy!  >:(

In a related note, I also have a Galaga mini mame, the one that used to be called "Artic Mini Mame", but I made a Galaga marquee for it, because Artic had copied the Galaga bezel anyway (and plus, I had sold my marquee to Todd from TNT Amusements).

But mini kept the vertical monitor orientation, and uses a class of 81 joystick.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2004, 10:53:12 am »
Heh, yeah, well it was more of a space requirement than a consious choice.  The neck of the monitor stuck out about 1" from the back of the cabinet when set vertical, and instead of installing a 15" monitor or trying to hack in the arcade monitor (trying to eliminate repair calls here), I set it horizontal.  Oddly enough, when the 17" is horizontal, and the game is vertical, it's about the same size and look as the original 13" monitor would have been.  :sigh:  I really would have preferred it vertical, so that I could have just used the old bezel, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. :)

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2004, 04:51:49 am »
I often have to section the back doors of Mame cabinets for the monitors to poke out. The worst of which is my Amazing Maze, which has a monitor that pokes out about 3".

In the case of a one or two inch variation it is pretty simple. You just make the required cut in the back door, then surround the cut with a 2x4, and then put ply wood over it. If it is then wise to make an identical protrusion near the bottom so that the game can still be laid flat on it's back.

It isn't just Mame cabinets you see this done on. My first Turbo was modded that way when I got it, and Dave's Robocop is as well. (Replacement monitors don't always have the same size frame).
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Edgedamage

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2018, 12:21:23 am
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2004, 08:07:40 pm »
Great work on that cab. I am sending this message as I am looking at that wonderful wooden cocktail cab I got from you.
Curls in the squat rack !?!?!

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2004, 06:21:41 pm »
Great work on that cab. I am sending this message as I am looking at that wonderful wooden cocktail cab I got from you.

Hey, here's a  weird coincidence...where do you think that 17" monitor that I used in there came from?

Can you say Deano???  ;D

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2004, 06:26:37 pm »
Heck, either of them is good.  Is that SI an original?  The pic looks like one of those SI/Qix combo models.

Heh, smart guy, how could you tell?  The little pic is just one I grabbed off the net somewhere, as it was just too cold to go to the garage and take a picture of the actual cabinet :)

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2004, 06:27:53 pm »
I often have to section the back doors of Mame cabinets for the monitors to poke out. The worst of which is my Amazing Maze, which has a monitor that pokes out about 3".

In the case of a one or two inch variation it is pretty simple. You just make the required cut in the back door, then surround the cut with a 2x4, and then put ply wood over it. If it is then wise to make an identical protrusion near the bottom so that the game can still be laid flat on it's back.

It isn't just Mame cabinets you see this done on. My first Turbo was modded that way when I got it, and Dave's Robocop is as well. (Replacement monitors don't always have the same size frame).

I know what you mean, but I was hoping not to modify the cab aby more than needed.  Plus, this one HAD the big plastic bulge in the back already, but it was about 3 inches too high for the new monitor...figures.... :)