Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: universal controller  (Read 2731 times)

psilocybster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2004, 04:52:21 pm
  • I'm a llama!
universal controller
« on: February 02, 2004, 07:03:40 pm »
hello all,
i am looking for a little help, this is what iam trying to accomplish:
set of controlls  (happ joystick and button )i am trying to combine snes, nes,sega, psx controllers into one arcade cabinet
using only 5 happ buttons  ive combined the A from nes the A from snes  the A from sega and the X from psx and so on running these to the happ pushbuttons , is this possible? it works fine as long as i only have 1 controller hacked in if i add another i start getting weird actions. i might have a wire or 2 shorted though
any suggestions?
also i looked at the psx controller adapters at lik sang.
is it possible to split 1 psx controller into three and the run each through a 1snes adapter  2 nes adapter 3 sega adapter and have these constantly attached  so all i would have to do is power down a console an power up the next to switch games?
thanks for any help!

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
Re:universal controller
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 08:36:41 pm »
Sorry dude, it aint that easy....so "no" to both your questions.  Hack each console seperately and use a common connector to the control panel (like molex of db25).

psilocybster

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 07:25:37 am »
thanks for the reply, I dont give up easy though! about this molex plug, do they make a splitter for these? 1 input 3-4 output..
also i need a 16 pin plug that would belike this:
                   _______        ____16 pin
         |\       | 4 pos   |      /_____16 pin
16pin|  -----|switch   |--------------16 pin
         |/       |______|       \_____16 pin
« Last Edit: February 03, 2004, 07:38:12 am by psilocybster »

jakejake28

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2005, 07:23:54 pm
  • Thank you sir, may I have another?
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 07:56:48 am »
i've gotta agree with the molex connecters. then its just:

SNES CTRLR ----->Molex
NES  CTRLR ------>Molex        Molex -----> PS CTRLR              
SEGA CTRLR ----->Molex

It's all about the Pentiums

psilocybster

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 08:41:32 am »
can you give a little more info on exactly how your using this molex connector? ???

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2004, 12:21:38 pm »
The molex connector is just a male/female plug you use as your common interface for all hacked pads (hack each input to the same pin number).  Then just plug in whichever hacked pad you want to your control panel molex plug.

From your previous note it looks like now you are suggesting a switch box approach...that will work also since only one pad is connected at a time.  But its a little more difficult working with the smaller DB25 ribbon cable.  Be sure you buy (or make) a cable which has lines that go straight through (standard serial and parallel cables have some lines which cross).

Do a search on "switchbox" and you should pull up some older discussion threads.

psilocybster

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2004, 12:29:42 pm »
thanks for the help!

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 09:28:19 pm »
Be sure you buy (or make) a cable which has lines that go straight through (standard serial and parallel cables have some lines which cross).
Standard serial or parallel extension cables use all the pins and go straight through. Standard printer cables do switch pins and don't always use all of them. So get extension cables and they'll work fine. An extension cable has to use all the pins and has to go straight through or it wouldn't work as an extension cable.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.